Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Sani-Con Turbo questions

We haven't included the Sani-Com Turbo system in our coach order...yet; there's still time to change our mind however. I need to understand more about the black/gray dump system in the MADP before making a final decision.

First, are there now two separate dump connections (black and gray) in the standard sewer system in newer coaches? If so, does this mean you need to run separate hoses? Or, is there still a single Y connection point where they both come together as is the case in my 2014?

In the photos I see of the wet bay, I can't tell if they have the Sani-Con installed, but there appear to be two separate valves with connection points; one for a small hose and one for the standard large hose. I know I don't need the Sani-Con to empty the tanks in the conventional manner, but do I need to use two hoses? Help me understand the current standard sewer system.

Now, with the Sani-Con installed, I gather everything is pumped through a single smaller hose. Will the sewer connection end on the Sani-Con hose fit down through the opening in the floor of the wet bay? With the handle, it appears too large to do so. Am I missing something here?

There also seems to be some confusion on whether you can install the same Sani-Con unit ("box model?") after the fact. With the cost of the Newmar installed system, I'm wondering whether it is worth it.

Any thoughts?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I’ll try. The black and grey valves usually dump into the 3” hose and out through the hole in the floor to the sewer. With the sanicon, a short piece of 3” hose goes into the sanicon pump. Very simple. The big grey handle does fit through the hole in the floor designed for the 3” hose. Not sure why you wouldn’t want it factory installed.
You still have the two handles, black and grey to open the dump valves.
I hope to never have to mess with those 3” hoses again.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks, Bill.

So, there's still the conventional single-point hose connection. I gues what I've been seeing are units with the Sani-Con installed.

Thanks, too, for the info that the Sani-Con hose end fits through the standard sewer hose opening. I kind of thought it would, but the photos made it look too big to do so.

I assume that, if needed, you can disconnect the hose between the sewer connection and the Sani-Con can be removed and the tanks dumped conventionally. That would only make sense.

We still have time to add this option and I'm leaning in that direction.

TJ
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks, Bill.

So, there's still the conventional single-point hose connection. I gues what I've been seeing are units with the Sani-Con installed.

Thanks, too, for the info that the Sani-Con hose end fits through the standard sewer hose opening. I kind of thought it would, but the photos made it look too big to do so.

I assume that, if needed, you can disconnect the hose between the sewer connection and the Sani-Con can be removed and the tanks dumped conventionally. That would only make sense.

We still have time to add this option and I'm leaning in that direction.

TJ
I think you’ve got it!
Now get it! You won’t regret it.
The big grey handle just barely fits through the hole for for me. I have to push hard. Stuart says his goes more easily. It’s not the size of the handle, the Y connection is in the way. You need to lift up the Y connector.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Maybe the opening is larger in the MADP.

TJ
Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #6

Saw the turbo system at North Trail sales grand opening, and they had a seperate compartment available that attaches to the outside bottom of the coach. As I remember, it was about 24" wide and about 8" tall, molded plastic composite and nice looking. That way the hose would run through a drilled hole (the diameter of the hose) in the wet bay directly into this bin that's attached below and has it's own door where the hose is stored. Looked like a nice idea, but not sure about ground clearance when it's installed. We have the smaller sanicon now which I love, but I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the newer system. If I can get a pic of that bin, I'll post it.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Saw the turbo system at North Trail sales grand opening, and they had a seperate compartment available that attaches to the outside bottom of the coach. As I remember, it was about 24" wide and about 8" tall, molded plastic composite and nice looking. That way the hose would run through a drilled hole (the diameter of the hose) in the wet bay directly into this bin that's attached below and has it's own door where the hose is stored. Looked like a nice idea, but not sure about ground clearance when it's installed. We have the smaller sanicon now which I love, but I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the newer system. If I can get a pic of that bin, I'll post it.
Yes, I've seen that. Interesting idea. Here's a link to it on the Thetford website...

Sani-Con® Turbo Storage Box | Products | Thetford

I like the idea of keeping the hose out of the wet bay; just seems like a cleaner solution. I'll have to look into the "ground clearance" aspect. Doing it that way would also mean that an after-market install might be a good solution...and, cheaper than the $1,300 Newmar option. I'm handy enough to do the install, including 12 VDC wiring.

TJ
Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe the opening is larger in the MADP.

TJ

As Bill said, I tilt the drain valve assembly up (after Bill told me it tilts) and the Sanicon goes through easy. Bill’s was built a few months prior to mine so maybe something changed. At Bill’s advice I added the Sanicon and don’t regret it. Get It!

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, I've seen that. Interesting idea. Here's a link to it on the Thetford website...

I like the idea of keeping the hose out of the wet bay; just seems like a cleaner solution. I'll have to look into the "ground clearance" aspect. Doing it that way would also mean that an after-market install might be a good solution...and, cheaper than the $1,300 Newmar option. I'm handy enough to do the install, including 12 VDC wiring.

TJ
Once you have the sanicon you’ll realize it’s very clean. Much less chance of contamination than the 3” hose.
Just a thought, if you install it yourself you’ll be repairing it yourself . I just went through this with the Newmar dealer when they thought I had installed the washer and dryer myself.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Once you have the sanicon you’ll realize it’s very clean. Much less chance of contamination than the 3” hose.
Just a thought, if you install it yourself you’ll be repairing it yourself . I just went through this with the Newmar dealer when they thought I had installed the washer and dryer myself.
Out here in the Pacific Northwest, Bill, I will be repairing most things myself. It is 1,600 miles to the selling dealer and the three dealers closer than that either don't do any service or don't service coaches they didn't sell. Yes, that's a sore point with me, but it is what it is. It is also 2,300 miles to Nappanee.

There are a couple of very good RV service operations within 100 miles and I will try to get Newmar approval to use them, if needed.

TJ
Old 02-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Out here in the Pacific Northwest, Bill, I will be repairing most things myself. It is 1,600 miles to the selling dealer and the three dealers closer than that either don't do any service or don't service coaches they didn't sell. Yes, that's a sore point with me, but it is what it is. It is also 2,300 miles to Nappanee.

There are a couple of very good RV service operations within 100 miles and I will try to get Newmar approval to use them, if needed.

TJ
If that were the case for me, I'd install it myself too. 12 volts is all you need.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Sani-Con Turbo questions

I can’t tell you if it’s a bad thing, but Newmar makes their own pump mounting bracket that flips the pump.
The pump bracket that is OEM installed by Newmar is metal and looks nothing like the Sanicon paperwork

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I can’t tell you if it’s a bad thing, but Newmar makes their own pump mounting bracket that flips the pump.
Thanks, Stuart. Can you provide any details on flipping the pump? Is it flipped front-to-back or up-to-down? Why does it need to be flipped?

I have a pretty well-equipped woodworking and metalworking shop here at home, so can pretty well fabricate anything Newmar can.

TJ
Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:

TJ
I
The rep that was at NT said he was sending the boxes with their order of the turbo units free, so I'm waiting for them to come in. I'm planning on upgrading when they get delivered.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turbo