Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #1

Satellite Dish Removal

Good Morning,
I would like to remove the satellite dish from the roof of our 2005 Dutch Star. I have tried searching iRV2 but apparently don't know how to search effectively.

I have read online that some dishes have a mounting base that can be left on the roof. I am wondering if anyone knows if my KVH Trac Vision SF has a mounting plate that I can leave on the roof or if I will have to make a plate.

I am trying to figure out what I am getting into before I start the process. If anyone has experience with this, your incite would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Pete
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
watching
Old 11-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Incite"....?

Is there gonna be a riot? Kidding...
Are you going to replace the sat with something else or go the hotspot/streaming/wifi route? The technology is changing. RF Mogul, 5G or Starlink might be workable upgrades. I've got a feeling there's a good chance there will be some Dicor in your future.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #4

Satellite Dish Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
"Incite"....?

Is there gonna be a riot? Kidding...
Are you going to replace the sat with something else or go the hotspot/streaming/wifi route? The technology is changing. RF Mogul, 5G or Starlink might be workable upgrades. I've got a feeling there's a good chance there will be some Dicor in your future.
Yes, dicor, butyl tape and eterna bond. But, do I have to make a plate?
Old 11-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I doubt your trac vision has a mounting plate.

Here is owners manual that discusses installation.
http://www.rvsatellite.com/Manuals/KVH/540193A_TVSF.pdf

If you are just removing then I would just fill holes with Dicor and place a small piece of Eternabond over the holes.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our current coach had one of the older tracvision domes on when we bought it, but we moved our Trav'ler sat dish over to it right after getting it.
Had a local guy that worked at the dealership come over after hours and he did the work.
His pay ? the old dome - which I had no use for...
No plate for the tracvision, but I don't THINK I recall a baseplate for the directv trav'ler ??? but it was 5 years ago
Old 11-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I just removed mine and put up a Winegard Traveler, there were 2 brackets left on the coach by the installer which I removed and covered the holes with some Henry's Tropi-cool. Also found 5 holes they forgot to fill and took care of them as well.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
....... but I don't THINK I recall a baseplate for the directv trav'ler ??? but it was 5 years ago

They do make an optional base plate for the Trav’ler. I used it as it covered up some of the old holes and provided a better base.

OP did not mention if they were just removing or replacing with something else.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Years ago I removed the KVH dome and installed a Winegard Traveler on my Diplomat. There is no hole in the roof, just a plate that is screwed down. Remove the plate and fill in the holes. When I repair holes on a roof, I take a tube of silicone and force some down in the hole. I wipe off the excess so it's flush with the roof. I then put a dab of Dicor over the spot.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #10

I had mine removed at Newmar and they put an aluminum plate over the hole and used the existing holes to bolt it down with a bunch of sealant. I decided to just go with an external one.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I had mine removed at Newmar and they put an aluminum plate over the hole and used the existing holes to bolt it down with a bunch of sealant. I decided to just go with an external one.
Yes, I have an external one as well.

The dome is off and everything is sealed up. There are 4 brackets hold the dome. I took those off and put dicor in each of the five holes then put sheet metal screws with rubber gaskets in the holes. Then I put more dicor around them and covered with eterna bond tape. Probably overkill.

I took one of the brackets and made a cover out of it to cover the hole the wires went in. I used butyl tape on the bottom and the sheet metal screws on top then caulked around the edge with eterna bond caulk.

I noticed the caulk around the skylight was loose. So, another project to work on!

Tags
dish, removal, satellite