Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #435

I didn't put slides out or anything, just backed in and parked in garage, leaving it road ready. I decided not to fill up fuel as I was concerned about ignition cycles.

Thanks
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #436

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I didn't put slides out or anything, just backed in and parked in garage, leaving it road ready. I decided not to fill up fuel as I was concerned about ignition cycles.

Thanks
Just noticed it’s a Spartan chassis - that pretty much confirms it.

Also have them change the DEF filter while they are in there. It’s something I do annually regardless of milage rather than the 200-300k 3 year recommended interval that was developed for high use vehicles.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #437

I've emailed Spartan and Newmar (supposed to leave for Nappanee on Saturday for an appointment next Monday for warrant/retail work). Since I'm not stuck on the side of the road, I didn't feel I should call their on call numbers. I'll followup with a call in the morning.

I've seen some people talking about getting gen 7 heads in the last week. Does anyone know if Spartan now has plenty of stock?
Old 08-16-2021, 03:47 AM   #438

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I've emailed Spartan and Newmar (supposed to leave for Nappanee on Saturday for an appointment next Monday for warrant/retail work). Since I'm not stuck on the side of the road, I didn't feel I should call their on call numbers. I'll followup with a call in the morning.
When my DEF head went bad I was on a short drive like you near home to exercise the engine and fill-up, I got the single code for DEF temp when I was getting ready to leave the pumps. That was a Saturday. On Sunday I turned on the system, but w/out starting the engine to get a picture of the code before I called on Monday morning (like you I didn't think it warranted a weekend call when I was safely at home). Without having done any additional engine starts I now had 2 codes, DEF temp and Quality both FMI 9, so I got pictures of both.

When I spoke to my local service folks that I was going to take it to they called me back Monday afternoon to say that Spartan was telling them I should have 3 codes, but they had put my name on a list of affected folks. I didn't have a chance to do anything more until Thursday, but that morning I again went out and with the system on but engine off went through the codes and all 3 were present. Bottom line once the sensor package starts to go all the sensors will go and it can happen regardless of starting the engine again. Also I recommend getting pictures before you call them so you can text them the pics while on the phone. And use the technique above to get the codes w/out another start of the engine.

When my DEF head finally arrived at the local shop I'd arranged with the shop foreman to verify they had it before I took the drive out and with that verification in hand I set out for their shop. I made sure they knew I was coming and I'd worked out w/ them what to do if derate had kicked-in on the way there. I was lucky and didn't experience any derate in my 40mile drive including some significant interstate hill climbing. I planned my trip for a time of day that would keep me out of traffic as much as possible etc. to help me not get slowed down, and also because if I did need roadside assistance I'd rather do it w/out extra traffic. Good luck on getting a head soon and also on a safe trip to the service center.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:21 AM   #439

Thanks for the info Richard, including the tip about checking the codes without turning on the engine. I did take pictures of the two codes I did get, so those are with me.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:52 AM   #440

So, there doesn't seem to be much pattern of say only low mileage people (like myself) that might have def sit longer. I'm seeing a lot of fairly high mileage people with failures themselves. Some people in this thread, and others like the recent poll that was started, post their mileage.

The reason I was curious about this pattern is due to how fresh the def would be. It's harder for a low mileage person to rotate def and keep it fresh.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #441

It would have been awesome if they would have put a drain in the DEF tank. If DEF is that unstable and has such a short shelf life then that would certainly have helped with draining the fluid, flushing the tank and adding new fluid.

If DEF quality and length of storage is a determining factor then, why are truckers that put many miles on their vehicle as well as constantly adding new DEF shutting down as well?
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
It would have been awesome if they would have put a drain in the DEF tank. If DEF is that unstable and has such a short shelf life then that would certainly have helped with draining the fluid, flushing the tank and adding new fluid.

If DEF quality and length of storage is a determining factor then, why are truckers that put many miles on their vehicle as well as constantly adding new DEF shutting down as well?
Yea, it looks like both low mileage people like me, and high mileage RV'rs and truckers are having def heads fail. For the high mile guys, it's hard to see how old Def is the problem, unless there is just a ton of bad def in the stores and truck stop tanks.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #443

This last week changed out the DEF filter on our 18 London Aire with Spartan K-3 chassis. Make sure to follow the directions since they are detailed. Added more insulation around the back of the DEF compartment which is close to the engine.
There is a drain plug to drain the DEF fluid out of the tank. Would suggest IF any question to the DEF fluid. then draining the tank and put fresh DEF fluid would be the way to go.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #444

I will have to look for the drain plug. I haven’t seen one yet.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #445

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
When my DEF head went bad I was on a short drive like you near home to exercise the engine and fill-up, I got the single code for DEF temp when I was getting ready to leave the pumps. That was a Saturday. On Sunday I turned on the system, but w/out starting the engine to get a picture of the code before I called on Monday morning (like you I didn't think it warranted a weekend call when I was safely at home). Without having done any additional engine starts I now had 2 codes, DEF temp and Quality both FMI 9, so I got pictures of both.

When I spoke to my local service folks that I was going to take it to they called me back Monday afternoon to say that Spartan was telling them I should have 3 codes, but they had put my name on a list of affected folks. I didn't have a chance to do anything more until Thursday, but that morning I again went out and with the system on but engine off went through the codes and all 3 were present. Bottom line once the sensor package starts to go all the sensors will go and it can happen regardless of starting the engine again. Also I recommend getting pictures before you call them so you can text them the pics while on the phone. And use the technique above to get the codes w/out another start of the engine.

When my DEF head finally arrived at the local shop I'd arranged with the shop foreman to verify they had it before I took the drive out and with that verification in hand I set out for their shop. I made sure they knew I was coming and I'd worked out w/ them what to do if derate had kicked-in on the way there. I was lucky and didn't experience any derate in my 40mile drive including some significant interstate hill climbing. I planned my trip for a time of day that would keep me out of traffic as much as possible etc. to help me not get slowed down, and also because if I did need roadside assistance I'd rather do it w/out extra traffic. Good luck on getting a head soon and also on a safe trip to the service center.

- Richard
This has me wondering if an ignition cycle is starting the engine, or just activating the system, for instance, by turning on the ignition to read codes without starting the engine.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I will have to look for the drain plug. I haven’t seen one yet.
I went looking the other day in case I end up with the problem and need to drain the DEF tank. On my 2016 DSDP 4369 (Freightliner), the DEF drain plug is on the bottom of the DEF tank. See the photo. The DEF filter is in the upper left corner of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210816_182149.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	339819  
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
I went looking the other day in case I end up with the problem and need to drain the DEF tank. On my 2016 DSDP 4369 (Freightliner), the DEF drain plug is on the bottom of the DEF tank. See the photo. The DEF filter is in the upper left corner of the photo.
Thanks. I will take a look when I get back to the coach. I guess I would have never figured that as a drain plug.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #448

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
Thanks for the photo, I'll go back and check. It raises a question, has anyone gone through this drain and refill process?

I know my current DEF is probably a 50/50 mixture of newish and 1+ year old fluid. It checks OK on urea content, but I was all ready to be super cautious - drain the current DEF then refill with fresh from jugs with current date codes. Then I read something where someone said they got failure codes after doing this. It was unclear the steps they had followed. If I leave the ignition off and refill the tank immediately after draining it - filling it to the full level - am I going to regret it?
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel