RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Secret storage

Im preparing for my long winter trip out west while everyone else heads to Florida and in my prep is checking slide motors. In the process it occurred to me there is a ton of storage below the under bed storage floors. Now you do have to be careful anything stored beneath is secure and doesnt interfere with the slide motor and components. But if packed properly you have a lot of storage space. Also way in the back is a huge platform for storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	256347

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No wonder there is a nationwide shortage of water filters!

1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Secret storage

The guy at Home Depot and Lowes had no explanation as to why they were out of filters. Glad we got that answered.
Name:   77967CC5-176E-448B-AE00-F9B6DA224A1B-7406-0000054AA78FEB4B.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  18.2 KB
Old 08-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #4

Doesn't the carpeted section of plywood go OVER that 'hidden area'?

So everything you have stowed on TOP of that carpeted plywood would have to be unloaded in order to move the carpeted plywood to access the area underneath where the slideout motor/mechanism is ???

OR am I look at that picture wrong?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
No wonder there is a nationwide shortage of water filters!
That reminds me, I need to bring my collection of city water blue filters in from the OASIS bay. Man, storage is opening up everywhere!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Doesn't the carpeted section of plywood go OVER that 'hidden area'?

So everything you have stowed on TOP of that carpeted plywood would have to be unloaded in order to move the carpeted plywood to access the area underneath where the slideout motor/mechanism is ???

OR am I look at that picture wrong?
Yes, that is correct, sorta. The carpeted panels are two pieces, one short up front and a longer in the back. The area I'm storing under right now is the shorter section at the front. I would need to only unload what's up front, remove one screw and access what's below. This is why I have things underneath that I wouldn't need as frequently such as my spare wiper blades, bike cover, spare blue ox cover as mine is tearing but still usable, basement door hydraulic lifts, and a filter or two
Old 08-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes, that is correct, sorta. The carpeted panels are two pieces, one short up front and a longer in the back. The area I'm storing under right now is the shorter section at the front. I would need to only unload what's up front, remove one screw and access what's below. This is why I have things underneath that I wouldn't need as frequently such as my spare wiper blades, bike cover, spare blue ox cover as mine is tearing but still usable, basement door hydraulic lifts, and a filter or two

So you could do away with most of that stuff and not miss it cause you don't use it anyway.....just 'STUFF'

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah....my first look and I thought maybe you were opening a store on the west coast.

I do the same thing....I store things in places that may be a little difficult to access, but I only put things there that I don't use very often. Another good spot are the lower drawers in the bedroom. They sit about 3" off the floor. If you pull them all the way out there is some good flat storage.

I found another spot in the rear bath. My coach has the arched ceiling, but the two rear cabinets are flat across the top and have storage on top of them. There is crown molding so things stay in place. I have MCD shade components up there.

Secret storage is great, but I found I had to make an alphabetical list of all the things I hid and where I hid them.

Lastly, the lower front section (kick panel) on many of the living room sofas is just held in place with two hooks at the top. I removed my and put clips on the back that hold our monopole binocular poles.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had a jack knife sofa under that is great storage, it's since been replaced with a desk which opens up even more storage.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
People laugh when you tell them you have a 40' coach and are looking for hidden storage. With a tag axle, you lose some space. It's not so much that I don't have enough storage, but I like to have some open storage when were on a trip and want to buy something.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll take any and all storage I can find. I just massively thinned out what I had in the coach as I have way too many tools, I prefer being prepared, cleaning stuff, etc. But with a 6 month'er ahead and bringing along a new telescope to enjoy the south west skies my storage space is at a premium, like everyone's. Fishing gear, shooting stuff, sports stuff, winter clothes, hot weather clothes, kayak stuff, office/business stuff, it adds up! Good thing I added wheels to my jacks!
Old 08-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Neal-

With all the improvements you have made, and secret storage places exploited, I have to ask... When was the last time you had a four-corner weigh of the "VentEssex?"
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Neal-

With all the improvements you have made, and secret storage places exploited, I have to ask... When was the last time you had a four-corner weigh of the "VentEssex?"
Darn, I knew I should have read this thread sooner......you beat me to it!!!!!

I need to drive across the scales again this year myself. As of last weigh in I had just over 3,200 pounds of "stuff" loaded. I won't be letting the DW know you found more storage under the bed Neil or I'll have 4,000 pounds of "stuff" loaded.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I visited the doctor last December and stepped on the scales. He said I can continue my Amazon supply line, I am not close to needing anything other than an intervention.

Tags
storage