Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Sanicon option good idea??

While window shopping for a new Dutch Star I see the sanicon option on most new MH's. I read all the posts about problems with this system and wonder if you can use the old method if this is installed on a new MH? I don't have a lot of problems using the old method of dumping. Is the sanicon system a better method for waste disposal in MH's? Thanks, Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I really like my sanicon. I have a clear 90* elbow installed between the y pipe and the sanicon to evaluate the cleanliness of the dump. The sanicon allows me to back flush the black tank with gray water, and it allows me to transfer gray water to the black tank, since my gray and black tanks are installed level with each other. There is no rinsing the slinky; just screw the cap on the end of the sanicon hose for a water tight finish, and put the hose away. It take only slightly longer for the entire process since the setup and takedown process is almost immediate with the sanicon, since the sanicon is always hooked to the end of the y pipe. I carry a slinky in case the sanicon dies, but haven't used it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

I speacial ordered a DS with one. The first time I used it, it wouldn’t drain all the water. The clear section was full of water and was a PITA to clear out. It looked to me to be mounted upside down. I removed it, cut the bracket apart and re welded it to turn the macerator around so the drain pipe comes out the bottom. I haven’t re installed it yet, and not sure if I want to. It s just something else to malfunction, and for me it’s just not much of an advantage. I may put it up for sale.

Mark
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is my first MH with a sanicon and I would not have another MH without it. Faster, cleaner and not a drop on hands or ground. The fix for not draining all the liquid is cheap and easy. You can find several versions of the same type of fix to fit your needs.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

13 years with Sanicon. No problems. Would never go back.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #6

Sanicon option good idea??

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
While window shopping for a new Dutch Star I see the sanicon option on most new MH's. I read all the posts about problems with this system and wonder if you can use the old method if this is installed on a new MH? I don't have a lot of problems using the old method of dumping. Is the sanicon system a better method for waste disposal in MH's? Thanks, Bill

You’ll be overwhelmed with the amount of discussions on the Sanicon here.

Rather than wait for replies to this new thread, you would do yourself a big favor and review the, at least, 4 or 5 VERY long threads on the Sanicon.

That said, you’ll not find a clear cut answer...and here’s why:

The way the wet bay is designed on the DS, there’s just not enough HEIGHT to make the Sanicon work (drain) the best. In the beginning, it was thought that the turbo outlet was upside down and putting it at the bottom would solve everything; that turned out to be not fully true. Reason being...gravity. The system, per the manufacturer, needs to be a few inches lower than the tank outlets...hence the real problem; the bay won’t allow for it.

Yes, guys like Dutch Star Don have done a great job at custom installs to make them work to “their” satisfaction. For me, I’d sure rather have the box-style 700 series like many of the higher end coaches have, but Newmar has no plans of changing that bay’s dimensions.

You’ll find the rest of the pack taking the “don’t fix what ain’t broke” path and sticking with the Old School method which, as stated, doesn’t have any of the potential problems that the Sanicon has.

So, I guess I’ve gathered the thoughts of the threads I told you to search...LOL...oh well...here’s the Pros/Cons and, oh...btw...I chose to hold off on getting one.

Pro:
Fast dumping
Long hose runs possible
Not affected by upslope pumping
Less mess due to not rinsing the hose

Con:
Expensive
Hard to get that “last drop” cleared from the pump
Tight install in order to get room to feed hose downward through port (avoiding other modifications to door/floor)
Potential failure
Fragile hose (most will sleeve it)

Hope this helps!

And, yes, I’ve even discussed this with the Sanicon rep.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, I still am not clear on if you have the sanicon system can you use the old method in case of a malfunction? Bill
Old 12-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
Thanks for the replies, I still am not clear on if you have the sanicon system can you use the old method in case of a malfunction? Bill

Yes you can.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
12 years with a Sanicon. Works great and would not have it any other way.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"taratiffin"......The SaniCon attaches via the same bayonet fitting as the 3" RV hose. Simply remove the SaniCon and attach the 3" hose.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #11

An unneeded item unless your unable to dump into a normal dump site and would like to dump into something like a toilet. IMO
Never had any problem with the normal way of doing things.
Again IMO
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #12

sani con

I have had a sani-con for the last 3 coaches. I have never had a failure. I have had to rebuild the pump unit but was a $35 bill for the parts and I did the labor. If the pump itself fails it just drains out very slowly, minimal mess. All of the extra expense, about $500 bucks is well worth it. Yes you can always dump it the original way if you have it connected.
For the people that don't need it, well do you need power steering, comfort drive, disc brakes. NO you don't have to have them, but why NOT.
just my 2.5 cents worth.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"timekeeper"......Please show us a photo of the SaniCon unit you own and tried, but didn't like. You must have had one to have the opinion you provided.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #14

Well I just bought a new 4369 Dutch Star with the sanicon system on it so I guess I will learn to like it. Bill