Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #1

Scorched Fibergass and Chrome Exhaust Tip

Returned from a 1200 mile round trip to Montana in our 2019 Dutch Star 4018 and noticed that the paint and chrome tip on our exhaust got very hot. The rear cap has a mouded piece around the opening in the cap where the exhaust tip crowds the outboard side. I texted the factory with a picture three days ago and haven't heard bad. I understand when the regeneration tacs pIace that the exhaust gets very hot. It seems to me it coud catch fire...Anyone eIse had this happen? I tried to attach photo but failed
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The regen does get extremely hot. Can you please post the pictures on here of your exhaust tip and the area you are referring too? How far past your cap does the exhaust tip come out?
Can you text me the pictures to the number below?
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #3

I had the same issue with mine, actually burn the paint around the exhaust tip, I painted the area with a high temp textured paint( rattle can ) and have not had any further issues
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Which chassis do you have?

My 2019, on a Freightliner chassis has not had this issue. I will say that the exhaust, during the summer on grades, heats the right front TST sensor on my toad, a Ford F150. The first time it happened, it got hot enough to trigger my heat limit alarm on the TST unit. I changed the alarm limits and solved that issue.

Later, I turned the exhaust tip, which is better described as a chrome shield from pointing down at the 6 o'clock position to about the 5 o'clock position, hoping to push the heat more out the side. When I did this, I did start to get some burning on the fiberglass surround. I turned it back to 6 o'clock and haven't had any other issues.

The toad tire still gets hot but hasn't been an issue. We just got back from a trip to Zion and Lake Crowley with the air temps through the desert at 106+.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #5

Not sure what model and chassis you have. Just returned from a 3K + mile trip and had 2 Regens occur during our trip and had no issues. I have Bluefire on an IPad to monitor engine and trans conditions and temperatures at the DPF normally runs in the 600-700 degrees range except when in Regen mode and temps went into the 1100 + range. Also noticed that the temps for the RF tire in our toad increased by about 200 degrees.
Ken C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:46 AM   #6

I have been in contact with customer service and they believe I need a different exhaust tip. I have requested a part number twice but they remian silent and want me to go to a freightiner shop to have it replaced. I have had a horrible experience at my freightiner shop and want to do this myself. Does anyone have a part number? Thanks for any hep.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I never cared for the half round chrome exhaust tip. If it were me, I would just look for a chrome or stainless steel 45 or 90 degree tip.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, gas