Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2023, 02:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Weigh Station that weighs each tire?

I cant seem to find one of these near me (Massachusetts) and I've read that this is required to get tire pressure correct. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2023, 03:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It is not required but it is the most accurate method. They are not very common. Some of the bigger RV service centers offer it but not sure if any of them are up in the North East. Some of the bigger national RV rallies also offer it. I got out Coach done at North Trail in Fort Myers, Fl (if you have any Florida plans in the future).

Most people get axle weight from a local Cat scale and divide by 2 - then add 5% to account for one side possibly being heavier than the other. As you probably already know, you want the tire pressures to be the same side-to-side.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:16 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've owned three DP's and two gas coaches and never did a four-corner weigh on any of them. A front and rear axle weigh is sufficient to determine an appropriate weight for tire pressure purposes. A four-corner weigh is nice, but just not necessary.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:48 PM   #4

Michelin owner’s manuals show how to do it using a CAT scale, but not all CAT scales have enough runoff area on the sides to allow this. I use the method mentioned above, which is to get individual axle weights, divide by two and add a safety margin to allow for uneven loads from side to side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin individual tire weights.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	389094  
Old 03-28-2023, 06:25 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Check with your state's Highway Patrol, they may provide you with a resource. If you take your coach back to Newmar to take care of your pre-1 year warranty expiration punchlist they can weigh it. If you join FMCA or other RV organizations, they sometimes have an RV weighing company at some of. the events. I found 4 corner weights helpful in me knowing if our weight distribution in the coach was balanced. Surprisingly, we were within a couple of hundred pounds.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The thing about a 4-corner weigh site is that you have to have access to one when you are fully loaded, which isn't easy. I recently got a 4-corner weigh at LiquidSpring, but the MH was empty except for 3/4 tank of gas. So it's nice to know how what the MH's basic side-by-side weight differences are, but it's of little use for setting tire pressures because the way you load the MH is going to alter that. Go to a CAT Scale at your 1st gas stop when you are fully loaded on a trip and get your front and rear axle weights. Then, add 5% to what your tire's inflation chart says to set what your cold tire PSI should be, and air up (or down as the case may be) the next morning when your tires are cold. And in the interim, inflate your tires to what the sticker says on your MH for your 1st day's travel.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some moving companies have scales at their main office, check and see if they will let you weigh your RV.

I've never done four corner, just front and rear axles.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's hard to find a place that does 4 corner weighing. This is what I do

To determine what the right tire pressure is for you, you need to weigh your MH. Load your MH as you would for travel, fill you gas and water tanks and then get your MH weighed.

If you can't do 4 corner weighing (which would the best), this is the procedure to follow:

1. Weigh the coach axles
2. Add 5% to account for possible uneven weight side to side.
3. Divide by the number of tires on each axle.
4. Look to tire chart for your brand to find tire pressure.
5. Add 5 psi for safety
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:29 AM   #9

Once you got it weighed, per axle or best per axle-end, let me make a list for your tires.
Then I make it with maximum reserve in weight and speed, but still acceptable comfort and gripp, and with a better formula calculated then the mostly used american officiall formula.
Can make it for axleweight single and dual, and for axle-end weight single and dual, whatever is needed.
Then you dont need to devide by 2 or 4, and dont need to add reserve in weight and/or pressure.
All for your conveniënce, I will do the rocket-science.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:09 AM   #10

I'd check with RVSEF to see if they will be in an area where you can arrange to get weighed. I know they do 4 wheel weighings at many RV rallies every year.
https://rvsafety.com/
Old 03-29-2023, 10:41 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes at RV shows there will be an RV Safety group with portable scales that will weight each axle. Another source is local trash dumps or recycling centers. A third source are moving companies sometimes have scales.

One of the local cities where I live has a road bed level scale that I used. They let me drive over twice at not cost as I did not want a weight certificate and there was an electronic display of the wight on the table. With a little math it was easy to work out the individual axle weights. I moved the barrels out of the way to make the second pass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170822_152100.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	389130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_152116.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	389133  

Name:	20170822_152132.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	389134  
Old 03-29-2023, 10:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Unless the ground where individual scales are placed is exactly level side to side and fire and aft, four corner weights are, at best, a horseshoes level of accuracy.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:09 AM   #13

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

This may help as well.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
A few years back I too tried to find a place for tire weight with no luck. I finally bought my own portable scales, I think it was around $1700, and have done several Friends' RV as well. The real issue with mine is trying to find a reasonably level area to use it. I have thought about taking them with us to rallies and setting it up for a "fundraiser" for a local charity. I think it would be real popular.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire