Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Sewer Hose Storage Compartment

Got some more sewer thoughts. Regarding the Newmar built-in storage tube....does anyone actually use this device? The opening is too small to allow passage of the typical bayonet end fittings, so how is this useful? There are to Press-to-fit hoses which might work, but I've never tried them. I'm looking for anyone who has made use of this device because, as i've found....storage is at a premium in these rigs.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I use the push on fittings with no problems however when dumping I stay at the sanitary bay just in case.

I also mounted under the rear of the coach a 8' 4" PVC pipe with end caps for my sewer hoses so they are not in sanitary bay with water hookups.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I keep our 20' extension in ours minus the bayonet (tabbed) end.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

I do use Newmars sewer hose storage tube. I have Blueline brand slip on fittings on all my hoses. I carry one hose in the storage tube that takes care of most hookups. I also carry two extra hoses and couplings in a plastic storage box for times when one hose won't reach the sewer hookup. I've never had any problems with the slip on connections coming apart under use. You just have to make sure you connect them tightly. When dumping the black tank I always stay by the shut off valve just in case. But I would do that with whatever kind of connections I was using.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Red, is there a max length that'll fit in that storage tube? My concern is if I use a short hose it might settle down far enough into the tube so as to make it unreachable.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A solution that several of the Hoots have used is to buy a 5 inch vinyl fence post sheathing and two "pyramid" caps at Lowes or Home Depot. I believe they come in 10 ft lengths. Cut it to appropriate length to mount across the coach- about 8ft or a few inches less- paint it black if you choose, and mount it across the bottom of the chassis just forward of the rear wheels. See pic below. Use a length of vinyl gutter inside the square piece as a slide-out tray. This will easily hold at least 20 ft of compressed Rhino hose, including the bayonet fittings. Secure one cap on the passenger side, and mount the other in a removable fashion on the street side for easy access during setup or departure. I believe FLSteve or one of the other Hoots has more comprehensive pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoseholder.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	58017  
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
slabman ... Here is how I did my sewer hose storage. There are lots more ideas and pictures from others on the forum as well. I do use the Newmar tube ... but only to carry a new "unused" spare hose.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/our-...ml#post1405153

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Red, is there a max length that'll fit in that storage tube? My concern is if I use a short hose it might settle down far enough into the tube so as to make it unreachable.
Ah, the old "I can't reach the hose" problem.. Did you know your RV came with a tool just for that purpose?

Yup, the long rod you call an Awning Hook works great for extending your reach into the hose storage.

I just got a Tethford Smart hose.. So far I'm very impressed with it.. The "look and feel" is very good.. Only complaint is I had one devil of a time putting the ends on for the first time.

HOWEVER, they come off real easy (Not by accident you have to lift latches to release them) They use cam-lock latches.

No leaks, seal well, positive latch to the bayonet connector and the outlet end works well as well.

I have to remove the outlet to put it in my fence post, but that's not a problem (Storage is an 8 foot long fence post, I forget if it's 5 or 6 inches, One end is capped (Screws hold cap on) and the other end is modified a bit, I cut about 2 inchs off the top, and one inch off the sides and cut the corners off (to the same depth) on the bottom and sides, (So the sides form trapizoids)

Drawing of side
. ______
/_______\

Drawing of bottom
. ________
/____0____\

The open end I hinged the cap at the top, cut a slot in the bottom

When the lid is closed the bottom "Tab" sticks out through the slot and a common slide latch drops through the hole to keep it closed. you could also padlock if you wished.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

X2 on FlSteve's creation. I hung 2 of those on my coach, 1 for a folding ladder and 1 for the waste hose. I used the Essex's house storage for the macerator hose. The only modification I made (and I only did this to one before I got the idea) is I used a piece of 2 inch vinyl hose, which I split and wrapped around the cross member under the house clamp.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, guys. You're cracking me up. I assume we are all driving similar zillion dollar overpriced toys? So I'm seeing a picture of what this might look like for me. A common old vinyl fence post with a sewer hose hanging out and dragging on the ground, mounted under my coach, while pulling a Blue Tote, heading to the nearest dump point (which is probably closed for budgetary reasons!!!!). Imagine the looks I'll get from all those towables with ladders hanging off the rear and an antenna mounted above.
Classy or what? :-)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #11

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. The little black rectangles in front of the rear wheels are the fence posts painted black

Name:	ForumRunner_20140312_093606.png
Views:	468
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	58026
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20140312_093627.png
Views:	269
Size:	700.7 KB
ID:	58027  
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I found that about 8 Kilo's of cocaine fit in there and no one looks....it helps to pay for fuel.

We have been using a SaniCon for years and don't even carry a 3" sewer hose because it just took up room. I'll probably now buy 20' of 3" hose sewer hose and store it in the tube, keeping it for an emergency. I also carry an extra SaniCon hose (extension) that I will store inside the 3" hose and save some more interior storage space.

I just had an idea....why not connect a water supply to the end of the hose storage tube and place a 100' "As Seen on TV" collapsing hose in the tube and just pull it out when needed to rinse off the coach or wash down the campground.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
LOL! Don, sounds like an old DEA idea to me....all those guys think alike.

I might not need that collapsing hose idea. Mine came with a hot water faucet up front next to the generator. Nice hot water to rinse off those love bugs...good idea? Now, if I can just fit that power washer in between the gen and frt. cap I'll really have it made.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Slabman.... I've never measured the length of the tube to see how long a hose it would hold. I'm only putting a 10' hose in it. With that length it has never settled down to a point that I couldn't reach in and get it.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote