Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #1

RV Storage Questions

I am considering a purchase, doing a lot of research now. Expect to buy my "last RV first" in the next two years or so.

Do you store your RV inside or outside?
How do you store it - slides in or out?

If outside, what do you do to protect it from the elements long term? (cover? solar for battery? electric plug in?)

How do you control the humidity et all.....

What am I not asking that I should know?

I am in Northern Virginia. Prince William county is very RV friendly (no property tax) and I could store it on a military base for a great price (no electric)

I am just concerned about the effects of longer term outside storage. I live in an HOA community and can't store it at my house. Moving to a non-HOA home on a large enough lot for an appropriate out building in Prince William county is a very expensive option.
Pups_n_Peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #2

We pay $100 a month for covered storage no electric available and open entry (no doors) . 24/7 security with access 6am - 6pm
Obviously we don’t use it full time but they have a waiting list so can’t give it up.
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Store it inside, aired down on the jacks, slides in or out depending, So Cal so not much humidity[emoji4]. The sun is not RV friendly.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Recently changed from outside storage to inside. Access is not as convenient, but I have adjusted.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #5

We store outside at a nearby storage lot ($6/foot). No power to the space. Indoor storage is $12/foot. Would like to do that but it is quite expensive around here. Covered storage is in between. I go up every 3-4 weeks for about three hours to exercise the generator, recharge the batteries and open the coach windows up. I leave the slides in.

We travel 5-6 months of the year. It is out side then too. Full timers are outside in the elements, well... full time. The important thing is to be sure that you take appropriate and basic care to protect the clear coat, paint, plastics, diamond shield, and tires. Just like you would with your automobile.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I store outdoors. Slides in. Air dumped. Solar panels to keep batteries charged.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #7

I store mine inside, climate controlled on 20 amp service. I'm using it about 1 week every month at a minimum. Slides in as it wouldn't fit otherwise. Jacks up, on air bags. Some settling over time occurs. But I understand that's normal.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 AM   #8

We just had a climate controlled barn with all trimmings built just for our current rig (plan to post particulars soon), but I would not recommend up front. Originally we bought a used rig, stored cheaply outside in elements, and made sure we like the lifestyle first. Moved up to new and a rented indoor storage unit next, and then downsized the S&B’s building a ranch and a barn. Was a decent plan and a 5 year process.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #9

We also live in an HOA community with strict rules regarding RVs...they do have an outdoor storage lot without cover or electricity. However, did not feel that was a viable option.

We felt it was important that our coach have constant electrical service and be protected from the Florida sun. A new motor condo project close to our HOA was under construction about the same time we acquired our New Aire and we purchased one of the units.

Our unit provides a perfect storage environment...20' x 52' footprint, 12' x 14' overhead door, air conditioned, 50 amp service with built-in surge protection and inside sewer connection. Also, we feel it is an excellent investment...the units have already appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WH_NaplesMotorCondo-6.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	245899   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH_NaplesMotorCondo-2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	245900  

BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 AM   #10

We feel very fortunate to be able to have covered storage at home. I realize this isn't an option for you. It isn't hard to see the benefits of covered storage. I suppose I'd have to pay for it if not storing at home. UV damage is second only to water damage, and both happen at a much higher rate uncovered.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought our 8 acre lot in an HOA community back in 2001. The deed restrictions had no rules against RV garages at the time we purchased. By the time we decided to proceed with building our home in 2014, various community activists had infiltrated the “Architectural Control Committee” and adopted a 74 page rule book that prohibited RV garages.

Fortunately for us, some other residents had already figured out that these rules, called the “guidelines” were totally unenforceable since they had not been properly adopted as amendments to the twelve page deed restrictions. They had to file a lawsuit that led to the guidelines being tossed out and we got three new folks to take over the Committee.

We were then able to build our RV garage with the only issue being that the New Committee insisted we face it with stone rather than stucco.

I say all this to just point out that it may sometimes pay to look at the fine print to be sure your neighbors in a deed restricted HOA are properly adopting and enforcing any restrictions. I’m not against restrictions, that’s why we bought in a deed restricted hill country community. But they need to be enforced as written and adopted.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #12

We now have ours in covered storage with electric and keep the AC on about 80,fridge is turned down on low until we prep for a trip. Before we got electric we would keep two big tubs of Damp Rid open in the coach and change them once a month. Also leave doors to bath and wardrobe open to circulate air
rmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

I store mine in half of a divided 40x60 non insulated metal shed on the family cattle ranch about 15 miles from my house, the other half of the shed is a work shop so it has power, but no water or sewer on my side. In our climate where temperatures rarely get below 20F this means I can get away without winterizing if I provide minimal heat to the basement, and interior of the coach ( personal 250 watt cube heater on low in the coldest part of the year). I also keep the air conditioner running set on about 82, then pre-cool for summer trips the day before, and keep the refrigerator running and usually stocked, as the coach is also our hurricane evacuation vehicle if needed.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #14

Thanks for all of the replies, good information to go forward with.
Pups_n_Peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage