Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #15

Sanicon for me, much cleaner and faster to stow. But..........I complained to Thetford about their hoses, they tend to develop pin hole leaks and the hoses are over priced in MHO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
It allows you to dump at your home .
So I'm new to all this...
How do you dump at home?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
So I'm new to all this...
How do you dump at home?
Typically folks use a sewer cleanout or add similar access to their sewer line. We have one existing at the side of the house where the sewer line from the street comes to the house. Remove the cleanout cover/cap and drop in the end of a garden hose with tbe other end attached to the macerator pump.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The macerator is a tool. In some situations, it becomes very useful/necessary. But 99% of the time...it isn't all that useful. I have never used it in a campground. I use it exclusively at home. We opted for the flojet portable unit. It comes in a neat little storage case...and we keep it in the basement of the coach for when the need arises.

At home...I have a box in the ground that has a ball valve with a threaded pipe with a hose end adapter. We use a section of hose to connect the macerator to the pipe in the ground... the pipe is 1-1/2" pvc that is buried...and goes about 90' on level ground where it enters our sanitary sewer lift station ( We're on a low pressure syatem, with an individual tank for each home that pumps the waste to the districts treatment plant) It is nice to have the ability to dump and rinse holding tanks at home. I went with a buried pipe for two reasons... 90' of garden hose is too much resistance for the macerator pump...I think they specify a 75' limit. On level ground...the 1-1/2" pvc provides much less resistance. And...I really don't want to store 90' of poop hose anywhere. It's stored neatly in the ground.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:15 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I have the Sanicon and have no plans to go to the stinky slinky. Yeah, it takes a longer time to dump...but it is much cleaner to deal with.
X2 . Mine was installed by Newmar, best thing I ever ordered.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a SaniCon fan and find that most who compare the speed of the SaniCon to a 3" hose NEGLECT to add in the time it takes to get the 3" hose out, connect it, dump, clean it and put it away. With the SaniCon, you simply put the cap on the end and stuff the hose back into the wet bay.....you NEVER have to touch sewage.

For those with the small 40 gallon black tank in the Dutch Star, you know that it fills quickly and the red light, stopping you from flushing, comes on at very inconvenient times.

I added an electric 3" drain to the black tank and ran a double switch into the half bath. I also ran a second switch for the SaniCon into the half bath. When I arrive at a park, it takes me less than three minutes to connect my power cord, water hose and SaniCon hose. Now, when I'm in the coach and the red light comes on at 11:00pm, I open the black tank and turn on the macerator from inside the half bath.

What I didn't realize is how convenient this set up is when breaking camp in the morning. While I'm putting things away for travel, I open the drain and run the SaniCon from inside the coach. By the time I'm ready to depart, I walk outside, power in the power cord and water hose reel, cap the SaniCon hose and stuff it in the water bay. We're on a 9 week trip and this has worked great.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Now, when I'm in the coach and the red light comes on at 11:00pm, I open the black tank and turn on the macerator from inside the half bath.
Don; I have been considering this setup to run the sanicon from inside but have a question. How do you know when the tank is empty and the pump is running dry so you can shut off the pump. Obviously when outside you can hear the sound pitch change but how do you know from inside?
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I have been using Sanicon systems since 2009. The only brake down I had when in 2011 the plastic cutout from drilling the tank by the factory back in 2008 finally decided to come out and chewed out the rubber impeller. I like the cleanness and the ease of handling. I don't have to worry about the storage, support to provide the correct slope or the length of the 3" hose.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, SMI AF-1, 2014 Grand Cherokee, Silverleaf VMSpc. Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
I have been using Sanicon systems since 2009. The only brake down I had when in 2011 the plastic cutout from drilling the tank by the factory back in 2008 finally decided to come out and chewed out the rubber impeller. I like the cleanness and the ease of handling. I don't have to worry about the storage, support to provide the correct slope or the length of the 3" hose.
Have you had any issues with hair clogging the unit?
Someone said that hair from the shower clogs the propellers in the Sanicon.

Also, have you had any problem with the hose getting holes in it?
Old 10-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Have you had any issues with hair clogging the unit?
Someone said that hair from the shower clogs the propellers in the Sanicon.

Also, have you had any problem with the hose getting holes in it?
That might have been me. Mine became totally tangled with hair from the shower. The dealer in Penticton, Mid Town, said they had many people with this issue and that some disconnected it due to this and returned to the stinky slinky again.

Peter
Old 10-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
That might have been me. Mine became totally tangled with hair from the shower. The dealer in Penticton, Mid Town, said they had many people with this issue and that some disconnected it due to this and returned to the stinky slinky again.

Peter

Lug Nut
was that in your current King Aire?
How long did you have it until it clogged up?
Old 10-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Lug Nut
was that in your current King Aire?
How long did you have it until it clogged up?
Yes, the KADB. Near two years, except, the wife often washed the dog in the shower. The amount of hair was probably the size of a marble in the impeller and about half that amount in the gray by-pass tube. I does not seem to take much to stop it, or at least seriously impede it.

Peter
Old 10-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We have. Not used the shower to bathe pets. Never had a leak on the hose or any plugging issue other the the plastic cutout in 2011. It has been very reliable for me. The hose issues I have heard of occurred on the new OEM only Sanicon Turbo system. I don't know if Newmar is using those on the 2017 coaches.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, SMI AF-1, 2014 Grand Cherokee, Silverleaf VMSpc. Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
I don't have to worry about the storage, support to provide the correct slope or the length of the 3" hose.

With the Sewer Solution, I don't have to worry about the storage, support to provide the correct slope or the length of the 3" hose. AND, there are no mechanical parts to break. There is nothing for hair to get caught in and clog. The small diameter hose is very strong. It propels the waste (and breaks it up if it's not already broken up by a macerating toilet) with a jet of fresh water. I love mine and will never go back to the big slinky hose or to a mechanical macerator.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote