Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

setting up Direct TV

Ok, my next question, as I get the RV ready for travel. I took out my two Direct TV boxes out of the old motorhome to hook them up in the Dutch Star. The Dutch Star only has HDMI inputs. The two boxes do not have HDMI outputs. I called Direct TV and they have new boxes with HDMI, but need to know which boxes I need. Well, I need to know which boxes I need!! I have the Winegard Roadtrip mission, in motion dish on the roof. It says not to use SWM, which means nothing to me. Can someone advise me what to ask Direct TV to send me? I need one for the front 3 TV's and one for the bedroom TV. There is one coax cable that connects to each box. Please advise. Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

Hey MNBob,

Wish I could tell you the answer. Can not.

I went thru the same thing with Direct TV except I told them if they want me to buy their service, then send someone out to my RV to install what I need to work. They did and everything works great.

Ma Snart
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

I called yesterday, and they sent out a tech today. He arrives and says he doesn't install in RV's. I told him I was instructed to have the RV at my home. He refused, and left. I called Direct TV again, and they said someone would call me within one hour. That was four hours with me requesting another call back two hours ago. Great customer service! Since they don't seem to understand what I need, I was hoping some one here could inform me, so I can just tell them to send me...... I know many folks here have the answer. I will just continue to wait. I seem to be getting good at that!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

That is lousy service indeed.

My local dierct TV guys didn't bat an eye about working on the RV. Bet the higher ups at Direct TV would be upset if they heard how one of their service guys treated a paying customer.

Sorry I could not help more...

Ma Snart
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

Has your new coach had Direct TX before if not you need to go on the roof and change the code in side the dome And the Direct TV guy needs to down load some thing to box
REB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

Do you have direct tv in your house? If yes, you can move the satellite box out to the coach when you travel otherwise you have to rent additional boxes for the Rv. Either way, you need a satellite box with a port for your direct tv card. The card identifies you to the satellite and allows you to use the system. Newer home installs typically have a master receiver with the card only. All other boxes are slaved (piggy back of the master) for the satellite confirmation. Just upgraded our house to satellite in Jan 2013. All boxes have an HDMI output. Had to have bedroom box changed out to a stand alone box (separate ID card) so we can move it to the Rv when travelling. Box is very small and has only 3 connections. We don't pay for permanent boxes in our Rv. Easy to move and install.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

I have had direct tv for 15 plus years. I also have two boxes that I have always just left in the RV. The new Dutch Star has the dish already set to Direct Tv. My current 2 boxes have coax, or RGA outputs and I need HDMI outputs. HDMI is the only input that the Dutch Star has for the satellite. Again, direct tv did not call me back. Tomorrow, I hope I have some patience left when I call them again!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

What a pain!! seems like the DW is always on the phone with them getting something reset so we can get a signal and that's on both the stationary HD unit and the in motion unit, and has occurred across several coaches. As an FYI, if someone is taking factory delivery, the folks at Newmar will get everything set up for you as part of the CPU, they just ask that you ship them the boxes a couple of weeks before you pick up.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #9

It appears to me that the 2 DirecTV boxes you currently have been using are older analog boxes -- Coax / RCA outputs

Your Dutch Star is set up for DirecTV HD Service-- HDMI Inputs

You need to upgrade your DirecTV Service to HD -- Different Receiver / Satellite Dish for your S&B

If you only want the HD Receiver for the Dutch Star, I think you can get it if you ask -- You will need to pay the extra $$ per month for the HD Service as well as the one time cost of the HD Receiver

Without upgrading the S&B Satellite Dish, you won't be able to use the HD Receiver at home

You can check the prices on DirecTV's website -- It is fairly easy to navigate to find the info

When you talk to them, make sure you emphasize your 15+ years of being a customer -- They may give you a reduced price for the HD Receiver

Also, they may or may not give you the option of a standard receiver -- No DVR -- Obviously the DVR Receiver is more cost -- Your decision to make

Good Luck with Customer Service
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It does sound pretty convoluted. But, it looks like your in motion dish will only handle DirecTv standard definition... which is no surprise since no in motion dish will handle DirecTv HD.

It sounds as though you already have two older DirecTv receivers but they can't provide the HDMI feed to the distribution center on your new coach. So, you need DirecTv HD receivers but not the HD programming. The SD receivers don't have HDMI outputs even now.

I'm thinking you need to at least get one or more of these DIRECTV HD & 3D Receiver - 1080i HD 3D Box - DIRECTV ... do you plan to use one or two sat receivers in your new coach? Sounds like you have a distribution center that routes HDMI throughout your coach so you could use a single receiver to feed all TVs but you couldn't watch different programs on different sets at the same time.

Naturally, you can decide to go the DVR route too but whatever route you take, you'll have to tell them that you cannot accommodate SWM so they'll provide you with "B Band Converters" to attach to your coax inputs.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfi4 View Post
It appears to me that the 2 DirecTV boxes you currently have been using are older analog boxes -- Coax / RCA outputs

Your Dutch Star is set up for DirecTV HD Service-- HDMI Inputs

You need to upgrade your DirecTV Service to HD -- Different Receiver / Satellite Dish for your S&B

Good Luck with Customer Service
But he doesn't have a dish which can handle DirecTv HD so how can his Dutch Star be set up for DirecTv HD Service?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #12

I think that is correct. I need (1) High Def, DVR for the two front tv's (and the outside tv) and (1) High Def non dvr, non SWM for the bedroom TV. Then we can have two different channels on in the coach and also have the ability to record on the front tv. And I believe that since we only have one coax input from the dish, we can not watch one channel, while recording another channel. I understand that I will not be receiving HD.

I have been upgraded on the S&B already and have two HD, DVR in the house, but have three of the other old boxes for various rooms, plus I had the two old style boxes that were in the old RV that we traded.

I think I have it figured out, as stated above. If that is not correct, please correct me as I will be talking to a supervisor from Direct TV tomorrow (or at least that is what they promised tonight!).
Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #13

I just caught that looking at Winegard's website -- The Winegard Roadtrip Mission is a standard definition antenna, not HD

The OP indicated HDMI which I mistook as the connection from the Mission Antenna -- Probably is actually the hookup for his TV

MNBob -- Does your TV have a coax or an RCA input choice on the back???

Sometimes the RCA Inputs are the same as the newer Component Type Inputs -- They may use the same connection points -- If you have the owners manual for the TV it should explain the various input options for you

Also, you stated HDMI Input in your Dutch Star -- Is this a connection point provided by Newmar for the TV inside a cabinet? Newmar may not have wired all TV input options for ease of use

If there are actually more inputs to the TV for your use, you may not need to purchase anything else -- You would just need to access the rear of the TV

Check out what you have available...

Good Luck & let us know what you find
Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #14

Yes, above the drivers seat, Newmar has provide the one connection point, which is HDMI. If I only had to access the front tv, then I would simply bypass using that connection and run the coax to the tv directly. However, the connection point runs to the front TV, the outside TV and the Tv above the fire place. I went to Radio Shack to see if there was a converter from HDMI to coax or RCA, but no luck.