Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Sewer valve won't close completely

Our sewer valve won't push all the way in to close off the black water holding tank. The cap prevents leakage while it is on but water from holding tank slowly leaks into the cap. Couldn't find any paperwork to take apart this part of the sewer line to remove and replace valve or see if something stuck in the groove.

Any help would be appreciated.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On ours (Older RV) I just fill and flush the toilet 3-4 times before trying to close the valve. I am thinking that will "send downstream" any object that may prevent (or make more difficult) valve closure.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
...Our sewer valve won't push all the way in to close off the black water holding tank. The cap prevents leakage while it is on but water from holding tank slowly leaks into the cap.... Any help would be appreciated.
Could be something broken in the valve assembly-- requiring replacement-- but assume first that you've got some paper jammed in the seating groove. I've had this happen a couple of times. Hook up a hose to your black tank flush. Let 5 or 10 gallons build up (approx. 5 gal/min), and then open the valve. Perhaps the rush will clear the piece. Or, while a continuous flow is running down and out the drain, exercise the valve back and forth. This has worked for me. If the valve needs replacement, my sense from visual inspection is that the replacement would not be difficult.

The y-assembly where the black drain and gray drain join can be rotated up and down a bit. If you rotate it upward, this may help to minimize or eliminate any overflow of accumulated leakage when you remove the end cap.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

As suggested, try to ensure nothing like excessive paper or debris is inside the rubber groove on the gate valve itself. If you're sure it's clear and it's still leaking then just replace the gate valve.. they're easy to do as each half simply unbolts.. if you have good access, 15-20 minute job.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
When I had this problem I was surprised how easily the problem was solved by spraying the valve shaft with a silicone spray (or WD40).

You might like to try that first since it is the easiest method.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
When I had this problem I was surprised how easily the problem was solved by spraying the valve shaft with a silicone spray (or WD40).

You might like to try that first since it is the easiest method.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that. I just sprayed mine.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
. if you have good access, 15-20 minute job.
That is the key. I had to redo my black water valve and found the gray water had to come out as well to get the needed room to reassemble it. Thais after dropping the under belly to get to the valves.

My advice is to get complete new valves with seals. Some times the seal is not the problem. Outs was leaking back and out the stem as well as not holding the black water. There was a lot of grit and junk left in the tank by the previous owner not using and flushing the tank properly.

In any case, it was closer to a 90 minute job.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is a video showing how to replace a gate valve.
I hold the rubber seals to the new gate valve with plumber's grease when I do it.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Drain Valve

As usual, I received the help I needed to go ahead with the sewer drain valve repair from all of you. Guess everyone has had this problem sooner or later if they keep their MoHo that long. Thanks to all of you. It isn't as hard as we first thought. Think the thought was worse than the job.
We cleaned both tanks and since we had cleaned the black water tank at our last stop and had chemicals in it, it wasn't that gross to drain. We had a sewer tap placed near our drive so we could use it for the MoHo but there was only about 3 gal of water so we just dumped the bucket of drained water down the sewer. We rinsed it twice till all ran clear. Removed the bolts holding the black water valve in place and it was actually broken. Since we have to replace it, we decided your good advice to go ahead and replace the grey water valve made lots of sense. Really don't want to do this again. We have ordered both valves from Amazon at a good price of $25 including tax and shipping. Should be here and ready to install by Thursday.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the quick responses I always get on this forum.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
Since we have to replace it, we decided your good advice to go ahead and replace the grey water valve made lots of sense.
You may want to keep the old gray valve as a spare. You never know where you'll be when you'll have a problem.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote