Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to tony326
Shore Power drive off

can you start and drive off while shore power is connected
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony326 View Post
Starting the engine would be OK, but I would strongly suggest un hooking the shore power cord and storing it before driving off
Old 02-18-2017, 06:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'm assuming (always a risky thing) you're asking if there's some system in the coach to alert you or prevent you from driving off while still connected to shore power.

Nope.

I always, always, always, no matter my rush or the weather, get out and do a walk around of the whole coach before I put her in gear. I look up to the roof to be sure the antenna is down. I look that the slides are completely in. I look at the tires. I make sure there are no open compartments. And I certainly make sure hoses and cords are stowed, the surge protector is put away, the jack pads are stowed, etc. Double check the toad is squared away. Then back inside I take a walk up and down the length of the coach looking for anything I might have missed.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
I'm assuming (always a risky thing) you're asking if there's some system in the coach to alert you or prevent you from driving off while still connected to shore power.

Nope.

I always, always, always, no matter my rush or the weather, get out and do a walk around of the whole coach before I put her in gear. I look up to the roof to be sure the antenna is down. I look that the slides are completely in. I look at the tires. I make sure there are no open compartments. And I certainly make sure hoses and cords are stowed, the surge protector is put away, the jack pads are stowed, etc. Double check the toad is squared away. Then back inside I take a walk up and down the length of the coach looking for anything I might have missed.

X2! Excellent policy. The most important point is NEVER make an exception to this rule.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, it's possible to do that. Try very hard not to.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #6

And bend down and take a GOOD look under the coach!!
All_Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #7

Agreed. No amount of lights, buzzers, and override mechanisms can replace one last, simple walk around just before departure.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
YES. One can absolutely drive off while still plugged into the pedistal. Truck drivers on the highway are nice enough to honk and point to you as they pass. Probably dont need to ask how I know this to be a fact. I have been RVing for about 19 years and always double check, walk around, look up, etc. If you want to know how one can feel so dumb if you "always" do this and still have it happen take my word for it. You dont need to try to duplicate.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Sure many of us HAVE!!!!!!!

Usually happens when you get distracted from your routine when pulling out - phone call - neighbor stops by to talk about the trip - wife needs help - .................................................. .................. hundreds of excuses but usually only ONCE!!!

Very similar to the Antennae thing for the TV - Hard lesson but some of us are slower than the rest. ...........

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

I'm completely obsessed with my paper checklists - ask my wife! You'd think I was preparing for a flight in a space shuttle or something...
Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #11

my one close call was due to neighbor interference. I have my way of checking and I don't need any help at this point. same with the toad set up. My advice, make a check list.
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #12

They use the same fail safe system that is used to avoid driving off with the fuel nozzle still in the tank. Stay focused and when in doubt, do a second check.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always do one final walk-around before moving the coach. Including under (jacks are really up) and up top (antennas are down/stowed, awnings are fully retracted ). ALWAYS!!!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I always put the 4 way flashers on before I go out and do my final walk around. The DTRL'S are on also, so I can see that they are working as well. Part of every pre-trip inspection.
As for the power cord, my brother just left for Arizona 2 weeks ago and left his power cord lying in his shop.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power