Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Satellite

I’m going to install a Winegard SK-100, what does Newmar mean when they say satellite prep on roof. Thanks
Billwainscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Satellite

There will be a 4x4” aluminum plate screwed and sealed to the roof with 4 screws. (Be carful if you have Solar prep, they look exactly the same after the black sharpie burns off) below the correct plate you will find fiberglass roof, no hole. Below the surface a 12v wire and a pull string should be coming out of a conduit and the coax cable. caution they are not always directly under the plate. Inside the AV cabinet there should be a blank plate marked Satellite prep, remove it and you should see the other end of the string and wire. When I did the install on my CS the conduit was really misplaced. In taking to a Newmar tech, I learned that Newmar wants the dish base screwed in to the roof trusses in 4 points. The way to locate the trusses is after you drill your hole I. The roof under the plate, I did 1” you can use a coat hanger or welding rod through the hole forward and back to locate the trusses, pull the hanger out and transfer the mark to the roof. I will include some pictures from my 16 CS for reference .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5214.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	214967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5169.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	214968  

Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwainscot View Post
I’m going to install a Winegard SK-100, what does Newmar mean when they say satellite prep on roof. Thanks
Did you mean 1000? If so I recently installed one. I do know that there are two rails running front to back down the center of the roof to give support to the AC installations and I put mine at the very front dead center and fed three six foot coax cables directly into the electronics cabinet. So far it is doing fine. My MA is a gas unit but I do not see any major differences in the roof structure. I measured very carefully for the hole in the roof to get it right over the electric cabinet which is right above the passenger seat.

In my wisdom and distrust for my own ability to properly locate a roof penetration I then moved the location another four or five inches toward the front of the coach to make sure the hole was definitely inside the upper electronics cabinet where the controls and connections for the antenna and tv were located. That after thought kept me from hanging a large fern from the hole in the ceiling above the passenger...my wife whew! a closed one.

Youdid not say what year your rig was. Mine a 99 MA does not have a plate that I know of. Yours, if newer might have.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
There will be a 4x4” aluminum plate screwed and sealed to the roof with 4 screws. (Be carful if you have Solar prep, they look exactly the same after the black sharpie burns off) below the correct plate you will find fiberglass roof, no hole. Below the surface a 12v wire and a pull string should be coming out of a conduit and the coax cable. caution they are not always directly under the plate. Inside the AV cabinet there should be a blank plate marked Satellite prep, remove it and you should see the other end of the string and wire. When I did the install on my CS the conduit was really misplaced. In taking to a Newmar tech, I learned that Newmar wants the dish base screwed in to the roof trusses in 4 points. The way to locate the trusses is after you drill your hole I. The roof under the plate, I did 1” you can use a coat hanger or welding rod through the hole forward and back to locate the trusses, pull the hanger out and transfer the mark to the roof. I will include some pictures from my 16 CS for reference .

Stuart did you use a hole saw, and in the DS does the conduit go to the front cabinet or the one above the TV. On the SK-1000 it says you have to run a line to each TV, does that sound correct
Old 08-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Stuart did you use a hole saw, and in the DS does the conduit go to the front cabinet or the one above the TV. On the SK-1000 it says you have to run a line to each TV, does that sound correct

Yes on holesaw, and I started in the middle of the 4 screws, ended up with a couple more overlapping the original, All covered by the wire plate. The satellite box on my 18 4369 goes in the AV compartment above the televator, below the Bose speaker.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #6

Thanks so much, do you by chance know how I get the coax cable to each TV. I’m use to the SK-300 I think it is.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Yes on holesaw, and I started in the middle of the 4 screws, ended up with a couple more overlapping the original, All covered by the wire plate. The satellite box on my 18 4369 goes in the AV compartment above the televator, below the Bose speaker.

If you look at my picture, be careful as you go through the roof, see the location of the roof truss
Old 08-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #8

Did a coax go to the bedroom?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
If you look at my picture, be careful as you go through the roof, see the location of the roof truss

Yes
Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I believe that cable went in to the av cabinet also, that’s where connections were made. Only on coax is connected on the roof the other cable is the controller harness. Not I have DirectTV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5479.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	214971  
Old 08-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Satellite

My nightmare!
Satellite "pre-wire" Help
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330440
Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #12

Bill ask lots of questions on what it included in the prewire. You may find that you would also need to do some 'specials' to get coax pulls from the AV cabinet to all of the tv locations. Depends on how extensive 'prewire' work is and the inclusions/exclusions.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #13

I need help, Newmar says to run the coax cable to the front cabinet the only coax there is the OTA antenna. All the rest of the coax connections are in the basement. Does anybody know how to get the two coax I need to run for the dish to the basement
Old 08-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I need help, Newmar says to run the coax cable to the front cabinet the only coax there is the OTA antenna. All the rest of the coax connections are in the basement. Does anybody know how to get the two coax I need to run for the dish to the basement

So they are saying the cable goes from the roof under prep plate to basement, and only one cable?

Tags
satellite