Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Screws on New Aire Cargo Compartment Doors & Struts

We picked up our New Aire at the end of January. We have experienced constant failures of the screws that hold the cargo doors and struts. The screw heads pop off, leaving the screws embedded in the frame. Has anyone else had this problem?

In one case, all four screws that hold a strut broke, leaving the strut dangling under the coach. This morning we were ready to leave our campsite when the door to the Freightliner fuse compartment (under the driver’s seat) wouldn’t latch. Upon examination, four of the five screws that hold the hinge had broken.

After four hours and several trips to the hardware store, we’re finally on the road. I used stainless steel screws, and drilled new holes rather than using self-tapping screws like Newmar does. It appears the force required to drive the self-tapping screws puts too much stress on the screw head, leaving it vulnerable.

I spoke to a representative at Newmar who told me they are having many reports of this problem. Those who have a relatively new coach may want to monitor theirs closely so as not to get caught off guard, discovering that most or all have failed, and the coach can’t be driven until the repair is completed.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardSimmons View Post
We picked up our New Aire at the end of January. We have experienced constant failures of the screws that hold the cargo doors and struts. The screw heads pop off, leaving the screws embedded in the frame. Has anyone else had this problem?

In one case, all four screws that hold a strut broke, leaving the strut dangling under the coach. This morning we were ready to leave our campsite when the door to the Freightliner fuse compartment (under the driver’s seat) wouldn’t latch. Upon examination, four of the five screws that hold the hinge had broken.

After four hours and several trips to the hardware store, we’re finally on the road. I used stainless steel screws, and drilled new holes rather than using self-tapping screws like Newmar does. It appears the force required to drive the self-tapping screws puts too much stress on the screw head, leaving it vulnerable.

I spoke to a representative at Newmar who told me they are having many reports of this problem. Those who have a relatively new coach may want to monitor theirs closely so as not to get caught off guard, discovering that most or all have failed, and the coach can’t be driven until the repair is completed.
Hello Ward,
Yes, I have had several screws fail. The screws are of poor quality and after the first strut mounting failed, I am very careful in opening the bay doors. I think that mine broke from opening the door and letting it go, the door swings open, thus putting stress on the screws heads. I had Newmar repair the offending strut and have had no others fail. I am just careful when opening the doors.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

On my brand new 2018 Ventana LE, 2 of the screws heads were missing for one of the door struts. Upon removal of the other 2 screws, only about 1/4” of threads were holding the strut bracket in place. For the 2 screws that were broken off, I was able to remove the self-drilling screws from the door. I still had to move the strut base and drill new holes and install new screws due to the other screws breaking off below the surface of the door. Newmar really needs to address this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2958.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	200696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2959.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	200697  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2960.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	200704  
ssonthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not sure if this helps any but yesterday they came and put up my carport for my MADP. They also were using self tapping screws. Alot of times a screw was not tapping and the would toss it and get another. Possibly at the factory they are not tossing a bad one but using to much pressure to make it work and that causes the screw to fail.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:

Ward...

Thanks for the heads up. As a preventative maintenance action do you feel it is practical and effective to replace all the screws with stronger stainless screws? Wondering if by removing the current screws before they fail the current hardware placement and screw holes can be utilized thereby eliminating the need to drill new holes.

Gil
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal218 View Post
Ward...

Thanks for the heads up. As a preventative maintenance action do you feel it is practical and effective to replace all the screws with stronger stainless screws? Wondering if by removing the current screws before they fail the current hardware placement and screw holes can be utilized thereby eliminating the need to drill new holes.

Gil
Gil-

I’m not sure of the answer, but it’s a good question. I’d like to think Newmar would do this, but I have no reason to think they will. I intend to ask them.

If it’s not repaired by Newmar I will remove and replace those that will come out, and reinforce with new screw locations those that won’t. If they won’t come out, it will be because the heads shear off in trying to remove them.

Anyone who hasn't picked up yet could ask at delivery that several be removed at random. If the problem exists, I’d ask that they all be replaced before accepting delivery.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

When I drilled the pilot holes for the replacement screws, I found the door material to be rather tough (good thing) for a drill bit to go through. I suspect the self drilling screws are not nearly as tough as a drill bit and when it reaches resistance, it breaks. Sometimes at the surface (head breaks off) and other times mid-screw which is what I showed in the pictures.
ssonthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #8

screws

At least they are using button head screws on your struts. I have asked twice why countersunk head screws were used in non countersunk holes. Especially when the screws are subject to moisture such as the bay door struts where they attach to the bottom of the coach. I never received a reply.
The screw heads break off if you try to remove them.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Gil-

I’m not sure of the answer, but it’s a good question. I’d like to think Newmar would do this, but I have no reason to think they will. I intend to ask them.

If it’s not repaired by Newmar I will remove and replace those that will come out, and reinforce with new screw locations those that won’t. If they won’t come out, it will be because the heads shear off in trying to remove them.

Anyone who hasn't picked up yet could ask at delivery that several be removed at random. If the problem exists, I’d ask that they all be replaced before accepting delivery.
Ward...

Had many failed prior to your factory visit? If so, was it addressed then? If not, any idea what is triggering the failures now?

I’ll be interested to hear how many you can get out without them breaking.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal218 View Post
Ward...

Gil
Careful w using SS as replacement.
I think there is a common misperception that SS is stronger and in general that's not the case.

From a fastener supplier website...

"Steel is the most common fastener material because it is strong and inexpensive when compared to stainless.*"

Also heads of SS strip easy especially phillips. Square drive are generally the most durable...and will frequently allow you to twist the head off.... oh that's what we're trying to prevent??? [emoji33]
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:40 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Winemaker2, saved me from typing exactly what you said!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
Thanks Winemaker2, saved me from typing exactly what you said!!!
Thanks Winemaker &Rapid Rick...what is the best fastener to use considering strength and rust?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 AM   #13

Maybe use Pop rivets in the place of the removed screw?
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #14

Self taping stainless won't rust, but I've never found them to be much stronger than just regular self taping.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, door, doors, scr