RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Satellite Controller Box Space

We have a VTDP 3709 with a Winegard SK-SWM3 RV Satellite Antenna. The cabinet to house the equipment above the driver is small. The controller box that I prefer to take from our SnB does not fit well. Does anyone have a solution for this?

In our home we have the main controller and then a much smaller box associated with each TV. Instead of bringing along the larger main box, can I take just one of the smaller boxes?

Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
We have a VTDP 3709 with a Winegard SK-SWM3 RV Satellite Antenna. The cabinet to house the equipment above the driver is small. The controller box that I prefer to take from our SnB does not fit well. Does anyone have a solution for this?

In our home we have the main controller and then a much smaller box associated with each TV. Instead of bringing along the larger main box, can I take just one of the smaller boxes?
I'm not the only person with this problem. The cabinet is too small, period, for the equipement in there. We have the Sony receiver, two splitters, the DVD player, two direct tv boxes, the sk 300 control box, an a/b switch box, and an 8W power supply. It gets so hot in there that its just a matter of time where this becomes a problem. I just ordered two fans recommended by Newmar to have installed to move the heat and Brin gin fresh air. Direct TV has some smaller boxes which I have installed to find some room.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
I'm not the only person with this problem. The cabinet is too small, period, for the equipement in there. We have the Sony receiver, two splitters, the DVD player, two direct tv boxes, the sk 300 control box, an a/b switch box, and an 8W power supply. It gets so hot in there that its just a matter of time where this becomes a problem. I just ordered two fans recommended by Newmar to have installed to move the heat and Brin gin fresh air. Direct TV has some smaller boxes which I have installed to find some room.
To free up some room a tech mounted the two HDMI splitters to the back wall. I also keep the door open when using the equipment.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

What fans did you order? I was camping this weekend and had heat issues, had to use my wife's hand heal fan.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
What fans did you order? I was camping this weekend and had heat issues, had to use my wife's hand heal fan.
I called Newmar parts and told them my problem and they have some 12V fans they recommend for this issue. I might have spoken with Derrick. They were 39 a piece and the recommended two. You probably could get them cheaper online but I wanted the Newmar part they use.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
To free up some room a tech mounted the two HDMI splitters to the back wall. I also keep the door open when using the equipment.
I need to do the same, get the whole cabinet oranzied.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I need to do the same, get the whole cabinet oranzied.
Where did you install the fans at?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a couple of things you can do to solve the space issue in this cabinet. First is to replace that very large Sony receiver with a slim line model, that will make a significant difference. You can also build shelves which will organize the cabinet, allow air flow between components (helps with cooling) and allows you to remove components without pulling everything out of the cabinet.

I installed fans which helped a lot. These work very well and are not expensive, mine have been installed for a couple of years and continue to do the job. I know several other people who have installed the same and are very pleased with them. Here's a link to these fans on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Here's a photo of my rebuilt A/V cabinet:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7111.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	165938  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Raymond,

Here's how I installed the fans in my cabinet (info in previous post).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7084.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	165940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7089 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	165941  

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Bushy"....Your main box in your hose is called a Genie (guessing you have DirecTv). The smaller boxes are called "Clients" and are linked to the Genie. If you remove the one of the smaller ones, it won't work outside of your house.

For $5.00 a month you can order a small DirecTV box (non-Genie) and just leave it in the coach, then there is no hassling with disconnecting and connecting. We have a DVR in our coach, so that we have many of the same features as the Genie, such as recording, fast forward, etc.

Note: DirecTV will not let you have two Genies at the same location (one in the house, one in the RV).

I made a "U" shape bracket and mounted the controller for the Winegard satellite to the roof of the cabinet. I screwed the power supply to the right wall. On this and my last coach, I added 1" tall rubber feet to the DirecTV box which adds air flow under it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Great suggestions. I'm on it. THANKS!
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Quote:
I haven't installed them yet. I'm going to be at Newmar next Friday for some warranty work and I'm going to beg them to install them for me. I'm not sure they will because it is inventory day and the day before shutdown so I think their time will be limited beyond what is already scheduled.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Raymond,

Here's how I installed the fans in my cabinet (info in previous post).
This is a great picture with great ideas. Where do you live I'm coming to you! lol! I'm pretty much inept with this sort of project so I need to find someone who is skilled in this area.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
There are a couple of things you can do to solve the space issue in this cabinet. First is to replace that very large Sony receiver with a slim line model, that will make a significant difference. You can also build shelves which will organize the cabinet, allow air flow between components (helps with cooling) and allows you to remove components without pulling everything out of the cabinet.

I installed fans which helped a lot. These work very well and are not expensive, mine have been installed for a couple of years and continue to do the job. I know several other people who have installed the same and are very pleased with them. Here's a link to these fans on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Here's a photo of my rebuilt A/V cabinet:
That looks fantastic. What is the cabinet door made of: vented screen, glass or wood ( vented wood or unvented). Secondly, is are the shelves vented or solid wood? I wish I had your talent to do something like this.

Tags
ace, satellite