Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Seriously Looking at a Bay Star 3113 - Opinions/Advice?

We're planning on going full time next year (Jan/Feb-ish) after our apartment lease is up. We plan to eventually spend much of our time boondocking. We don't want/can't afford a DP. We are 90% sure we want a new coach for several reasons. We are aware that many consider both those desires heresy

We're seriously interested in Newmar and specifically the Bay Star 3113. We've yet to see one in person but we're planning to in the next month or so. On paper, we really like the Bay Star (fits our budget, we want a smaller MH). I'm not sure I've actually seen anyone bad mouth the company either.

Considering all of that, what say you? I know not everyone is keen on living full time in a 31 foot MH but we are. What are your experiences with Bay Star, the 3113 or Newmar in general. How about boondocking? I'm reading through the stickies but anything you can add would be awesome. Have you ordered one? Dealer recommendations on the west coast? What kind of discount from MSRP is typical (please say 30% ) As the title says, opinions and/or advice is welcome.

And thanks for indulging us.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
We really wanted a bay star but unfortunately it was a little over our budget. Although we probably would of spent the extra money had it checked all our boxes. We wanted the outdoor TV, and outdoor kitchen which the bay star line didn't have.

We were really impressed when we went and looked at them. Do yourself a favor and hit up youtube and watch the newmar factory tours I think you will be impressed. Overall we thought it was a great coach, but we weren't willing to go over our budget and not get everything we wanted.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you haven't already, search this forum for 3113. You will find several threads that may help while you wait for more specific answers. We have a 3113 on order that should be here in about 3 weeks. We were able to find a dealer with the 3113, 3009, and 3124 to look at and picked the 3124 because of the TV position and the larger bathroom. Once you find one, spend some time in it and figure out where your things will be stored and how you will use it.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #4

Hi Dan,

We just purchased a 3113 last Friday. We are coming from a 5th wheel. My wife and I did a lot of research and looking. We wanted something smaller with a limit of about 30ft to make it easier for our stile of camping (State Parks, usually with limited facilities), but we also wanted to keep our options open for longer trips.

We looked at Class C's, even looked hard at the Winnebago View on the MB chassis until we found out how little weight they could haul. Most of the C's were also too low to the ground for our needs. Enter our 1st look at Class A. I would love a diesel, but you have to go bigger and spend a lot more as you know.

Saw the 3113 online at a dealer close to us, and went down last Friday for a look and test drive (as indicated, this was the 1st A I have driven). All I have to say is wow. The Newmar fit and finish is better than anything we have seen, and the price was actually less than the View we were looking at.

Now you start considering the 75gal of FW, large G&B tanks, great storage, 5k towing capability, and the haul capability. After buying ours I took it across the street, filled it up with gas and weighed it on the certified scales with full LP tank and me in it (230# ), and it came out at 19200. With a GVWR of 22000, we'll you do the math, plenty of carry for my needs.

The king bed is an added plus. We have the full size sleeper couch as well as the drop down bunk. I recommend the 2 AC/HP units if nothing else for resell later down the road. The drive home 75mi went fine. It handled well for being basically empty. This model also allows you access to everything when closed up (bed, kitchen, bathroom). Ours does have the outdoor TV (which is an option I don't need, but it's there).

Did I mention how nice the Newmar build quality is Again wow!!! Very impressed. Hope this helps. Be glad to try and answer any other questions you might have.

Terry
Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

We just picked up our 3124 last week and love it. There are a couple of what I would consider to be "design flaws" but I would agree with others that the build quality is second to none. I would also say that if you are going to be a full-timer that you seriously consider a sway bar in the rear and a steering stabilizer (a little over 1K for parts) as the ride is very "loose" in windy conditions and on busy highways with lots of trucks passing by.

It is really a beautiful coach and if you can get it at 30K off MSRP then you did better than us

Good luck with your search!
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, Dan.
BAY STAT's are a popular coach on this forum you will have a lot of company.
Here is a link to links to brochures, owners guides and TSB's and recalls if you decide on a new or used coach in Newmar line up.
All the links below in my signature have links to others for your to be Newmar.
In the BS Section of QT's # 3 you will find a BAY STAR Section of MODs and problem solving.
Good luck in your pursuit and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedaliaterry View Post
Hi Dan,

We just purchased a 3113 last Friday. We are coming from a 5th wheel. My wife and I did a lot of research and looking. We wanted something smaller with a limit of about 30ft to make it easier for our stile of camping (State Parks, usually with limited facilities), but we also wanted to keep our options open for longer trips.

We looked at Class C's, even looked hard at the Winnebago View on the MB chassis until we found out how little weight they could haul. Most of the C's were also too low to the ground for our needs. Enter our 1st look at Class A. I would love a diesel, but you have to go bigger and spend a lot more as you know.

Saw the 3113 online at a dealer close to us, and went down last Friday for a look and test drive (as indicated, this was the 1st A I have driven). All I have to say is wow. The Newmar fit and finish is better than anything we have seen, and the price was actually less than the View we were looking at.

Now you start considering the 75gal of FW, large G&B tanks, great storage, 5k towing capability, and the haul capability. After buying ours I took it across the street, filled it up with gas and weighed it on the certified scales with full LP tank and me in it (230# ), and it came out at 19200. With a GVWR of 22000, we'll you do the math, plenty of carry for my needs.

The king bed is an added plus. We have the full size sleeper couch as well as the drop down bunk. I recommend the 2 AC/HP units if nothing else for resell later down the road. The drive home 75mi went fine. It handled well for being basically empty. This model also allows you access to everything when closed up (bed, kitchen, bathroom). Ours does have the outdoor TV (which is an option I don't need, but it's there).

Did I mention how nice the Newmar build quality is Again wow!!! Very impressed. Hope this helps. Be glad to try and answer any other questions you might have.

Terry
Thanks! That's an awesome response and honestly what we expected to hear. We also took a look at the Sprinter MH's but as you said, the carrying and tow capacity is just too low. We don't plan to take much stuff with us but still, I don't want to be on the bleeding edge of CCC.

We're actually looking to order so we don't end up with a bunch of options we don't want or need. The 50A service, dual AC, inverter, solar prep, etc. is good stuff but outside TV, overcab bunk, etc. is just wasted money and weight for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
We just picked up our 3124 last week and love it. There are a couple of what I would consider to be "design flaws" but I would agree with others that the build quality is second to none. I would also say that if you are going to be a full-timer that you seriously consider a sway bar in the rear and a steering stabilizer (a little over 1K for parts) as the ride is very "loose" in windy conditions and on busy highways with lots of trucks passing by.

It is really a beautiful coach and if you can get it at 30K off MSRP then you did better than us

Good luck with your search!
Not saying those steering and handling upgrades are not a good idea but I see us driving less than your typical weekend camper. We plan to sit a spell, explore an area in the Jeep and move a bit down the road to do it all over again. But still, better handling isn't a bad thing and I can start bolting parts to my MH instead of my Jeep.

BTW, what "design flaws" do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3515905]Welcome to the forum, Dan.
BAY STAT's are a popular coach on this forum you will have a lot of company.
Here [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/technical-service-bulletins-recalls-1999-to-2017-trailers-5thw-chassis-and-coach-313846.html
is a link [/URL][/B]to links to brochures, owners guides and TSB's and recalls if you decide on a new or used coach in Newmar line up.
All the links below in my signature have links to others for your to be Newmar.
In the BS Section of QT's # 3 you will find a BAY STAR Section of MODs and problem solving.
Good luck in your pursuit and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
Been rooting around in there already but thanks for the links. Lot's of good stuff. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised by all the resources.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #8

BTW, what "design flaws" do you mean?

Yes, I guess I should have been more clear about that

They are minor, but nevertheless I hope they fix them on future models..

1) The cup holder on the passenger side is directly below the right side view convex mirror so if there is a cup on the larger side in there the driver basically can't see the mirror

2) The cup holders in the front are "tapered" at the bottom so while the top will hold a larger cup, when it gets to the bottom it doesn't fit.

3) The biggest one, which still surprises me, is when the full wall slide on the drivers side is in, you cannot fully move the drivers seat back - this is a huge issue if you have a driver on the larger side. Even with the seat about halfway back the seat will still rub the wall so we have to put a towel in there..

4) The plugs in the bedroom in the back are located on the floor UNDER the bed, rather than say, under the side tables like I see on more expensive models. Really makes no sense to me. '

Again, these are basically minor (with the exception of #3 as noted above). All coaches have their little flaws and quirks, and we would not hesitate to buy again. We just thought we would put this out there for prospective buyers..
Old 03-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #9

#3. If this is a problem the fix is posted on this forum. Don't let that slow you down.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #10

Would you be so kind as to post the link to the fix to #3? I have searched to no avail..

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seriously Looking at a Bay Star 3113 - Opinions/Advice?

Here it is:

The thread starts out with a Bay Star Sport 2903, but the solutions apply to other models.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315217

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
3) The biggest one, which still surprises me, is when the full wall slide on the drivers side is in, you cannot fully move the drivers seat back - this is a huge issue if you have a driver on the larger side. Even with the seat about halfway back the seat will still rub the wall so we have to put a towel in there..

4) The plugs in the bedroom in the back are located on the floor UNDER the bed, rather than say, under the side tables like I see on more expensive models. Really makes no sense to me.
The plugs aren't a big deal. We have power strips anyway since our apartment's outlets are behind our night stands. The iPads go with us when we travel along with the chargers so the strips make it easier to get at them. We'd probably do the same but since in the RV, we would always be "traveling" we may never remove the chargers anyway.

The seat is a problem. Glad to see there is a fix. I've seen the issue mentioned on several other coaches we've looked at so it's not a deal killer. I get the need to maximize the available space but we're talking inches, not feet. Then again, we plan to spend more time living in our coach than driving it so it's not the end of the world.

Maybe I'll make the wife drive. She drove our old 2005 Dodge Ram Quadcab, long bed diesel. That thing's 2/3rds the length of the 3113

I've got a few things I've seen that I don't like but they are all pretty minor too. There's always a compromise when you try to fit a lot of feature into a small coach. For instance, the slide under the awning. I'd prefer that area was clear but it's not horrible and someone suggested somewhere that you can bring the slide in if you're out there and want the "patio" clear.

The inverter option is only 1000w and doesn't power 110v outlets where I'd want them. But that's fixable.

The dining slide doesn't have a slide topper awning, presumably because it's under the big awning. Again, not the end of the world.

Every coach we've looked at has design issues and we've come the conclusion that there is no perfect coach. Do the good things outweigh the bad is the question. We've looked at the Georgetown 5 Series 31L. It's right at our length limit of 35 ft, the gray tank is small, it's on the 20500 chassis so the CCC is a bit wimpy and some details are kind of cheap. But it's a nice coach with a great floor plan.

Same with the Bay Star. A lot to like with a few annoying but fixable little things. But I'm thinking the fact it's a Newmar is a huge plus. Better coach, better material, better build, better details, etc. Might not be perfect but when it's all said and done, a few hours of mild discomfort now and then while driving or having to rewire some outlets is totally worth the overall boost in quality in what is going to be our home for the foreseeable future.

That's what I'm thinking anyway. Still waiting for someone to talk me out if it
Old 03-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #13

We have an 3103, same floor plan as the 3113 except we are missing a slide. We love our floor plan, but would love the addition of the 3rd slide even more. It really opens the living area. I'd say go for it. While I like the side opening doors under the slides on the 3113, ours lift, I would prefer the water tank compartment to have kept the lifting door. Since this door opens all the way up, no slide interference. I used this bay to install an outside TV. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/bays...tv-269882.html I think the side opening door will restrict the viewing angle of the TV. Other than the TV install there's very little usable space in this compartment.
A free upgrade that I would highly recommend, to anyone with a class A on the Ford F53 chassis, the Free Suspension Upgrade, here's a long post: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html
Or better yet a short YouTube:
Good luck on your new RV we think you made a great choice.
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpytoo View Post
Good luck on your new RV we think you made a great choice.
We're close. We're planning a trip to go see a 3113 in the next week or so. Haven't really found any deal killers. In fact, the more I look at Newmar, the more there is to like. I think we're still considering other coaches just because we don't have to make a decision yet. I have trouble seeing any advantage to them.

Tags
advice