Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Secondary TPMS on Lincoln Nautilus?

We’re getting ready to tow LadyDi’s 2020 Lincoln Nautilus and have a few questions for other Nautilus owners regarding adding TPMS sensors to the valvestems for the EezTire TPMS we use in the coach.

While the Nautilus does have TPMS built in, it can’t be linked to the EezTire system. With our 2014 Honda CR-V (which also has a built-in TPMS), we added metal valvestems and EezTire sensors. There has been no interaction issues because the built-in CR-V TPMS uses a wheel-speed sensing protocol and does not actually send RF pressure signals.

I don’t know what kind of system is used in the Nautilus and Ford/Lincoln techs give me a “deer-in-the-headlights” stare when I ask. I’ve been trying to do some independent research, but thus far haven’t found the answers.

So, three questions for other Lincoln Nautilus users: (1) do you know what kind of TPMS system is used in the car, (2) is anyone using EezTire (or other aftermarket) sensors on their vehicle successfully and, (3) did you add metal valvestems for greater stability?

We really do like to monitor the toad tires as well as those on the coach.

Thanks for any feedback.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Hopefully, I have found the answer; I called EezTire tech support (should have thought of that before) and the tech assured me that the two systems use different frequencies and "will not interfere with each other." I do hope he is right.

If anyone is using the EezTire system with the a Lincoln or current Ford vehicle, I would be interested hearing about your experience. I was also told that with the smaller non-flow-through sensors, I do not need metal valve stems.

All this time, I have been focusing my research on Lincoln; I should have contacted EezTire in the first place.

TJ
Old 04-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #3

I would caution against the possibility of galvanic corrosion if you leave the TPMS sensors installed on the toad for an extended period of time, if the sensors have metal threads that are not pretty close to the galvanic potential of the valve stem threads. Anti-seize compound can help with this if it's a potential problem.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #4

Been using them on our 2013 Ford Flex for 5 years . No issues.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I would caution against the possibility of galvanic corrosion if you leave the TPMS sensors installed on the toad for an extended period of time, if the sensors have metal threads that are not pretty close to the galvanic potential of the valve stem threads. Anti-seize compound can help with this if it's a potential problem.
The threaded part of the sensor base is brass, same as the valvestem. And, being a belt-and-suspenders guy, I use anti-seize on them too (and, the proper type for brass-to-brass).

TJ
Old 04-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #6

Dont know if its the same across all model years and brands but on my 2010 Silverado, the value stem is integrated with the internal TPMS sensor. So no way to swap out just valve stems...would be curious to know if this arrangement has changed???....in the "old days" I always liked to change valve stems when I changed tires....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The threaded part of the sensor base is brass, same as the valvestem. And, being a belt-and-suspenders guy, I use anti-seize on them too (and, the proper type for brass-to-brass).

TJ
Yup. A lot of TPMS valve stems are aluminum, though, as are those we have on our CR-V, and some screw-on sensors are also aluminum. I have brass screw-on sensors, but I don't plan to leave them in place for long periods, and I use anti-seize on them to keep them from getting stuck.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Dont know if its the same across all model years and brands but on my 2010 Silverado, the value stem is integrated with the internal TPMS sensor. So no way to swap out just valve stems...would be curious to know if this arrangement has changed???....in the "old days" I always liked to change valve stems when I changed tires....

On Fords, the rubber valve stem can be removed from the internal sensor. In fact they recommend changing the stems when swapping tires.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #9

I have been doing basicaly the same thing with my 2017 GMC Arcada on a Dolly behind our 2020 Dutch Star. Using a TPMS made by TST. Only been 3000 miles but everything seems to be working ok. As for galvanic corrosion, I simply apply a thin coat of grease to seal it. I like the Anti-seize compound idea. The sensors are a completely different fequency so I have not had and do not expect to have any interferance or cross talk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms