Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Securing Essex Recessed Roof Cowling

G'morning:

Say,...are there any Essex (or maybe King Aire) jockeys out here who have found that some of the hex head, self starting metal screws, which hold the cowling and cowling seams around the inside perimeter of their recessed roof, occasionally seem to work themselves loose, and even out of this cowling so I find one or two in the gutters from time to time?? I've replaced loose or missing screws, and tightened loose ones, but this continues to happen, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure em (ie., lock-tite, or star washers, or lock washers, or larger screws, er WHAT??).

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #2

Hi Steve, You might want to ask Newmar that question. As I recall, they made some changes as to the mounting of the cowls. I think they originally had a stand-off set-up but changed mine to a lower mounting. Prior to that I had lost a panel on the road. No issues since they changed it.

Peter
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

You talking the black metal pieces maybe a foot wide and 2 pieces per side each maybe 15ft long mounted from the top of the awning angled down into the inside of the roof area? Self taping (3/8 or 7/16 hex head, I forgot which)?

Come loose all the time. Some even nearly fall out. Seems to be the same ones every time. I carry a wrench every time I venture to the roof to tighten them. Last trip to Newmar a few months ago they had no solution other than drive the next sized screw in - that even from Nevin. I didn't go for that option. I was going to try some silicone sealant with the thinking it is pliable (me thinks a key due to vibration) and remains gummy enough to hold them in. I have yet to do this. I don't think any of the LocTite products would work (they are more of a set-up type glue), but sure is worth a try. BTW Lock washers (either split or star) don't work either.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I agree lock-tite would not work, try silicone sealant on the threads and after threading it in some silicone sealant on the head to keep it from turning. Now another reason to climb up on the roof.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #5

Gotta love this forum.

I had the ladder out last weekend to check the roof after the big October snow storm prior to a little drive about. Found the exact problem as Chickadee. I just tightened them up and made a mental note to keep an eye on the situation from now on.

I thought it was weird, but now almost feel better knowing it's not only me.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback.

(ottffss: Yup, Those ARE the panels I'm referring to.)

Guess I'll try the silicone idea. One thing though,...while it doesn't bother me to crawl up on the roof (done so a number of times), I'm a pretty big guy and I worry about how strong the roof is with regard to supporting the weight.
How worried should I be?? (Please keep the "fat guy" jokes to a minimum, hmmm )

Steve
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I am around 220 and try step where the trusses are or I crawl around on the roof.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Say, Peter (Lug Nut):

You mentioned "changing" to a "lower mounting" vs. the "stand-off". Not sure I understand.....and....is this something done at Nappanee or did you do it yourself??

Thanks.

Steve
Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

I've had really good luck with a dab of 3M 5200 adhevise sealant on screws when running them in, excess wipes off, maybe a little lacquer thinner if it sits too long befor clean up.
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
teamwally:

Thanks.

Steve

Tags
roof