RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Satellite

I have a 2000 mountain aire, gas. Just bought it Saturday. Included was a Dish Tailgater satellite system. Got it activated and up and running. I ran the coax from the satellite thru the door to the receiver just to get it operational. I need instructions on how to hook it up other than running the coax thru the door. I did notice in the back of the cabinet on the right a coax switch plate labeled sat. Can anyone tell me where the coax goes to or ends so I might be able to hook the coax from the satellite up without running it thru the door. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #2

Probably goes to the roof but why not call Newmar, give them the coach number and they'll tell you everything you need to know

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Probably goes to the roof but why not call Newmar, give them the coach number and they'll tell you everything you need to know
Thanks I'll do that. Didn't know I could call them.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #4

You can call Newmar but since it's a 2000 model chances are it didn't come out of the factory with the Sat system. Check in the bay where your shore power cord is, that's where mine is located. Good luck.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Found the cable box for what they used to call park cable. It was in the box like you said. With shore power. Bought a line tracer today. Hooked it up to the park cable box. Can't locate it inside. Tested at least half dozen coax cables up front by the TV. Got dark on me tonight. Will start the search in the daylight tomorrow. Hopefully I can visually trace some of the coax in the storage bins so I can at least tell where it enters the inside.
patrickemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #6

Pretty easy to run a cable from the TV to a storage bay. Mount a connector in a hole you drill through to the outside through the exterior wall. Use a 90 degree angle fitting to point the cable towards the ground. Less tripping hazard.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Satellite

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Found the cable box for what they used to call park cable. It was in the box like you said. With shore power. Bought a line tracer today. Hooked it up to the park cable box. Can't locate it inside. Tested at least half dozen coax cables up front by the TV. Got dark on me tonight. Will start the search in the daylight tomorrow. Hopefully I can visually trace some of the coax in the storage bins so I can at least tell where it enters the inside.

Do you have a cabinet above passenger seat for entertainment system?
If so look on ceiling in that cabinet.
On our 2002 the "cable in" first stops there. It is the one with the loop in back. Right side is in. Left side goes to front BOMB.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	165156
Old 06-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #8

yes, you'll probably find, with time and aggravation, that the coach will not support using it's 'onboard' coax wiring and switchboxes to use your portable Antenna - you'll find a way to run coax directly between the Antenna and the Receiver, it'll just take some time to understand the nooks and crannies that will allow it, depending on where the Antenna is mounted, and where your receiver is located.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #9

I have a 2001 Newmar is yours is anything like mine the antenna and CG cable enter and go to the command center, where you select antenna, DVR or Aux ( CG cable ). Hard to tell what has been changed through the years, it took me a long time to figure mine out. You are headed in the right direction with the trace equipment. Good luck.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spk64 - Unfortunately mine doesn't look like that. Wish it was that neat. Mine comes in from the back side of the cabinet.

Mister T - yes the frustration level is getting pretty high. Lol

For now I just got a flat cable used for running coax through a window. Going on the road for the next 4 days. Will start back on Monday try to figure it out.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 AM   #11

I would hope that manufacturers would understand that everyone is NOT wanting to necessarily use a permanently mounted satellite roof antenna, but should also design an easy-to-use coax cabling thru the coach for those of us who want more flexibility with portable antenna options and connection location(s).

Yes, an exterior coax connection, just like the basic Cable connection, should be the 'norm', not the exception.

I actually also see Cable going away within the next 5 years, as more and more parks decide that it's not worth the infrastructure and investment and aggravation, especially with those who decide that each site is required to have it's own 'box' and remote.

With portable satellite antennas being more and more popular(just look at Fleetwood, they are mounting King Tailgater2 on many/most of their new Class A units as a standard), parks are seeing less of a 'need' to provide Cable as a perk or requirement.

Parks are becoming more and more cognizant of the need for satellite 'sight line' openings from their sites so that RVrs have an easier view of the satellites they need.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I was finally able to get back to searching today. I finally found the park cable coax coming into the front of the coach where all the coax and selector box are located. I would have taken probably taken a week or longer to find it if I hadn't purchased a line trace/tracked for $40 from the home depot. Tested the coax with the satellite hooked up and it worked! Thanks for all the replies.

Tags
satellite