Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 06:45 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
Question RV Power Monitor For ATS Installation Question

Hi,

I'm wanting to install an RV Power Monitor For ATS on the inside of my coach near my dash area. I've run the wires from the back of the surge Protector to the front of the coach and have yet to thread it up into the coach as I'm not sure where to install it and whether I can safely cut into the wall by the driver's side window. Has anyone installed this into their coach and have advice for me. Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can give me!!! I really appreciate it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8220.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	281890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8219.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	281891  

DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #2

I haven't installed that switch but, You can run wires through the grommet located in the electronics storage area just below the drivers side window. I've run a few different wires using that location. Once the cup holder has been removed, you can see where the wire bundle enters the coach and a piece of wire bent like a hook will retrieve the wires.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #3

Not much help but I wanted to install mine inside the coach but decided to mount it in my power bay, I prefer it in that location and it was a far easier install.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a thought....I have the same ATS and bought that monitor. I mounted mine in the power cord bay. Here's why......when you plug in, you want to know if the power is good on both legs. With it in the power cord bay, you can immediately see if everything is correct. I also laminated the codes and pasted them to the bay door.

You have your Magnum panel and Progressive Industries panel inside the coach, near the dash, that can give you exactly the same info. So why triple the info, use the monitor in the power cord bay where you can check to see what's happening when you're outside trying to figure out why you have no power, rather than run in and out of the coach.

Lastly, there are times when my coach may seamlessly change over to inverter power because the power went out. Being lazy, I didn't want to have to get up from whatever I was doing and check the panels above the driver's seat. On my coach, I have the True Induction cooktop that is NOT powered by the inverter, shore power only. It's powered by a two plug outlet behind the cooktop. I bought a 110 volt LED, wired it to a small power cord and plugged it into that outlet. I had a small brass tag made that says shore power and installed it near the sink where I could see it from anywhere in the coach. With a quick glance, I see if shore power is connected.

Name:	20191206_164218.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	281931

Name:	20200115_124245.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	281932

Name:	20200115_124241.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	281933
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #5

I preferred having it inside the electrical compartment so I can read voltages as soon as I plug in. I can read them inside already so did not see a need to have it inside. I attached it to the inside of the door near the upper right corner and just zip tied the cable to the existing cable already running into the door.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I mounted mine above the drivers seat. Ran the wires in the electrical bay below the drivers seat, up into the drivers side arm rest and up the A pillar. Because I inverted the entire panel it shows me if I have shore power. The precision circuits monitor now shows shore power or inverter voltage because they both go thru the 120/240v panel .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2567.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	281990  

Tags
install, monitor, power