Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #1

Screeching noise from the full wall slide 19 DSDP

I am getting a loud screeching noise from the HWH full wall slide. The noise is right behind the driver. It happens only when driving over bumps. Even the smallest bumps will cause the noise. My warranty is up in a couple of days, so I want to register this issue with Newmar. My coach is a 2019 Dutch Star 4018. Anyone else have this? Solution? Thanks,Jared
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

Screeching noise from the full wall slide 19 DSDP

More details please.

Does it happen when Extending or Retracting?

Only while Driving?

Duration of sound?

Describe “Screech” a bit more?

Have you had anyone pinpoint the location?
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar JK View Post
I am getting a loud screeching noise from the HWH full wall slide. The noise is right behind the driver. It happens only when driving over bumps. Even the smallest bumps will cause the noise. My warranty is up in a couple of days, so I want to register this issue with Newmar. My coach is a 2019 Dutch Star 4018. Anyone else have this? Solution? Thanks,Jared
We have the same coach. Do you by chance have the booth dinette? The noise while driving over bumps was excruciating for the driver as his hearing aids amplified the noise coming from behind him. At our Warranty service appointment in October, the techs took it on a test drive to determine the source of the noise. Turns out the culprit was the drawer under the booth dinette. Now I would have sworn on my life the noise was from the slide right behind driver as that is where I could hear it while hubby was driving and I listened. The fix was to remove the dinette booth drawer and affix some velcro looking stuff at the latch point under the drawer. Bingo no more noise. Well until the other drawer starting acting up and we did the same fix on it ourselves. Before I got to the fix, I stuffed a towel on the top of the drawer to take up the "Slop" , slammed it shut and that hindered the screeching. I thought we were going to have to sell the rig as the noise was so bad. So give those things a try.
bbrewer841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
More details please.

Does it happen when Extending or Retracting?

Only while Driving?

Duration of sound?

Describe “Screech” a bit more?

Have you had anyone pinpoint the location?
Sound is only while driving.
Very short sound only while hitting bumps.
Don't know to better describe it than a loud annoying screech.
Location is right behind the driver, farthest front point of the full wall slide.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Did you try what bbrewer said to try
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrewer841 View Post
We have the same coach. Do you by chance have the booth dinette? The noise while driving over bumps was excruciating for the driver as his hearing aids amplified the noise coming from behind him. At our Warranty service appointment in October, the techs took it on a test drive to determine the source of the noise. Turns out the culprit was the drawer under the booth dinette. Now I would have sworn on my life the noise was from the slide right behind driver as that is where I could hear it while hubby was driving and I listened. The fix was to remove the dinette booth drawer and affix some velcro looking stuff at the latch point under the drawer. Bingo no more noise. Well until the other drawer starting acting up and we did the same fix on it ourselves. Before I got to the fix, I stuffed a towel on the top of the drawer to take up the "Slop" , slammed it shut and that hindered the screeching. I thought we were going to have to sell the rig as the noise was so bad. So give those things a try.
I'll have to check that out, but like you it sounds like it is inches from the back of the driver position. I do have the booth dinette so I guess it's possible but I will be very very surprised if that is it. My guess is that the full wall slide is bouncing a bit on bumps and that is making the noise.Thanks for the tip, Jared
Old 03-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Did you try what bbrewer said to try
Not yet. My coach is currently in the shop for warranty paint repairs.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #8

Most likely the slide is moving a bit thus making the noise. The fix is to adjust the puck at the bottom of the slide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Puck Adjustment.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	279630
Old 03-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Most likely the slide is moving a bit thus making the noise. The fix is to adjust the puck at the bottom of the slide.

Attachment 279630
Thanks Winepress, Do you know what the adjustment should be? In/out?
Old 03-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrewer841 View Post
Turns out the culprit was the drawer under the booth dinette...

Hmmmm....I wonder...we’ve been having a persistent squeaking too. However, the tech thought it was the window frame closest to the reefer. But...nope...it started up again.

Gotta try the euro booth drawers!
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same sound on my 2019. It was occurring on a good highway bump. After doing some research, I found it was the vertical piston in the slide wall, directly behind the driver, which is loosely mounted at the top. I could wiggle the piston with my hand. I took a piece of 3/8" x (about 3") rubber wiper hose, inserted a nylon tie wrap through the center and then wrapped it around the top of the piston and tightened. It doesn't affect operation, but keeps the piston from jumping around on bumps.

*****I'm amending this response.....the above repair eliminated a constant rattle on rough roads, right behind my head. The screech I still have on occasion. I believe it's the full wall slide actually jumping up on a large bump and dropping. It seems to have lessened since new. Sorry....a brain fart on this, which was something I worked on over a year ago.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I had the same sound on my 2019. It was occurring on a good highway bump. After doing some research, I found it was the vertical piston in the slide wall, directly behind the driver, which is loosely mounted at the top. I could wiggle the piston with my hand. I took a piece of 3/8" x (about 3") rubber wiper hose, inserted a nylon tie wrap through the center and then wrapped it around the top of the piston and tightened. It doesn't affect operation, but keeps the piston from jumping around on bumps.
Thanks Don, Was the slide in or out when you found and worked on it?
Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Don, Was the slide in or out when you found and worked on it?
Sorry, I'm going to amend my response.....I'm sitting here recovering from a knee replacement infection and not remembering what I fixed and haven't fixed a year ago. The rubber repair I described above, eliminated a constant rattle in the wall behind my head on certain roads. I still have the screech, but it seems to have slowed down. I contribute it to the slide actually lifting and then dropping on huge bumps.

The slide was in when I did the rattle repair, just pull down the nylon piston cover.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Winepress, Do you know what the adjustment should be? In/out?

In my case the pucks were not tight enough. In my DS, the noise was present near the drivers window and directly behind the drivers seat.

Tags
noise, scr, slide