RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #1

shopping for a '95-'00 Dutch Star in the SW

New here. I am moving into a M/H F/T because I hate packing and unpacking. I move every year or so in my work. Single 70 year old adventurous female. Undaunted by most things, but try to be prudent, even if I choose unconventional!

I have a line on a 1999 Dutch Star. Cummins/Spartan package. OK on price. Found the recall list. Also found a really long before I buy check list. I am not totally un-mechanical but let's be real. I am not likely to be crawling underneath the rig looking for something I wouldn't recognize if it bit me.

So what would due diligence be? The proposed rig is in Phoenix being sold by owner (widow). Recommendation for RV tech to check the thing out?

I have a check list started. Please help me to add to it. This is a big chunk of money on my budget. Can't afford foolishness.

Thanks!

prcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #2

prcarol,

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of RVing. Lynda and i have put together a list of things we would check. You may already have these things on your list, but here are some of ours. They are not in priority order.

We would try to find a knowledgable RV technician, someone we trusted, to go through the entire coach. Maybe someone on this forum in the Phoenix area could recommend someone.

We would also want to see all manintenance records the owenr has on the coach. We would look for oil filter change intervals, transmission fluid change intervals, and repairs for leaks, etc.

Check the DOT date on the tires. You don't want to have to replace them, but if they are older than say 7 years, you should probably replace them for safety. They will be an expensive item.

If the coach has been sitting a long time, oil seals can harden and crack producing leaks. Check all seal locations including the front wheel bearings, etc. Assuming you purchase the coach, we would then change the fluids and filters to give you a fresh start.

Check the roof to be sure it is OK, and the seals don't show cracking. Also check the sides for "bubbles" which would indicate delamination. If we saw delamination, we would walk away from the coach.

Make sure all the accessories, water heater, water pump, microwave, generator, refrigerator, tvs, furnace, etc. work properly. If it has a convection oven, make sure the metal shelf is with the coach.

I'm sure others wioll add to the list, but that's what we would do. Good luck.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Call Tom at Masseys diesel in Phoenix, 602-233-1700, and talk to him about checking out unit. The facility is certified for Spartan, Cummins,and x-misssion. He will also check your tires for age. I have had him do my work for the last 7 years and find them to be honest and reliable.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome prcarol to the forum & irv2.
Here is a Brochure,tank sizes,weights,etc and a Owners Guide for 99 which will give you a general idea how things work in coach.
Good luck and when questions just ask.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #5

Thanks!
prcarol is offline   Reply With Quote