RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #1

Scales

Good morning,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased any type of portable scale for getting individual wheel weights to adjust tire pressure and balance loads from time to time. Seems as though CAT scales won't do individual wheels, only axle weight.

If anyone has one please let me know the make, model, etc and how well it works.

As always, thank you in advance for your help with this.

Best Regards,

Warren

almostready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #2

I have one, here is a thread about it from a few years ago https://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/whee...rs-352672.html

Overall it works well, and is handy to have, at the price I paid it was worth it, but I would never pay retail for one. I find that mine being ultra-thin is handy, it is the same thickness as a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, so I can use one of those as a dummy level when weighing. Many of the older designs are much thicker, some over 3 inches thick, however they are often also more robust and can be used on any hard packed surface, where mine needs to be restricted to smooth flat concrete, or possibly asphalt if it is near perfect. I even have to watch out for bits of gravel getting under the scale for fear it will cause damage being uneven.

Deals often show up on ebay, typically in the $200-$400 range, at the moment there is an apparently new in box mechanical dial style MD400 scale listed for $159+ shipping. The dial scales are not as accurate as the more modern digital models, though don't assume they are obsolete, the MD400 is still available new, and is commonly used by the US military, so you know it is robust.

p.s. a quick ebay search shows there is an even cheaper MD400 at the moment, listed at $127 with free shipping, though it does appear to be in rough shape, and is noted as needing calibration. The most common models to find on ebay seem to be the General Electrodynamics MD400, and various models from Intercomp commonly the PT300 and MH300, be aware some of these are built in both single and dual wheel width models.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
AlmostReady:

I've been weighing axles at Cat Scales for years to determine tag adjustment and tire pressure per manufacturer's specs, and I'm trying to imagine a case where I would need to know the weight on each tire.

The only thing I can come up with is a major systems/interior renovation that might pose a significant shift in weight distribution over the wheels from side to side, with the intent to counter-balance as required.

I've done a lot of renovating, but nothing that involved that kind of weight shift. That said, if there are other use cases that might mandate knowing individual tire load on a coach, please share.

TomAndPeg
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #4

Tom, you are making the assumption that the coach was somewhat well balanced from the factory, and that it was designed with storage compartments in places that helped balance the load, this is not always true.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

While not directly related...
Three of us went to get our 5th wheels weighed at Escapees Smartweigh (weigh by the wheel) in Jan 2020. We were looking for the same info you guys are and overall wondering how close we were to GVWR.

Two of us were over GVWR. One had the rear axle over its capacity the other was way over pin weight for his tow vehicle.

In the first case, the trailer had MASSIVE amounts of storage capacity/cargo doors behind the rear axle. They were mostly empty. There was nothing he could do to reduce the weight the rear axle. (It was a rear entertainment configuration). The two sofas, 2 recliners, and built-in cabinets that the factory installed made it so you could not use any rear storage nor could he make the axle safe to drive on without a serious overall all trailer clean out....so much for all that awesome slam-latch storage areas. Oh, and this was on a $100k 5er.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Tom, you are making the assumption that the coach was somewhat well balanced from the factory, and that it was designed with storage compartments in places that helped balance the load, this is not always true.
Hmmm.

Is one to assume that a manufacturer is only responsible for total axle loading, but not balanced wheel loading? I find it hard to believe that a manufacturer's design/QA process would not concern itself with both weight and balance.

That said, I can see how it might be instructive to know how much a coach weighs under each wheel, i.e. how well it is balanced, both empty and fully loaded.

TomAndPeg
Old 07-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
BTW: As noted, there are several truck/RV wheel scales for sale on eBay. This one has a 20,000 capacity: Portable Truck Axle Scale 20,000 lb capacity wheel weigher

TomAndPeg
Old 07-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndPeg View Post
Hmmm.

Is one to assume that a manufacturer is only responsible for total axle loading, but not balanced wheel loading? I find it hard to believe that a manufacturer's design/QA process would not concern itself with both weight and balance.

That said, I can see how it might be instructive to know how much a coach weighs under each wheel, i.e. how well it is balanced, both empty and fully loaded.
Yes, only total axle weight by the manufacturer.
My left front is 750 pounds heavier than the right front and my right rear is 650 pounds heavier than the left.
When you get weight at each axle position vs. the entire axle, you then set your tire inflation on that axle to the heaviest side.
As mentioned above, the Escapees Smart weigh program is a good way to go. You get to discuss your coach weights and tires with a knowledgeable Weigh Master and when I used them, Re-weighs were free within a year.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #9

Note the one you link to will only fit single wheel,s not dual wheels, with pad size of 16x14 inches, by comparison the pad size on mine is 16x28 inches. Of course that one is new, not used, still very limited on what you can weigh with it.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

Here are a couple of others on ebay, including the MD400 noted earlier https://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Ele...0/293633016739

The PT300 14x22 platform size

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOOD-INTERC...3/154014384948
Old 07-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've had three different DP's in 16 years. I've never had an individual weight done on any of them. I've weighed them front to rear and adjusted tire pressure to the weight. In reality, almost every Newmar model will weigh the same as the next identical model. So once my 4018 DS weight is determined, it will be pretty much the same for the next 4018 owner, maybe off by a few pounds. So just asking what someone else is using for tire pressure will be pretty close to what you need to use.

Newmar weighs every coach as it leaves the factory. If you email them, they will send you the four corner weights as it left the factory. Since the fuel tank, water tank and sewer tanks are centered in the coach, what they carry shouldn't have much of an impact on the side to side weights that Newmar gives you.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

Don, some brands are better about keeping things balanced than others, some like mine don't fully balance the tank positions on the centerline,perhaps due to lack of space. My coach is one of those, the twin fresh tanks, and the gray tank are symmetrical to the centerline,but the black tank is located at the back left corner. I suspect in general gas coaches will be running much closer to their axle and gross weight limits than most diesel pushers, side to side balance counts here too. With my coach I am always fighting to move weight aft, and often flirt with max front axle weight. Of course weight added to the rear behind the rear axle lightens the front end, and my water tanks are located aft.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Newmar weighs every coach as it leaves the factory. If you email them, they will send you the four corner weights as it left the factory.
Good suggestion, Don. I'll do just that and post what I discover about individual wheel weights leaving the factory; not much has changed since 2001. Aside from upgraded TV's, everything on our NewAire is configured as from the factory.

TomAndPeg
Old 08-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Out the Door Weights

I checked my Newmar factory build sheet and found the wheel weights (in pounds):

Steer, Drive, Tag
2500, 3420, 3480 - Left
2510, 3490, 3340 - Right

(Note that the NewAire 2801 has a single drive wheel, not dual. GVWR is 24,000.)

My observation is that my wheel weights are all well balanced, with the biggest difference is on the Tag: 140 lbs.

Give the opportunity, it will be interesting to get the current wheel weights and compare those to how it rolled out the door.

TomAndPeg