Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Seeking Input from Others - Hydralift/Golf Cart

We've decided we want to tote a street legal golf/leisure cart by means of a Hydralift(HL)and beginning research on both; the best type of cart to buy (4-passenger)? and the particular model HL we'll need? We're aware US Fed/State Hwy code limits the length of the cart (or width when using a lift) to 101.5" and wondering if there are any others here in the Newmar Owner's forum that have done the same. Typical 4-passenger carts are too long (i.e. >101.5") so we're looking into modifications that would allow the rear facing cart seat base plate to fold up for transporting the cart. The attached photo is an example of what we're talking about (shown with a 2-seater GC). Hydralift tells us they make a special lift (modified to accept the heavier carts) but we're also considering potential interference with the coach's taillights. Pulling a toad/dinghy will not be an issue and Spartan advises that our chassis can handle both with no issue. Experience/opinions welcome...we just want to make the right choices and have a trouble free set-up. Our coach is a Newmar Essex 45 DP on Spartan K3.

If you've got a similar set-up, please share your experience, advice and opinion. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Hydralift Electric Cart Lift b.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	146300
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:57 AM   #2

Have a look at these 2 carts. They are both street legal

http://www.ezgo.com/Home/Personal/2Five/2Five4Pass

Home - Garia Luxury Golf Car

The Hydralift is a great lift!

Good Luck!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
We've decided we want to tote a street legal golf/leisure cart by means of a Hydralift(HL)and beginning research on both; the best type of cart to buy (4-passenger)? and the particular model HL we'll need? We're aware US Fed/State Hwy code limits the length of the cart (or width when using a lift) to 101.5" and wondering if there are any others here in the Newmar Owner's forum that have done the same. Typical 4-passenger carts are too long (i.e. >101.5") so we're looking into modifications that would allow the rear facing cart seat base plate to fold up for transporting the cart. The attached photo is an example of what we're talking about (shown with a 2-seater GC). Hydralift tells us they make a special lift (modified to accept the heavier carts) but we're also considering potential interference with the coach's taillights. Pulling a toad/dinghy will not be an issue and Spartan advises that our chassis can handle both with no issue. Experience/opinions welcome...we just want to make the right choices and have a trouble free set-up. Our coach is a Newmar Essex 45 DP on Spartan K3.

If you've got a similar set-up, please share your experience, advice and opinion. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Attachment 146300
I can't answer about a golf cart, I use the Hydra-Lift to carry a 1000 pound motorcycle. If the vehicle goes side to side on the back of the coach, it WILL block the tail lights. I had the lift installed and had the installer add aux lighting on the back of the lift to compensate. I use a L.E.D. strip right under the back lip of the lift, but I have also seen regular round lights added to the lift on each side.
SMertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

While I don't havea Newmar or a Hydralift, I do have a 4 seat golf cart, it is a E-Z Go RXV which is on the same body and shares much of the same drivetrain with the above mentioned 2Five (the 2Five adds mechanical brakes, a speedometer and a few other things and is registered at time of production as an LSV with has a VIN number, etc). Anyway the point I am getting at is that my RXV was bought as a 2 seat cart, then had an aftermarket rear seat conversion done which uses a different foot plate than the factory 4 seat cart and can removed easily (4 bolts), or if 2 bolts are removed it can pivot up, I know because I have a trailer which is about 102 inches long with a lift up tailgate and I either have to remove the tailgate or remove pivot the foot rest to get the golfcart to fit onboard. I suspect you could swap out all the parts between the aftermarket rear seat and the factory rear seat and do the same thing. I am not sure what is involved in removing the factory fixed foot plate, but suspect it is likely still only a few bolts, however they may be at arms length. I had to remove my foot plate as well as its mounting bars to replace a bad electric brake on my RXV (simple job the thing is held in by 3 bolts, just a pain since it must be done at arms length and the brake weighs about 7 or 8 pounds).

I would suggest double checking this with an E-Z go dealer that has a factory 2Five or RXV with factory 4 seat cart though.

Also be aware LSV's and street legal golf carts (2 different things for legal reasons, LSV's have a VIN number at build time) are not street legal in all states. In many states they are limited to operate on roads with a speed limit below either 45 or 35 mph. I happen to live in Louisiana which has some of the strongest legal restrictions on such vehicles, where they are illegal for all practical purposes, only allowed on designated streets marked with signs by the local government which have a speed limit below 35 mph. In reality this means streets around golf courses in some towns and cities if the city wants to allow it.

p.s. here is a close up photo I had posted on the buggies gone wild web site of the rear wheel which also shows the aftermarket rear seat frame and foot plate on my RXV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rxvwh4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	146303  
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
well thanks thus far, we have decided to goth with the Garia 2+2 cart and are working with the manufacturer (together with the dealer) on the modification to the rear passenger seat base (floor plate) that will allow for either quick on/off removal or folding that will result in something like the set-up shown below but with keeping to US Fed/State Highway regulations which limit the overall width. In our case, we're not golfers hence we don't need the bag holder on the rear, just the floor plate which if we can modify it to be secured (down and folded up) using some pins then that would be the best solution for us.

Not sure how the owner of the set-up shown is getting by with it as shown (as it appears to be exceeding the width of the coach) but sure we'll get ours sorted out just may have to spend some money with a good machine shop or fabricator to modify the OEM base.

Name:	tark.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	146360
Old 12-10-2016, 05:30 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can see the LED brake lights I added to my HL. I also added another set underneath the lift so when the lift is empty and folded up, there's additional brake lighting as the lift partially obscures my coach set.

trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
You can see the LED brake lights I added to my HL. I also added another set underneath the lift so when the lift is empty and folded up, there's additional brake lighting as the lift partially obscures my coach set.

Real Nice. We used to ride too but had to give it up due to wife having some orthopedic issues.