Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
RV Recommendations for potential buyers

I see discussions all the time with people buying New Motor-homes or just new to the lifestyle and do not know yet what components an RV should have. So my list below is an attempt to try and generate food for thought!

My intent with this list is not to show what I know or do not know, but as a discussion to get a consensus on what to look for today whether used or new. (Disclaimer Not mentioning brand names of coaches, up to individual buyer to decide.

1. Floor plan most important you have to live in it and like it
2. New or Used up to the buyer
3. Gas or Diesel up to buyer
4. Power generation: Pure Sine Inverter/Charger (2000 watts or larger) (Some will say modified Sine is fine and cheaper; disagree for new technologies of the future)
5. Automatic Generator Start (AGS) (either by battery levels or coach temperature) Great safety feature for your coach and potential to keep pets safe.
6. Automatic Mechanical slide locks must have IMOP, just push the in or out and be done. Nothing to remember to do.
7. Good fluid level monitors for fresh water, Grey water, Black Water Power and Propane if applies. Brand to be determined by your research. Good one are sometimes sacrificed to keep cost of RV down
8. Batteries and the number. Deep Charging, AGM or others. (AGMs are costly but seem to be well praised) Need Coach and Chassis batteries. (two high starting amp batteries for Chassis and six plus batteries for coach seem to be common)
9. Battery Isolation Monitor (BIM) and Energy Management System key to Happy Camping. BIRD system in older Coaches before 2010 I believe.
10. Automatic Leveling Jacks (Hydraulic or Air and some even have both now)
11. Comfort Drive with Independent Front Suspension is ideal for me
12. Electrical Reels (Electric and Water power rewinds) a time saver
13. Macerator Toilets or Maceration discharge system for dumping
14. Back up Camera with a good voice system to hear Ground Guide behind coach and driver
15. Some might say: turn signal with cameras, I rely on my mirrors
16. Automatic Awnings for unforeseen winds (Either you love them or you don't)
17. Sound system in Coach while driving, you start off not really caring about quality, then realize your driving many hours on the road.
18. USB ports and additional 110 outlets seem popular today
19. Hydronic Heating: (Oasis and Aqua Hot seem most common) I love mine.
20. Number of AC units: 1, 2 or 3. Two seems most common. If you only get two make sure at least 15,000 BTUs.
21. Fantastic Fans: 1, 2, or 3. One for Galley and one for each for bathroom.
22. Appropriate AMP electrical surge protector: Permanent or mobile (argument with mobile is ensuring you secure surge protector so as not to walk off by thieves) (I would recommend Progressive Industries; mainly due to life time warranty and reputation. (Must have receipt or bill of sale other wise a $100.00 plus to get repaired)
23. Recessed Docking lights: (Do not have and wish I did)
24. Satellite coverage: Direct TV Satellite coverage over Dish in my area is the preference and ease of use. (You have Stationary and In-Motion) Not used my in-motion yet beyond stationary.
25. Comfortable Captains Chairs for Driver and Passenger Seat up front. Ensure you get at least the six function electric adjustment for comfort, to many miles to drive and not be comfortable.
26. Good quite generator that is of appropriate size to run your designed coach. Onan seems to be very popular, however, I am seeing some RV'ers also have one or more little portable Honda generators. Some coaches have generator on slides and some are fixed. I prefer the generator on a slide for more options.
27. All electric Coaches seem to be popular, still love my propane for cooking. Argument is more battery space if all electric, due to no compartment needed for propane. Maybe even a little more storage space.
28. What can your coach carry after buying; have coach weighed before buying. Know your axle weights so you do not over load with what you will desire to carry.
29. If buying used: Must have good current maintenance records. Buyer to buyer preferred over buyer dealerships for the best prices.
30. Insurance: Prices vary; most costly is with lower deductibles and replacement cost. Do not forget to ask about windshield replacement.
31. Spare Tire: Most agree to have a good plan instead of carrying a heavy where to put tire. Have a protection plan instead that will provide assistance. My Insurance plan covers but I also have another one as backup.
32. Length of Motor Home. Many say over 37 feet you become limited to many state parks. I have 43 feet and run into very little problems so far.
33. LED lights throughout Coach, upgrade to give better lighting and less demand to batteries and power needs.
34. Full Wall slides (FWS): Normal slide operate as expected, FWS by manufacturer must follow directions and will differ in most cases to their small slides. FWS equate to more living space generally speaking only.
35. Convection Microwave: Quick easy way to cook. The most acclaimed microwave I have seen discussed so far on IRV2 is the GE Advantium. Bought one and have no regrets. On the pricey side though.
36. Residential Refrigerator: I will never go without one again. Also I do not plan to boondock either. My Samsung refrigerator works awesome and makes ice like I have never seen. Also, I have the refrigerator/freezer outside within one of my storage compartments on a slide out. Must have for me, love having it but only used twice in 18 months. If you full time, I would venture to say an almost must have.
37. Entertainment center: Up to buyer on the quality you desire, I put it here for you to at least look at and do not take it for granted, some are very disappointed in the quality after the fact. Surround System, HD TVs, DVRs, AMPs ect..
38. 12 volts vs 120: understand the difference. Inverter/converter is there to assist (change battery power to 120 or vice versus), most coaches only need to invert power from batteries to run your refrigerator and some other small electrical items. More batteries/larger inverter/converter can increase capability and make a difference, again based on your needs.
39. Battery Charger: Generally speaking only: Magnum Inverter/Charger is very common and can get power from Coach Engine when running, generator and shore power. (not only does it invert but also converts as well)
40. Chassis: Ensure you research the many types out there and many function differently based on desired weight that needs to be carried and the level of comfort a buyer is looking for. (I say that very generally) Let your research give you information to hone into a coach that fits your personal needs.
41. Money: Availability of funds is probably the most key factor on what you go after. Also the age of RV can assist in getting cost down and open up options. Brand New and having a company work with you on its design is premier if you can afford. In my reality though, used is my option and have no regrets.
42. HD TV: Many have Wine Guard with Batt Wings and a booster. HD TV so far is free as long as a local channel so to speak. There are more robust systems you can buy.
43. Towing weight of RV bumper and Coach Towing capacity: many RV'ers tow a vehicle. Know what your coach can tow by weight, also know your car. Not all cars are able to be towed either four wheels down or tow dolly (two front tires up on dolly normally). Total Car carriers are expensive so research before you buy either car or coach.

Going to stop here. I hope this information can be enhanced and this list that can be added to or reduced. I know there are strong feelings on IRV2, so if I got something wrong I apologize now, but almost everyday the membership and visitors are looking for recommendations. So hopefully this discussion will provide a good list for RV'er now and in the future that can used.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

Very well written and thought out Nice job!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #3

Home On Wheels

For the most part we are all purchasing a home on wheels. When purchasing a home what are some of the considerations that you require. Most of us are not full timing, but spending 3 to 4 months in the warmer climates, constitutes a home on wheels according to the IRS

Is insulation a factor in the buying decision, I have had both, a coach built like a track home with minimal insulation, and I have owned a Newmar that is 16 inch on center with dual layers of wall insulation, 6 inches of ceiling insulation, this RV was built more like a custom home. We never realized how good we had it, the outside noises were night and day different, when we ran the A/C units, we never had to crank up the volume of the TV. Never heard the rain on the roof. Even driving down the road, we didn't get the road noise we have now.
While speaking of driving, shouldn't that be a HUGE part of the equation, who desires to be stressed out with sore shoulders after 3-4 hours on the road. I'm here to tell you, I have to work like a madman to control our bus on windy days and crowned roads. If you don't think comfort drive is a HUGE plus, you haven't driven it on a long trip!
I'm not here to plug any Mfg. but what I consider extremely important factors for after the purchase and living in the RV, were never mentioned in all your topics. Am I the only one who feels like I want my 300K RV to feel and sound like a residential home? To be able to drive the coach for 7 or 8 hours and still have a good attitude when we arrive?
Just my .02 thoughts.
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I would add an extended warranty, US Plus has been a good outfit for us.
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon129 View Post
For the most part we are all purchasing a home on wheels. When purchasing a home what are some of the considerations that you require. Most of us are not full timing, but spending 3 to 4 months in the warmer climates, constitutes a home on wheels according to the IRS

Is insulation a factor in the buying decision, I have had both, a coach built like a track home with minimal insulation, and I have owned a Newmar that is 16 inch on center with dual layers of wall insulation, 6 inches of ceiling insulation, this RV was built more like a custom home. We never realized how good we had it, the outside noises were night and day different, when we ran the A/C units, we never had to crank up the volume of the TV. Never heard the rain on the roof. Even driving down the road, we didn't get the road noise we have now.
While speaking of driving, shouldn't that be a HUGE part of the equation, who desires to be stressed out with sore shoulders after 3-4 hours on the road. I'm here to tell you, I have to work like a madman to control our bus on windy days and crowned roads. If you don't think comfort drive is a HUGE plus, you haven't driven it on a long trip!
I'm not here to plug any Mfg. but what I consider extremely important factors for after the purchase and living in the RV, were never mentioned in all your topics. Am I the only one who feels like I want my 300K RV to feel and sound like a residential home? To be able to drive the coach for 7 or 8 hours and still have a good attitude when we arrive?
Just my .02 thoughts.
Thank you for your thoughts. Insulation a good one. How to make a motorhome a home, is up to individuals and there requirements and experience IMOP. I tried to bring up items for buyers to consider and research. We have many people that get on this forum and go one item at a time.

I brought up comfort items like Captains chairs, independent front suspension and comfort drive. What else would you add to assist for that 7 to 8 hours drive. I tried to stay away from isolating the diesel out from gas. So if you spent 300k, I'll make the educated guess you have a diesel pusher.

All the best.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #6

Sidewinder4,

I appreciate your list, however, for the most part, your must have items are for Newmar Dutch Star and higher DPs which eliminates the choice in item #3 and choice of brand (no other brand has Comfort Drive nor does Newmar Gassers). It is more like a list for someone's "forever" motorhome. Most who are new to RVing don't go directly to the top unless they have a considerable amount of cash they can part with if they don't enjoy it. Not everyone on here is retired and have the time to full-time or snowbird. My wife and I are only 46 and 45 respectively. I am retired Air Force (not completely retired) and my wife is a Middle School Teacher. We started with tent camping 14 years ago while stationed in Alaska and have progressed thru TT, Fivers, Gasser, and now we have a Ventana DP on order. We have enjoyed every stage of this lifestyle and wouldn't change any of it. It was a great learning experience and gives us more understanding what we wanted when we made the leap to the next level.

My point being, it would be great to be able to start directly at the top with the first foray into this lifestyle, but not feasible and/or justifiable for most.

I don't want to ruffle your feathers as your list is very well thought out and goes into good detail, but just not for everyone who is wanting to start out in a Motorhome.

John
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
Sidewinder4,

I appreciate your list, however, for the most part, your must have items are for Newmar Dutch Star and higher DPs which eliminates the choice in item #3 and choice of brand (no other brand has Comfort Drive nor does Newmar Gassers). It is more like a list for someone's "forever" motorhome. Most who are new to RVing don't go directly to the top unless they have a considerable amount of cash they can part with if they don't enjoy it. Not everyone on here is retired and have the time to full-time or snowbird. My wife and I are only 46 and 45 respectively. I am retired Air Force (not completely retired) and my wife is a Middle School Teacher. We started with tent camping 14 years ago while stationed in Alaska and have progressed thru TT, Fivers, Gasser, and now we have a Ventana DP on order. We have enjoyed every stage of this lifestyle and wouldn't change any of it. It was a great learning experience and gives us more understanding what we wanted when we made the leap to the next level.

My point being, it would be great to be able to start directly at the top with the first foray into this lifestyle, but not feasible and/or justifiable for most.

I don't want to ruffle your feathers as your list is very well thought out and goes into good detail, but just not for everyone who is wanting to start out in a Motorhome.

John
Fair comments. Thanks. Also retired (Army) with 30 years plus.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Excellent list and fantastic recommendations, would have been nice to have a concise list like this last year when we bought. Most of this info is out there in the forum, but nothing so concise. Future buyers will welcome this list.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for taking the time to put that list together. While you didn't say brand...several items were Newmar specific but you did put this in the Newmar Owners Forum area so no reason to hide that pride.

I'm one of those that didn't start with a "forever home" but wish I had done so to save a bit of time and cash. But...here I am. LOL

Without getting too deep in the weeds I will comment on item 28 regarding what the coach can carry. As a VERY GENERAL rule of thumb I tell folks that for DPs consider you will only be able to add about 50% CCC/NCC weight listed on the coach's weight sticker. At that point you could start running into issues with axle weight limits. In general that will be most likely the front axle on tag axle coaches. Take particular care when evaluating 2016 DSDPs with full wall slides due to weight issues specific to those models that are getting an upgraded front axle/airbags to deal with weight issues.

Of course, having a tag axle and/or overall length will play some role and getting proper corner weights is a must to further refine this general GUESS. Getting a pre-purchase weighing is smart if you think you will be running on the heavy side like full timers generally will.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote