Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #1

For a 2005 Essex, the slideout tops have a white, rubber-like skin. My curbside living room slideout has the edge sealant that looks a bit aged where the white top material meets the edge. What is Newmar recommending for the replacement sealer? The surface looks prone to damage with improper removal of the old sealant. Any tricks you can pass along to remove the old sealant and replace?
Thanks Newmar owners team!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #2

For a 2005 Essex, the slideout tops have a white, rubber-like skin. My curbside living room slideout has the edge sealant that looks a bit aged where the white top material meets the edge. What is Newmar recommending for the replacement sealer? The surface looks prone to damage with improper removal of the old sealant. Any tricks you can pass along to remove the old sealant and replace?
Thanks Newmar owners team!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wasn't sure what you were talking about so I want out and took alook at mine. I have the metal wrap around awnings, the metal strips that hold awning to wall sides has a ribbon 1"type caulk that comes in rolls under these strips. I found that some of the stainless steel screws need to be tightened up which will squeeze the caulk strip tighter to the wall. The strips for window awning all the screws can be tightened if screws for slide awning need tightening thats a tougher job.
The sealant your talking about is it where the topper cover meets the metal wrap?? Mine just slide thru the metal warp strip no caulk. IF you find that water is getting thru this strip you could use any sealant to stop this.
The sealants will mildew and I have used some deluted bleach to remove or a good black streak remover.
If your awning strip is pulled away from wall I would just tighten the screws on same caulk if its worst than that see a Dealer your still under warranty.
If you don't have a metal wrap than I would just tighten the screws to squeeze the caulk that is under the metal strip, BIG JOB if you want to replace 1" ribbon strip.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply but I have a different set up. The curb side living room slideout does not have a awning topper. I have a ~20' Carefree Mirage main awning but no awning attached directly to this slide. The new Essex does have one...but not mine. So the slideout is out in the elements unless I extend the main awning. The tops of all the slideouts have a white rubber skin. Where they attach at the outer edge of this particular living room slide there is a metal band with screws. Along the edge of the metal is a line of white caulking. It is also over the screws themselves. That is what I want to replace.
Anyone with one of these set-ups?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I understand now, is the sealant dried out that much on a 05 not sure they used a ribbon caulk strip for that seam. I have the same seam must of those seams they use a ribbon sealent. If you went to a Newmar Dealer they may have it in stock or they can order it for you. The screws maybe covered with a flow level sealant. I have removed sealant with a tongue suppressor stick or a plastic spatula. If you call the Newmar repair center they should be able to tell you the correct sealant.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote