Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Patti Brown, I worked in the Nuclear Industry for a long time and you must follow procedure to the letter. Our method for insuring an items was completed was to circle the paragraph number when you start that actions and to slash when finished. This required double verification and initials of both parties. (DW/DH) I can tell you errors still happened but it because someone didn't follow guidelines. I now have checklist with circles and slashes. When I finished I give the DW the list for verification. The issues I had is because I didn't follow my own process.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #30

Last night after dinner I was having a cocktail and watching the news. A really nice, new Winnebago 42QD with an incredible paint job pulling a toad pulled into the site right in front of us. About half way in he hooked the corner of the picnic table seat about half way back on a passenger side basement door. He slowed then pulled forward some more and the picnic table, pinned against a low stone wall, started to pinwheel. He kept going and the picnic table kept rotating hard against the coach. After the picnic table rotated 180 degrees, he finally stopped before I could get out of our coach. The picnic table was trashed and he had deep gashes down four basement doors and the fender around the rear wheel. Ouch!

They are an old couple and probably pulled into new sites enough that one of them didn't bother to get out and spot their entrance into the site. They immediately set up and went inside for the night. We haven't seen them outside their coach today and the toad is still attached. I cannot imagine how they are feeling today...
Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club

Yikes!

There are some of us that should just voluntarily give up our RV licenses and stick to driving the toad.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #32

I used to live full time in an RV park, my site faced the entrance and exit road. Many times I watched people drive off towing water hoses, electric cords, and sewer hoses. Just past the entrance to the park was a BIG tree with branches overhanging the road, about twice a month there would be the remains of a tv antenna. One morning I heard a loud scraping noise, looked out and the coach next to me tried, and partially succeeded, in driving off with the jacks down. His coach had a loud warning buzzer, but he ignored it because he didn't know what it was. Cost him $600 to have a mobile RV repairman remove the four bent jacks, probably a whole lot more to have them replaced!!! Impossible to fix stupid!

Check everything once and then check again to be sure!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Patti Brown, I worked in the Nuclear Industry for a long time and you must follow procedure to the letter. Our method for insuring an items was completed was to circle the paragraph number when you start that actions and to slash when finished. This required double verification and initials of both parties. (DW/DH) I can tell you errors still happened but it because someone didn't follow guidelines. I now have checklist with circles and slashes. When I finished I give the DW the list for verification. The issues I had is because I didn't follow my own process.
What a curious coincidence! Careers in the Nuclear Industry are where DH and I each learned to live and die by the checklists in procedures...loved those "shall", "will", "must", and "may" distinctions...
Old 02-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #34

You can drive off with shorepower still connected, but it's not good policy.

We were at an Indiana campground once and noticed a Cruise America RV leaving, with the cord dangling behind. The route back to the main highway meant taking 3 right turns, but the rental unit didn't stop.

Every Cruise America we see brings back that memory.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
X2! Excellent policy. The most important point is NEVER make an exception to this rule.
Steve's smarter than me. I have a checklist, and, I've learned to read aloud each item and look at an indicator of completion.

For most people, the walkaround is a great tool and will suffice, really.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
We are in the habit of walking around the coach prior to moving it. Wife goes one way, I go another. We look at the same things, also count pins on the toad hitch, etc. Even after stopping for lunch, well actually ESPECIALLY after stopping for lunch. We've had a pin "remove itself" while eating. Was there with the spring keeper retainer in place when we went into the restaurant, was gone when we came back out. Some people get the kicks in weird ways.

We also take a cell phone shot of the campsite as we leave, with time and date stamp. Especially after getting billed one time a week later for "leaving trash in the fire ring, garbage bags by the picnic table, and "damaging" the power pedestal . . . ." We sent them the pic with the metadata stating time and date, with the rear end of our coach in view asking them to point out all the damage/trash . . . . "Oops, we must have got the wrong site!" Charge was removed from the CC. Yeah, right.
What a great idea with the cell phone. 30 years ago when we were first RVing in a 5th wheel I pulled around the corner of a service station store and caught the corner of the building roof on the top of my trailer. Tore just a very small hole in my roof but when i got up on top to examine what had happened to the building and my roof i could tell i wasn't the first one to do this. There was broken wood trim and rusted twisted metal trim on the corner of the roof of the building, so I used my 35mm camera and took several pictures of the corner of the building roof. When I paid for the gas the clerk said to give my name and insurance company's name and address to the store manager. So I did this and told him that I had several pictures of the damage in case he needed it.

Never heard anything from anyone about the situation with the roof damage. Someone was looking for a patsy to fix their damaged roof.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #37

If there is a way to do it my wife will figure out how ;-)
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know......I think a really long power cord can help here..[emoji849]
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I seem to recall Forrest Gump saying....
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #40

Send a message via Yahoo to tony326
i noticed when connected to shore power my gear selector square light say do not shift unplug from shore light goes off
Old 02-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #41

As a former pilot I learned to live by checklists, never skip steps, and never assume.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #42

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony326 View Post
can you start and drive off while shore power is connected
This is almost the same as driving off with a fuel pump nozzle still in the vehicle, yes people do forget to hang up the pump nozzle I worked a self service Hess gas station for a few years in the mid 80's to mid 90's and saw it happen a few dozen times tearing the pump hose from the pump, thank god for PA laws they all required auto shut off break away valves were the hose is attached to the pump, but having the shore power still connected? That could be a disaster! I would develop a method so you can't forget like a steering wheel cover that says check shore power before starting coach!, or something that you can't miss before starting your rig.
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power