RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Satellite Tripod Exterior Connection?

I finally was able to talk to a salesman about getting this installed if I was to order a Canyon Star. He did not have a clue how this would be done. On my current Tiffin everything goes into one location to feed all four (B/R, L/R, front & exterior). I can use one receiver to supply the Directv feed to all of the TV's. This is how the Blu-ray is setup also. There is also an A/B switch to use for two different satellite setups (roof mounted and tripod).

Newmar does it different that the main and B/R have two separate systems. There is nothing for the exterior TV that I know of. How would I get a satellite feed from a custom tripod connection to all of the TV's? I would only have the main/LR, exterior & B/R TV's.

Also it appears I would need separate Directv receivers at each location. Is this correct? I do plan on having a roof top satellite also. I looked and only found a cable connection on the only model they had it stock.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The external tripod satellite antenna connection is a "custom option" . You can decide where you want the outside connection located outside ( typically in the electric cable compartment). You should discuss the details with Newmar Corp sales. They will review it with engineering for feasibility and if they decide to do it, they will give the price to your dealer. If you want to have only one sat receiver for the front and bedroom TVs, you can request the HDMI or component cabling to run and they will let you know the feasibility. You can try to do all this through your dealer, but the information quite often gets distorted.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
The external tripod satellite antenna connection is a "custom option" .
Now that's a change from what is in our 2002 DSDP! We have a connection in the electrical compartment for either cable or a dish. Plus the connection for an outside TV can also be used by backfeeding the signal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
What about the exterior TV? From what I understand there is a separate Bluray player at the main and bedroom TV, but nothing is for the exterior TV. This is how the CS 3920 that I saw was.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If you order the High Definition Wiring option, the BD player and sat receiver will be connected to the outside TV with an HDMI cables through a distribution boxes.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
If you order the High Definition Wiring option, the BD player and sat receiver will be connected to the outside TV with an HDMI cables through a distribution boxes.
That is great. I can deal with having two satellite receivers if I had to. Being I would have the Winegard Traveler I am assuming there would be RG6 lines run to both the main/exterior setup as well as the bedroom setup. If this is the case then a simple A/B switch may be all that would be needed to add an exterior tripod setup plus the wiring for the tripod connection. I would then just switch between what satellite setup I will be using.

Is this correct? I would think there are a lot of setups similar to this.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First question: DO you A: want to watch same show on all TV's or B:different shows depending on location?
Answers: (If you have the traditional wall plate antenna switch)
A1: run RG-6 to main Video distribution point if Sat Receiver has COAX out run 2nd line (Also RG-6) To park cable inlets location,, Bridge these two (Connect COAX out to Cable in) and select CABLE on your antenna selector.
A2: If you have a matrix switch (Box of many buttons) Same as above but skip the return line, Coax out goes to SAT IN on the back of the BOMB.

B: you will need a DUAL output antenna and possibly a Switch (2x4 should work)

Install Switch in connections bay, Run RG-6 from switch to all TV/Sat receiver loactions There will be two INPUT connections on Switch

you can get RG-6 "Twin" cable, I forget it's official number but it is two RG-6 cables physically bonded to each other..

Run this from your DUAL output dish to the switch inputs.

At least that was the old way.. A DISH TV installer may know a better way.

What is a Switch: Looks kind of like a splitter only it is a bit more complex.. it takes odd transponders from one side of the dual antenna, even from the other, and lets multiple receivers pick and choose what they want.

The closest thing to it you are likely to understand is.. the BOMB (Matrix switch) which is a manual very same thing.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I had Newmar run 2 coax cables from the electrical bay to the front TV electronics cabinet and 2 more coax cables from the electrical bay to the bedroom TV electronics area for my DirecTV HD portable dish.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First question: DO you A: want to watch same show on all TV's or B:different shows depending on location?
Answers: (If you have the traditional wall plate antenna switch)
A1: run RG-6 to main Video distribution point if Sat Receiver has COAX out run 2nd line (Also RG-6) To park cable inlets location,, Bridge these two (Connect COAX out to Cable in) and select CABLE on your antenna selector.
A2: If you have a matrix switch (Box of many buttons) Same as above but skip the return line, Coax out goes to SAT IN on the back of the BOMB.

B: you will need a DUAL output antenna and possibly a Switch (2x4 should work)

Install Switch in connections bay, Run RG-6 from switch to all TV/Sat receiver loactions There will be two INPUT connections on Switch

you can get RG-6 "Twin" cable, I forget it's official number but it is two RG-6 cables physically bonded to each other..

Run this from your DUAL output dish to the switch inputs.

At least that was the old way.. A DISH TV installer may know a better way.

What is a Switch: Looks kind of like a splitter only it is a bit more complex.. it takes odd transponders from one side of the dual antenna, even from the other, and lets multiple receivers pick and choose what they want.

The closest thing to it you are likely to understand is.. the BOMB (Matrix switch) which is a manual very same thing.
Right now we use one receiver and we watch the same thing on all of the TV's. If by chance I go to bed early I usually watch something via the OTA antenna or the reverse. But as we are staying on trips longer and longer a second receiver may not be bad.

I have a Directv splitter that can be installed after the power inserter. The Directv SWM dish only has one cable out of it. On a recent trip I set it up for my brother in another camper to get the satellite feed. If Newmar would run two cables (one for the main/exterior and one for the bedroom) I could plug in the cable from the dish in the power inserter and then the splitter would send the signals to these two locations. Will the compartment that houses the electrical and TV jacks have an outlet for the power inserter? This setup would work for two receivers.

Route 66's suggestion to run two cables from each location would be better in case one cable fails.

Using only one receiver would involve a cable running to a particular location and having a HDMI switch and HDMI cables to both locations.

Prior to ordering anything we would need to decide how many receivers we will use.

Tags
satellite