RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Shore electrical plug

The DW and I spent a day/night running the generator because of no shore power here in Kansas where we are full time. One of the prongs on the 50amp service plug shorted out and tripped half of a breaker in the park where we're staying ( the breaker box is the main one in the camp and is locked up ). I ended up calling in an electrician from the area as well as the park manager/ranger. The electrician discovered half of the breaker was tripped while we had the main breaker box unlocked. He ended up putting a new plug on the shore power cord. With half the power to my coach engaged it sent my inverter into 'error mode-charge low batteries' spin. All the lights worked but NO plug-in's were hot! Moral of my story; check you're power cord plug ends as well as your surge protector ends. We missed the sub-zero weather by a couple of days.

Lowell & Judy traveling with Mr. Newmar the schnauzer
2004 MADP

Granada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you. Sounds logical.

2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Burned plug ends are usually due to plugging the shore cord in with the power hot. You said the breaker was locked up? That place owes you a new plug and any other damage you have. The ped breaker must always be off before plugging your cord in.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said it shorted out.. Ok, burned plug ends don't necessarly mean a short.

Did you find the cause of the short?d

Shore plugs come in two types

Factory plugs are normally welded to the wires.. Of course some times there are stray strands of wires that don't get properly attached and they can come together and SHORT.. but this is actually rare due to the fact they are then encased in plastic of some kind (injection molded) and this tends to keep the wires in place...

Replacement (may be OEM but read on)

In this case the wires are held to the pins using a screw/bolt and clamp affair, again, some folks (me for example) take great care to insure no stray strands to short out.. Others (Professionals/Line workers) not so careful and shorts happen.

The other way is if the plug body melts.. This can be due to pins burning due to arching due to plugging in HOT (Turn off park breaker first) or unplugging HOT (Turn off park breaker first) (Always turn off park breaker BEFORE connecting or disconnecting, also any time you change power source (Shore/generator) keep it off for THREE FULL MINUTES).

Or letting plug tarnish to the point where resistance increases (i clean every time I see tarnish) and resistance = Heat which melts the plastic and then thigngs move and ZOOOTTT you get a short.

I also carry extra plugs.

Tags
electrical