Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #1

Sanicon turbo ran for a second now it’s dead

Greetings fellow newmar owners…..coach has been in storage with empty tanks for 3 months…when I got it out of storage and after running some water through the system when I turned on the Sanicon,the pump started for a split second and now it’s doing nothing…..I have jiggled wires on the switch to no avail….is there a fuse that may have popped or where do I begin to fix this…it’s a 19 king with the sanicon turbo…..thanks for any pointers..joe b
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 09:07 AM   #2

Check the fuses in the shore cord bay and in the bathroom. Normally when the pump fails, it has lost an internal ground. Do you have a volt meter to verify your power.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #3

Thanks Bobby,yes I have checked power in to the San icon and it seems to be fine…no fuses in bathroom labeled sanicon and in the shore cord area looks like an f16 is supposed to be sanicon but it’s just a contraption with one wire on each end..I can send pictures..I do notice a cube with prongs inline that when it’s plugged in and the sanicon switch is turned on it clicks and gets hot to the touch…can also send a picture of that cube…thanks much for your help joe b 2019 king aire
Old 07-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #4

That’s the relay. Take a picture and go to your auto parts store and grab another one. If you are hearing it clicking and it’s getting hot, then you have power. The relay could be bad since it’s getting hot. If you swap it and have the same issue, I would assume it’s the failed ground. You can always hook your dump hose up and use the bypass until it can be repaired. If your in the Nashville area, we can accommodate you.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:57 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Entegra uses a relay (EHDIS Car Relay 4 Pin 12v 40amp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J53IH5M...p_mob_ap_share) to energize the high current to the pump/motor assembly.

Available at many auto part stores.

That relay has been known to fail causung loss of power to the pump/motor assembly.

Not sure that Newmar does the same, but might be worth a look.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #6

Ok with the relay inserted when the sanicon switch is on I have 13 volts going into the sanicon,flip the sanicon switch off and 0 volts going into the sanicon…both using the wire going in to the sanicon both positive and ground,knowing that is my next step going to get a new relay???? Thanks again joe b
Old 07-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sanicon turbo ran for a second now it’s dead

Use your multimeter to verify that you have power coming out of the relay when the Sanicon switch is turned on.

I have found that many Sanicon pumps have “failed” due to the commutator getting burn marks on it and thus no longer has a good contact for the motor to run. Rather than purchasing a new pump (and if you don’t mine getting a little dirty) you can repair the pump by taking some steel wool to the pump commutator to clean it off. If need be, I can provide a link to what I did to repair the pump, but the first order of business is to see if the pump is getting power. In addition to checking for power at the output of the relay, you can check at the two barrel connectors feeding power to the Sanicon unit.

Update: per your last update. If you have power coming out of relay when switch is turned on, then the pump (or unlikely the thermal switch) is going to be the problem. The relay is working.

Here’s the link for the fix I did. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rep...ml#post5792870
Old 07-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #8

Thanks all very much,went and got a very similar relay,plugged it in and like a blinker blinking……sound but no action from the sanicon…just seems strange that sitting for 3 months,upon firing it up it runs for a second then dies….I’m not sure the next step actually..any ideas are welcome..thanks all joe b
Old 07-02-2022, 03:27 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Your prior posts suggest that you've checked power to the pump/motor, downstream from the relay and found that when the switch is "ON", you have power (13v) to the pump/motor and when the switch is "OFF", there's no power (0v).

That suggests, to me, that you have power to the relay, the relay is working properly and that the failure is the pump/motor.

Motors do fail. That pump/motor assembly lives its life immersed in sewage water.

When I replaced the macerator on my '18 Entegra Anthem, the part that I needed was a Thetford 97518 Pump Replacement w/ Tank Housing. That may, or may NOT, be what you need. IF that's what you need, I found the best price here: https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...75f849bb&_ss=r

5 in stock, free shipping, $246.38

That comes as the whole gray box assembly with the pump/motor inside. I couldn't source just the pump/motor.

IF it's possible for you, depending on the installation, to open the gray box to access the pump/motor assembly, I found it much easier to not disturb the Fernco fittings and just pull out the bad pump/motor and replace it with the new pump/motor.

Again, I'm not familiar with the installation on your Newmar. On my Entegra, it was much easier to leave the gray box in place and just swap the pump/motor with the gray box in place. Not particularly easy; just easier.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-02-2022, 06:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On a Newmar you can take the 4 screws out of the black and gray gate values that are on each side of the Sanicon unit. You can then pull the Sanicon unit out. Once out, you can repair or replace. I would recommend putting a small disposable aluminum loaf pan under the gate value when disassembling as there will be some waste water left in the system after you drain the tank prior to beginning this job. Also, raising the driver's side of the coach with your jacks will help reduce the amount of waste that will drain from the gate valve openings.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:13 AM   #11

Excellent feedback thank y’all…I have an appt at nappannee next Monday so,at this point I think I’ll leave it alone,see what they say,and if the pump has gone bad may end up ordering the assembly…thanks very much for all the assistance…joe b 2019 king aire
Old 07-04-2022, 08:01 AM   #12

I had a problem like that in my 2019 New Aire. I unbolted the pump from the floor and loosened hose clamp and took the cover off. There was a piece of plastic stuck between the impeller and the wall. Got it loose with pliers. Reassembled pump and it's been working fine ever since. Not sure if plastic was construction debris or something else. Kind of looked like it might have once been a plastic washer.
Bill

Tags
turbo