Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
RV Portable Ladders

We are at the Tampa Rally.
Our coach is a 2015 Dutch Star 4369.
I've been looking at ladders in the vendors buildings.
If I get a ladder it will be for using to clean the coach ,Windows,Sides etc.
I have no desire to go climbing on the roof ( too easy to have an accident).
Any recommendations??
Dave H
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really like the GPL Compact Folding ladder. When not in use, it folds up nicely and when in use, it is an A-Frame and I feel comfortable on it cleaning the windshield.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

We have and like the Xtend and Climb ladders, they are strong, sized properly for your weight, are not to heavy and stow very well. We have the same coach as you and I comfortably use it to get to the roof, if I need to. Great ladders for a great coach
All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Extenda-Climb is great because they collapse into itself, and is very easy to store and carry. It can also be extended just the amount you need, from a window to the roof. I really like mine and I'm glad I have it.

Folding ladders take up too much space and are the same ladder, but shorter and thicker to carry and store. (My opinion, of course).
Old 01-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at this one. It can adjust to many different heights. I'm a 300lbs guy, so it works well in holding me up.

Xtend & Climb 780P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type IA Professional Series, 12.5-Foot

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JIMVY6..._pPQLwb6ZD5RAC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also use the GPL 7' Double-Sided Rung Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-D7 - Ladders - Camping World. It's a double sided, double rung 7' A-frame that holds up my 300 pound butt. I've had one for years. IN both my Diplomat and the Dutch Star, I bought 6" plastic fence posting at Lowes and mounted it to the wall of my pass thru bay. The ladder slides nicely into the tube and is always easy to access.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
YC1

Do yourself a favor and stop by the Little Giant booth. Mine is several years old. I had it powder coated to match the rv for about $100. It hangs on a bracket on the RV ladder. That bracket is used for lawn chairs normally. Using a good bicycle lock it stays in place. My RV ladder had the hang on extension and was designed to be used only when needed. I bought a few inexpensive components and it is now attached all of the time until I need to get into the access panel. Two plastic wing nuts holds it in place. The whole setup is solid and does not take up valuable storage space.

As for the Little Giant. It is not cheap but then a fall is not either. They are so stable due to the wide bottoms. I have never felt uneasy sitting on top with my legs hanging over each side and planted on the steps. The steps are on both sides so you can go up or down easily.

It can be used as an extension or A frame. They can be taken apart and used as a scaffolding but at my age that is not safe. I had one and used it for years but I now have a roll around scaffold at home for servicing.

The booth was packed at the RV show today.

One last comment. With the ladder hanging on the back of the existing ladder I can actually climb right onto the rv ladder using the Little Giant hanging there. A small step stool to get to the first rung and then off I go. I am too lazy to take it off sometimes or just need to get up there quickly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For a full size, real A frame ladder you can't go wrong with a Little Giant. We have a 4369 and ours stores in the passenger side basement compartment that is 3/4 depth (Oasis is on the opposite side)
We are at the Newmar Rally in site 932

If you're looking at the telescoping ladders, Jeff (ZAlaska) has a real nice one. He is next to us in site 930.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm also a big fan of the 7' GPL A-frame double sided ladder, (you can normally find them on Ebay for much less than CW).

When loaded into the pass-through it takes up about 4"x4"! It almost disappears.

And, I have the accessory "top rung", (purchased on clearance at CW for $3.95), attached.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Another vote for "Extend and Climb" ladders. We have a 12.5' ladder that meets our needs and takes up very little space. I have and used to carry a Little Giant, great ladders, VERY strong BUT VERY heavy!!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #11

Like some others I use the GPL they listed. It stores exceptionally well taking very little space. However I am only 155 pounds and fairly fit. If I were 200+ pounds and not real comfortable on ladders I might want something more solid.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

Another for the extend and climb. Love mine.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Supplier building "B". Almost dead center in the building is a ladder supplier. Have him demonstrate his products. See what you think. He is in the same place every year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We have both the 7' GP Logistics folding ladder, and the 14 1/2' Telesteps telescoping ladder. Both have their strengths / purposes.
I've found the Telesteps to be considerably more stable, and use it for windshield cleaning, wash / wax, and roof access. A simple pool noodle & shelf anti-skid protect the finish of the coach. 20 seconds up, and 5 seconds down - with 300 # capacity - very secure. Stores easily in the "pegboard compartment" in our DSDP.
zalaska is offline   Reply With Quote