Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Searching for misc. information

We're putting together a build sheet for a 2016 Ventana 4037. Originally, we where considering a 4316 (bunk model) with the bunks removed in order to store our carbon road bikes. We decided it was more important to have a slightly shorter coach than to have a dedicated bike closet. Due to the shape of our driveway leading to the RV pad...I think 40ft will be challenging enough.

So, question for you guys with 400hp Cummins propulsion units. How hot is it at the back of the coach? If we used a stacked receiver (ball for car dolly plus raised bike rack),,, would the bikes get really hot? Would having two bikes with a cover interrupt cooling airflow to the radiator? I ask because I've never been close to the back of a running Newmar. I have no clue how the cooling air is routed.

Thanks so much in advance. We're trying to envision how best to transport our fun toys on the road... Folding bikes, folding kayaks will be easily stored in the cargo compartment... The carbon road bikes are our concern. I think they'd clash against something if we tried one of the ladder mounted racks.
C.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"C.Martin".......A rear radiator picks up the air from under the coach, like a large vacuum and then pushes it out the back. That means the air will be dirty and hot. We carried bikes for years at the rear of our previous rear radiator DP and never had any issues, but they weren't covered. Since the air is pushing out, a cover shouldn't be an issue, unless it's right up against the doors.

Have you thought about putting the rack on the tow car? Another option is to put a rack on the front. My neighbor has one on the front of his Class A gas and my BIL has one on the front of his DP.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Roof rack on your toad?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies...

I thought about our Thule rack on the back of the towed...but preparing in case the angle of the car, on the dolly, would cause the bike rack to have ground clearance issues (Toyota RAV4 or Prius). The roof rack is an option on the Rav. When we use roof mounts...we usually mount the bikes too far apart to be covered...(rack instructions have you keep the mount closer to the crossbar ends, probably to lessens bending loads on the crossbars. We use the roof rack on good weather days for the road bikes...and in any weather for mountain bikes...

Sounds like it might work though...

I had no idea there were so many different options available in a Motorhome.
Wow!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post

When we use roof mounts...we usually mount the bikes too far apart to be covered...(rack instructions have you keep the mount closer to the crossbar ends, probably to lessens bending loads on the crossbars.
Use more titanium parts on your bikes to reduce the bending loads.

Just kidding!

The primary reason for mounting closer to the crossbar ends is to ease loading/unloading on the rack. You SHOULD be able to mount the racks anywhere on the crossbars and not exceed any structural limits.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-01-2015, 05:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stu,

Nice Avatar!... I'll get some more titanium parts when I upgrade to 777

Charlie
Old 09-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

Best solution for bikes is to carry them in the pass through storage. We have a much shorter coach, and generally just carry a tandem bike, but we have loaded two singles.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote