Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #1

Satellite TV

Purchased my rig used. It has a traveler dish set up for Direct TV. I am a DISH customer and I know what a hassle Direct is so I plan on converting the system to DISH and have gotten a couple of quotes to do that. Before I call DISH to see how the programming works I thought I would post and start with these two questions.

1) I imagine I wont be able to get my local channels but will I still get the majors ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX for nationally televised programming?

2) Not sure I want to do this but can I just take my Hopper DVR out of the house and hook her up once the system is changed over?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #2

As long as your within the locals spot beam you will still get local stations. Once your outside that local spot beam you will be out of luck for locals. Most people simply use an OTA antenna for locals.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Once you are setup as a customer, whenever you wander just call dish and give them your zip code and they will switch you to the local channels.
Your hopper will work in the coach just fine.
You might want to consider a wireless joey configuration for a rear tv or an outside unit. The wireless configuration makes hookup simple!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
1) I imagine I wont be able to get my local channels but will I still get the majors ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX for nationally televised programming?
Yep, what MikeandRuth said.

Quote:
2) Not sure I want to do this but can I just take my Hopper DVR out of the house and hook her up once the system is changed over?
Yes.

Quote:
Anything else I need to know?
Have the installer run ALL THREE of the Travler's coax wires inside your RV. Right now there is probably just one (plus the control cable).

Why? If you have a Hopper 3, then you'll have to connect a DPH42 switch to the Travler and your Hopper 3.

Some people put their DPH42 on their RV roof. It makes wiring easier because then you only have to run 1 coax into your RV.

However, you appear to live in AZ, like me. Even though a DPH42 switch can be installed outdoors on the side of a house, I don't think the switch should be installed on an RV roof in the Southwest, constantly exposed to sunlight.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The national network feeds (east) is one reason I stay with DTV. We never have to reprogram the dvr. I think I read where dish is back providing the west coast feeds.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Yes dish can get you distant networks ( west coast feed only ) but they have to be on the rv receiver. Probably not one that goes back and forth from the house. DNS is not allowed in a fixed home location.
One option if your not in the rv a lot is to add a wally tuner or two $7 ea to the rv and turn them on the for months you rv and off when you don’t. You can then get locals changed as you travel . With the travler , the Wally is a two tuner , record one watch another tuner. One time $40 activation plus hard drive and no continuing DVR fees unlike the Hopper which includes a dvr fee ea month
Old 09-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
One option if your not in the rv a lot is to add a wally tuner or two $7 ea to the rv and turn them on the for months you rv and off when you don’t. You can then get locals changed as you travel . With the travler , the Wally is a two tuner , record one watch another tuner. One time $40 activation plus hard drive and no continuing DVR fees unlike the Hopper which includes a dvr fee ea month
Since OP would be just taking his home Hopper on the road, the Wally is totally unnecessary.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last year I was in the exact same situation. I already had a Wally from my previous gasser but dont use sat TV at home. Winegard sent me all the hardware to convert from Direct to Dish for about $350. Was a very simple conversion.

My Wally feeds the front, living room and outside TVs. The bedroom is separate.

Should you wish to take your Hopper on the road it will void the warranty bc Dish does want it in an RV due to vibration. I am told that turning the Hopper off prior to travel will secure the hard drive platters and avoid damage.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #9

Leave the Hopper at home

I am the OP;

I really am not set on taking the H3 out of the house. We often let family stay during our extended trips and seems like a lot of work for a few bucks. So maybe the best thing to do is just get a Wally. I need (or my installer) needs to figure out my wiring. I will be getting the rig in the next day or so. I will try to figure it out. I know in the electronics bay above the drivers seat I have the WG satellite controller, two 3 way HDMI splitters, blue ray player and the Sony amp. Not clear what the 3 way splitters are for (I have a separate Blue Ray Player in the bedroom) but when I disconnected power from one of them I could not access the Blue Ray player in the living area. Is it possible the other splitter is for the Satellite? Too many unknowns at this point.The only TV I can see the back of (out of 3 tvs) is in the living area and it has an HDMI labeled Satellite. I forget what hook ups are in the bedroom. I also have an HDMI and Coax Satellite in one of my bays but am not clear if these are outputs or inputs to a TV or input for a portable Dish.

Would pictures help?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #10

FWIW, I have a Dish VP211z receiver that I paid about a hundred bucks for. They're even less on Amazon. My coach came with a DirecTV dish installed...I did the swap over myself in less than an hour. My only complaint being that I bought the conversion kit from NIRV for $500 instead of buying it directly from Winegard for about $350. No, I do not get local channels outside of my home area. I use the crank-up antenna for that.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilervol View Post
The national network feeds (east) is one reason I stay with DTV. We never have to reprogram the dvr. I think I read where dish is back providing the west coast feeds.
Switching locals for DTV is a crap shoot, 3 weeks ago took 10 minutes, this week it took 24 hours. All depends on who you get. DW doesn't like playing with remotes, so getting all on DTV works for us, just sometimes a PITA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #12

He is not switching as he moves. If you set your DirecTV location to the NYC area, the networks are broadcast all over the country.
Its not Locals, its Distant Network Service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Switching locals for DTV is a crap shoot, 3 weeks ago took 10 minutes, this week it took 24 hours. All depends on who you get. DW doesn't like playing with remotes, so getting all on DTV works for us, just sometimes a PITA
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #13

Quote:
I am the OP;

I also have an HDMI and Coax Satellite in one of my bays but am not clear if these are outputs or inputs to a TV or input for a portable Dish.

Would pictures help?
Call Newmar and speak to one of their techs. They were able to help me identify all of the coax/Cat 6 runs in my coach. They even sent me diagrams specific to my coach. I have a coax connection in the shore power bay and was told it was for cable TV.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #14

HDMI wiring diagram

Newmar sent me the attached drawing. Stated that was all they had. I will let the powers that be decide if it needs to be posted somewhere else so all can access.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HDMI_AV_WIRING.pdf (421.9 KB, 48 views)

Tags
satellite, satellite tv