Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Shake Out trip Blues....Dash Air Now !!

Jeez, went up to the factory to take my 3 mos old coach for warranty and axle swap out (at Freightliner) and to tour around up and back. Finally got home after a month on the road. Had my Axle changed out to the heavier axle a week ago. Not that I think its related, but the dash air started the next day to go off for about a second or two, then back on. Did this about 5 6 times in an hour. Now a week later, got within 20 miles of home and KAPUT...its out completely. Checked a couple of fuses on the DS fuse box but nothing suspicious. Anyone have any ideas!!

Called Newmar tech support, they put it on FL. Called FL and they indicated they only put the compressor on and Newmar does the rest......
I mean, I just did the drive up there....not going back anytime soon and my local (closest dealer a mile a way is a Joke)
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear this Sal. Hope you can get it remedied soon. It seems the dash air on all of these FL coaches are questionable anyway. Mine works, but I think it could be much colder (heard this elsewhere too). In this recent heat, I have to run it wide open on max A/C to have adequate comfort, (it should be blowing ice at that setting INHO). Also with that the noise level is way up so I drown it out with the radio.

Good luck for an easy quick fix. Keep us posted!

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Sal".....Mine recently quit blowing cold. I took it into the shop while having some warranty work done and it was down 1.3 pounds of Freon. The system only holds 3.0 pounds. They filled the system and still no cold. They couldn't finish the work that day and I took the coach home. They ordered a new evaporator and dryer.

While cleaning under the front hood, I saw two wires going to the pressure switch, on the high pressure side, (upper left corner) seemed like they were not pushed on all the way (two spade clips). I pushed them on and didn't think anymore about it.

About two weeks later I returned the coach to the shop to have the fan drive gear box replaced and the A/C work completed. On the way there, the A/C started blowing cold (37 degrees).

I later had a chance to speak with WagonmasterII. Apparently, he also had A/C issues and found his system down by more than a pound of Freon.

On both coaches, no leaks were found. I mentioned to the Freightliner service manager, where my coach was being repaired, that Freightliner must be getting sloppy about filling the systems. He said the coaches are delivered with the systems empty and Newmar fills them after assembly. I don't know if this is true, but it seems like someone is missing the mark on filling these systems up.

When a system is low on Freon, it can shut down and sometimes start back up. The fan will run, but they will quit blowing cold.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:58 AM   #4

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. When our coach was new, the dash air would come on and go off frequently. Fans, compressor and all.

We traced the problem to a loose ground wire at the front of the chassis. Tightened that up and all our problems were solved.

I hope it is that simple for you.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetobite View Post
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. When our coach was new, the dash air would come on and go off frequently. Fans, compressor and all.

We traced the problem to a loose ground wire at the front of the chassis. Tightened that up and all our problems were solved.

I hope it is that simple for you.
Can you provide a little more detail on where I would see the ground wire.
We have a 16 Dutch Star....? Thanks
Old 07-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Sal".....Mine recently quit blowing cold. I took it into the shop while having some warranty work done and it was down 1.3 pounds of Freon. The system only holds 3.0 pounds. They filled the system and still no cold. They couldn't finish the work that day and I took the coach home. They ordered a new evaporator and dryer.

While cleaning under the front hood, I saw two wires going to the pressure switch, on the high pressure side, (upper left corner) seemed like they were not pushed on all the way (two spade clips). I pushed them on and didn't think anymore about it.

About two weeks later I returned the coach to the shop to have the fan drive gear box replaced and the A/C work completed. On the way there, the A/C started blowing cold (37 degrees).

I later had a chance to speak with WagonmasterII. Apparently, he also had A/C issues and found his system down by more than a pound of Freon.

On both coaches, no leaks were found. I mentioned to the Freightliner service manager, where my coach was being repaired, that Freightliner must be getting sloppy about filling the systems. He said the coaches are delivered with the systems empty and Newmar fills them after assembly. I don't know if this is true, but it seems like someone is missing the mark on filling these systems up.

When a system is low on Freon, it can shut down and sometimes start back up. The fan will run, but they will quit blowing cold.

Don, I can confirm that Newmar gets them empty according to Freightliner yesterday. In my case the nothing comes on at all, no fan, no blower, no cold. I am inclined to think for now there is a wire issue. I will be checking around as you suggested. If that doesn't work, will have to see if Newmar will let me take it to someone other than the local dealer who is a far from competent.

Thanks as always for your input Don.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSolo View Post
Can you provide a little more detail on where I would see the ground wire.
We have a 16 Dutch Star....? Thanks
We have a Fleetwood Expedition.

I ordered the wiring schematics from Fleetwood, which they sent over in PDF format. We started at the front of the coach checking all of the ground wires. Fortunately we found the loose ground in the first few wires we checked.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
For some you may have this problem, for others the Evans ac/heater section, wiring, parts and trouble shooting you will find in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #9

After checking fuses and trying to find loose wires, gave up. Called Newmar with Fl on the line. Going to take it to an FL Oasis dealer not that far from us who suspects based on symptoms described -its a faulty ground which they have seen several times. This week we will bring it in. Will report final discovery.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #10

My 16 DS dash A/C quit working just as yours, totally dead. Since on a Maritimes caravan I could not get it looked at. After about a week with two moves, I got ready to leave one morning and the ignition was dead. Found the ignition switch fuse 30A blown. Replaced and again attempted to start engine and everything was dead. Checked 30A and it again was blown. FL dispatched tech to campground in Nova Scotia and after 7 hrs. he had not found problem. Next morning a member of the caravan drove back to where I was and pulled every fuse in two black boxes and replaced one at a time until we again blew the 30A. End result was the A/C clutch relay switch. Left the switch out and continued with caravan. Have appt. at Newmar for repairs after caravan.

I bought the caravan member who got me going the biggest bottle of Crown Royal I could find.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #11

The Resolution to my Dash Air Fail

Freightliner called yesterday, my coach is ready and fixed.
Said it was a simple thing...... The AC Compressor Capacitor which is located inside the Driver Side Fuse Bay was not properly seated (pushed in) He seated it and has tried several times to get it to misbehave with no results. Said they also tested the capacitor to see if it was operational. It was.
Will pick it up Friday and see if this did the trick.
Thanks to all for your input.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to hear it Sal! You know, things like this give me mixed feelings. I'm filled with joy and relief when it was just a simple little thing (as in your case).....but then I feel almost equally ticked off that it was just a simple little thing that caused so much suffering!

Take care,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Glad to hear it Sal! You know, things like this give me mixed feelings. I'm filled with joy and relief when it was just a simple little thing (as in your case).....but then I feel almost equally ticked off that it was just a simple little thing that caused so much suffering!

Take care,
W.D.
Yes, W.D. it can get frustrating because with AC it can be so many things.
Glad it was minor. I will say that when working it blows cold and we rarely have it above the 2nd fan speed, even in the Texas heat of summer.
Hopefully I have checked enough boxes for things to be normal for awhile, but in all it hasn't been too bad. I have learned after 3 coaches to try and take an easier attitude about stuff that goes wrong, and "go with the flo" so to speak. So far I still love her, though! Thanks for your Comments W.D.
Sal

Tags
dash, dash air