Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Sewer drainage with 1 1/2 baths

Looking at my first Newmar (Dutch Star) and seem to run into endless questions. You guys are great being so patient answering all my questions. Spending this much money I don't want to end up saying "Oh, I didn't know it did that" or "Oh, I should have added/deleted that feature".

Todays question: Is there any concern with how the sewer line drains both bath rooms since the bath rooms seem to be on the opposite side of the coach (3736) from the sewer drain valves. My current Itasca has the drain valves/tank immediately under the stool and have never had any problems with slow/stopped up drain lines in the 11 years we've owned this coach. The main commode is electric and the 1/2 bath commode is peddle operated. Not sure how all this works. Anyone owning a coach with 1 1/2 baths have any comments, pro/con, on the 1 1/2 bath workings?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The rear toilet is usually a macerator or pressure pumped unit, or at least in the DSDP's we've looked and a friends Essex. The mid one is over the tanks although no guaranty of that either. Depends on the layout of the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
While I don't have a DS we do have an electric macerator toilet since the toilet does not sit directly over the black tank. This toilet uses more water and normal flushing strategies will fill the tank in 2 days. I spoke to another irv2 member with a new bath and a half DS at the national rally and he confirmed the rapid filling of the tank. Maybe a concern if you plan to boondock. If we are very careful with flushing while not on full hook ups, we can stretch to about 4 days.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #4

Yes, with a electric macerator moving the sewage into the holding tank you will end up using 100% more water than with a straight down dump. But unless you want to go back a few years and get a older non-slide Winnabago, you will have to make compromises.
When dry camping for more than 2 days, I must monitor it carefully and use the "if it's yellow let it mellow" routine or I run out of both water and sewer capacity. Water I can prolong with extra 10 gal or with using sink water, shower water to prolong my fresh water. When the black tank gets full, it will shut down the macerator function. BINGO.

With a bath & 1/2, and especially with GUESTS you will need to watch everyones flushing habits. When possible, I use the local outhouse. No, I don't make the wife do it. NOT that she even would.

I personally never considered a bath & 1/2 because of the total sq.ft dedicated to just potty. I could make it work with one. ha ha
Hookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
While I don't have a DS we do have an electric macerator toilet since the toilet does not sit directly over the black tank. This toilet uses more water and normal flushing strategies will fill the tank in 2 days. I spoke to another irv2 member with a new bath and a half DS at the national rally and he confirmed the rapid filling of the tank. Maybe a concern if you plan to boondock. If we are very careful with flushing while not on full hook ups, we can stretch to about 4 days.
Yep, our friend with the Essex says they can go 2 days before the tank is full although he did figure out that there were two settings on the back toilet. Need to find out how that went since he's back in town now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

Both our toilets are macerator toilets, no problem with anything being plugged.

We do dump twice a week instead of once.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Both our toilets are macerator toilets, no problem with anything being plugged.

We do dump twice a week instead of once.
X2

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #8

On your 3736, anytime you're boo docking, limit your toilet use to the 1/2 bath, and your water consumption will be the same as with your old coach. However, move up to a 40' and both toilets are macerators. I wish I had a manual toilet!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
On your 3736, anytime you're boo docking, limit your toilet use to the 1/2 bath, and your water consumption will be the same as with your old coach. However, move up to a 40' and both toilets are macerators. I wish I had a manual toilet!
Can you order the manual toilet in the new 40 ft DutchStar?
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post

Different strokes for different folks. My last coach (Ventana) had 2 maceraters, my current coach has a macerator in the rear and a push-button dometic midship. I really like the macerator and could do without the trap door into the poo tank. The extra water usage does not affect me in the least as we do little dry camping. Already contemplating how big a deal it would be to retrofit a macerator midship.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Different strokes for different folks. My last coach (Ventana) had 2 maceraters, my current coach has a macerator in the rear and a push-button dometic midship. I really like the macerator and could do without the trap door into the poo tank. The extra water usage does not affect me in the least as we do little dry camping. Already contemplating how big a deal it would be to retrofit a macerator midship.
I would certainly agree that the macerator toilet has the advantage of not having a 'trap door into the poo tank' as you noted. It does seem a bit more 'civilized' toilet. Also, it does a great job grinding up stuff so the holding tank drains quickly and easily. I use a clear fitting on the discharge line and what I see is mostly liquefied. So, the primary disadvantage is the higher water usage, more rapid filling of the tank, and certainly the complexity of the hardware. At nearly $1,300 for one of these, it is certainly an expensive poo trap .
Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #12

Along this same line of question, how many of you Newmar owners store your drain hose in the little 4" diameter hole Newmar has supplied for this? The one I looked at didn't seem to have enough room to store the hose right in the compartment where the dump valves are located. My current coach has one compartment specifically for the dump valves and hose so there is plenty of room to leave the hose connected and stored right where it is used.

This seems like a lot of extra work and mess to unhook the hose each time and place it in the hole which wouldn't have the space for the elbow we have on the drain end of the hose.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Along this same line of question, how many of you Newmar owners store your drain hose in the little 4" diameter hole Newmar has supplied for this? The one I looked at didn't seem to have enough room to store the hose right in the compartment where the dump valves are located. My current coach has one compartment specifically for the dump valves and hose so there is plenty of room to leave the hose connected and stored right where it is used.

This seems like a lot of extra work and mess to unhook the hose each time and place it in the hole which wouldn't have the space for the elbow we have on the drain end of the hose.
I have a Bay Star and do not use the storage area. I might be doing something wrong but I cap off both ends of the hose and mine will not fit in it. Mine also drains slow. I am going to put a camera up in my pipe and make sure there is no debris from the factory. I am curious how others drain also?
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a DS or DP but a Bounder with a Vacuflush system. Others express frustration but we find the Vacuflush works great for the 1 1/2 baths and water usage is acceptable. I understand there is sometimes a need to work on the vacuum pump. Apparently this system is widely used in marine so there is a lot of experience with them.