Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Sewer System

Think the biggest and most concerning issue I have with this Essex is the sewer system. I didn't realize (nor did the salesman) this one has TWO macerator toilets. That means it uses a LOT of water irrespective of whether you have solids or liquids only to dispose of. Couple that with a measly 45gallon black tank and a sensor that will shut the toilets down when the tank is only 70%full and I have an unworkable situation when not hooked up to a sewer. That means about two days' use before needing to dump! Who can operate on that?

I hope to call Dometic and see if there's a way to reduce water consumption in some instances and I think I can defeat the 70%full limitation, but feel this is an example of an Essex maybe (:-) wanting to be a Prevost, taking a lot of flexibility out of the owners' hands. I have to blame myself for not initially researching this better, but we do love this coach. We just want to be able to function with it in a more "normal" lifestyle. When we go back "home" and stay in our non-sewered Corps campground, we'll be moving the coach to dump every other day. When hooked up to a sewer I'll be out there dumping every other day! Not sure there'll be time for anything else in the way of life's pleasures. LOL!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have two macerating toilets and go about 3 days with 6 people (4 kids) between sewer dumps.

I had to adjust the toilet to the water pressure, and relocate my sensors to 80% warning and 90% full. All said we actually prefer this toilet to the one we had in out 2008 discovery (gravity with wand).

I think the difference is we have the thetford and not the dometic.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We too have the Thetford Tecma. With the ability to adjust the water level and using the small flush the two of us can go about 5 days. Ours goes "red" at 70% but you can override this by holding the flush button for Six Seconds.

The big benefit for RV designers is not having to design the floor plan with a toilet directly over the black tank. But it is true that with the old toilets we could go up to 10 days w/o dumping.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your older tanks were mostly 50-55 gal tanks now 45 gal or less.
You also have two toilets feeding into a 45 in some cases.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Think the biggest and most concerning issue I have with this Essex is the sewer system. I didn't realize (nor did the salesman) this one has TWO macerator toilets. That means it uses a LOT of water irrespective of whether you have solids or liquids only to dispose of. Couple that with a measly 45gallon black tank and a sensor that will shut the toilets down when the tank is only 70%full and I have an unworkable situation when not hooked up to a sewer. That means about two days' use before needing to dump! Who can operate on that?

I hope to call Dometic and see if there's a way to reduce water consumption in some instances and I think I can defeat the 70%full limitation, but feel this is an example of an Essex maybe (:-) wanting to be a Prevost, taking a lot of flexibility out of the owners' hands. I have to blame myself for not initially researching this better, but we do love this coach. We just want to be able to function with it in a more "normal" lifestyle. When we go back "home" and stay in our non-sewered Corps campground, we'll be moving the coach to dump every other day. When hooked up to a sewer I'll be out there dumping every other day! Not sure there'll be time for anything else in the way of life's pleasures. LOL!
There are two water flush settings. I think ours are Thetford.

Then we got the King Aire I was hoping for more time between fill and dump (bigger tanks than the Cornerstone) but with the two macerators that didn't happen.

Most Prevost converters combine the grey and black....just a thought. Just add a valve before the outside macerator.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, that is on my mind, although I need to check on vertical positioning of each tank. If they are of same elevation it msy not work as well. Also, the smaller discharge line from the gray might impede black effluent flow when coming out, although after macerating, it probably will not pose much of an issue. Then it would require defeating the 70%cutoff feature on each toilet. Finally, one would really have to engage in the topic of "fluid or effluent management" to ensure nothing over flows.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
The Techma, as used on 2011/12 models appears to be a better unit operationally. Having the two buttons allows one to pick which flush....full or partial in a simple process. My Dometic toilet requires that one re-set the flush, either short or long. But to think one has to reset the flush each time needs change is just too impractical in my mind. I did learn today the two types of flush (0.45 or o.85 gal/flush) are simply based on a timed flow into the bowl. Trouble is...even on the short flush setting mine delivers 4liters ( just over a gallon) per flush whereas the published rate is .45 gal. So flush a toilet 9 times a day per person results in a need to dump every other day. Not good.