Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 11:36 PM   #1

Serpentine belt number confusion

I've called both Cummins and Freightliner CS phone numbers and received two different belt part numbers for my 6.7 360hp engine. My local FL dealer states the two numbers are for different belt lengths. The part numbers I received are 5264021 from FL and 3289864 from Cummins. So who to believe? Can other Ventana 2017 (early build) owners provide any clues?
capnqball is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following as I have the same question. I have a 3709 Ventana.
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I would believe Freightliner as Cummins ships a motor without accessories like an AC compressor. I surprised that Cummins even gave you a belt number. The first time my belt broke on my ISL I was on the road and desperate for a part number. Cummins was my first call and they said call Freightliner. Freightliner was able to give me the correct part number and email me a routing diagram.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Agreed, Freighter built the system and will have the part. That is where I get all my part. It is also possible that both are the same and each company has their own part number system.
While I am new to diesel, everyone seems to recommend that you carry one with you. Freightliner dealers do not always have the part. They carry more truck parts which do not have Cummins engines.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
DEFINITELY a Freightliner part. Went through this problem after shredding 3 belts after 7-800 miles. Cummins ships with chassis then all bolt ons are made with chassis manufacturer.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #6

Belt

Freightliner supplies accessories such as the air conditioner compressor. The reason I know is ours had 4k miles on it and the compressor locked up and sent pieces throughout the system.
Freightliner installs the belts.
As with other things concerning RVs, knowing the right people to call makes a difference.
When I was getting ready for the first oil change, I called Freightliner and asked what brand of oil came in the engine. Was told Rotella.
Called Cummins and was told the engine had Valvoline Blue unless the chassis manufacturer or RV builder changed it.
I drained the oil and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs. They verified it was Valvoline.
I know either oil will work. But I thought I would use what came in the engine originally. Asking the right person can be important to some.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ran into this very problem with our damon this year. cummins iand f/l had different numbers and neither belt worked.

finally i took my current belt to o riellies and they measured it, then ordered 3 belts one size smaller, the measured size and on size bigger.

huge help

now i have the right belt gates number

your bus is a 2017, you might be able to read the number on the current belt.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 PM   #8

I want to thank all that has replied. I'm going to call Gaffney Monday to get some, hopefully, authentication on the FL part number; then call Newmar to see what response they have.

The thought of looking at the belt itself never crossed my mind. Will try that.

Thanks again all. Stay well.
capnqball is online now   Reply With Quote