RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
SOOO glad you are OK. Very frightening.

So what type of extinguisher did you have and use? I have 4 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GJQVI1X8&psc=1

I may be buying more now :-)

richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #16

We are headed for Newmar this weekend and will be spending several days there going over our coach. I spoke with Newmar yesterday and as of then they have not heard back from Villa. I will update when I get to Newmar or when I hear back from ( or not ) Villa. I had asked that they do an inspection of the passenger seat, to make sure I don't have a similar problem with the passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
SOOO glad you are OK. Very frightening.

So what type of extinguisher did you have and use? I have 4 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GJQVI1X8&psc=1

I may be buying more now :-)
No not the same but very similar, small nozzle saved my day. Mine had a bracket that was mounted inside kitchen cabinet. If I recall i bought it at the Tampa RV show.

NCC-1701A. I don't recall thinking how much farther I could drive, but my second very major concern was being hit by a tractor trailer. I didn't want the fix ( stopping in the travel lane )to be worst than the problem (putting out a small but very smoky fire ) I think the fact that I put on my four way flashes I was at that point. If you look at the picture of the fire truck behind me you would see that I could have stop 100-150 yards sooner, but i didn't and I don't know why. My RV was doing 60 mph but my mind was going 200 mph

I am glad to see that a lot of people have looked at this thread. I have personally learned a lot from that 90 seconds, and hope others will do to.

96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #17

Please PM me.
Thanks
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #18

Have owned LA.s and Essex's since 97 and the front seats have had 10 gauge wires that if you don't watch when turning the seats will damage or break the wires. Both Flex Steel and Villa seats have the wires installed by Newmar that can have this problem and in this case turned into a fire. Would suggest Newmar owners check their wiring on their front seats and be careful when turning their seats. Have added additional wire length so wires aren't pulled so hard when turning the seats.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thank you for sharing! Outstanding emergency management! Very glad you are safe, sound, and left with minimal damage! Roger will get your coach right.

Do not be hard on yourself around what went right and what didn't. Emergency Response is part of my day job, and every event delivers opportunities to improve the next response.

You did good, we all should take your learnings and build them into our routines. You fight like you train.

Best of luck going forward.

cheers,
John
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post

Lessions learned from this. ..... where I went to first. ....
Epic failure in the lessons learned department.

Get out get out fast.

Fortunately we are not reading a story where the fire marshal can not explain why the driver did not immediately leave the MH and was overcome b y smoke inhalation.

My fire extinguisher is located by the front door. If I saw a car on fire with a child trapped inside I would be running toward it with my fire extinguisher.

Other wise I have insurance. Property can be replaced.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:43 AM   #21

If a wire can start a fire, it is not fused or protected properly. Have Newmar explain what they did to correct this! Ask if you cut and ground this wire again will it replay your incident.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
If a wire can start a fire, it is not fused or protected properly. Have Newmar explain what they did to correct this! Ask if you cut and ground this wire again will it replay your incident.
Exactly. If the seat were properly fused, this could not have happened. If you want to be super safe, put an additional fuse in the seat power line.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #23

A dozen fuses won't help if they aren't the right amperage. I would do a circuit check while running the seat controls and install a fuse 2 to 3 amps heavier than the amperage required to run the seat.
Newmar should have the information but it may be flawed. For a wire to short out that badly and not blow a fuse sounds suspicious to me. The wiring must have gotten real hot for a while before you noticed it.
You will probably smell smoke in that MH as long as you own it.
I'm glad you got stopped and were able to get the fire under control safely. Someone was watching over you.
Lynn
Old 08-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #24

A wire gets hot because of over current in the wire. Not because of over current in the fuse. If you turn the seat and cut/break half the wire strands you just turned a 10 gauge 30 amp wire into a 14 gauge 15 amp wire.

Assuming the circuit was fused as a 10 gauge 30 amp circuit it will be severely overloaded when some strands are cut. However, the 30 amp fuse will not blow but the wire down stream of the cut will get very hot very fast.

Fuses and circuit breakers can't protect in every instance.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #25

Fuses and breakers can't protect everything all the time but I'd be interested in knowing what amperage the fuse was in the wire leading to that seat. You never know what someone might do to try to stop a fuse from blowing.
I have seen pieces of copper tubing used in place of fuses on cars and trucks back when glass fuses were used and spade connectors with wire between them in place of the ATC style fuses. I have also seen heavy duty paper clips in fuse panels.
Lynn
Old 08-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Fuses and breakers can't protect everything all the time but I'd be interested in knowing what amperage the fuse was in the wire leading to that seat.
Lynn
The OP stated, in post #1, that it was a 30 amp fuse/breaker. That would be correct for a 10 gauge wire which is the wire size feeding the seat in my Newmar and one other Newmar that I have checked. I have no idea what size wire Fleetwood uses.

I suspect the whole thing could have been avoided had someone determined the cause of the initial fuse/breaker failure instead of simply installing a new one. I'll say it again, fuses fail and breakers break for a reason. When it happens you need to fix that reason first.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #27

It was 'supposed' to be a 30 A. fuse. Does the OP know for sure? Which protection did the circuit have? A fuse or a breaker?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
It was 'supposed' to be a 30 A. fuse. Does the OP know for sure? Which protection did the circuit have? A fuse or a breaker?
We got to Newmar last night and much to our relief it does not smell at all. I know very little about electric, it sounds like wires got pinched under the seat. Both driver and passenger seats have there own 30 amp fuses/breakers. I was told by my tech last month that this a fuse/breaker. I will know more when I meet with Newmar this week.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1596384379
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9bb.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	295504  

96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, seat