RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Shore Power Problem

I was working on the coach (2015 DS 4018) today and ran into a few issues. When i have the coach in the driveway, I plug it into a 20 amp circuit. I tripped a house breaker this morning and reset for power. First, the kitchen slide worked but the bedroom slide was dead. I went to the forum and found a few suggestions which i tried. Turning off the house batteries and then back on worked and fixed the problem. Next, I took the coach back to the yard and plugged it into the normal 30 amp shore power and had no power to the Surgegard surge protector. I'm not sure where to go with the problem. I didn't have my meter with me but the other coaches in the yard seemed to have power. I'll retrieve the coach in the morning with my meter and check the outlet and will call Newmar when they are open. Just checking here for any suggestions.

JPietri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

I'm no expert but curious on when you plugged into the house 20amp what was all trying to pull current at that time? Did you change the power management so that it didn't overload the house with too many things pulling plus maybe also too much trying to be pulled to charge the batteries? What condition are your batteries? If too low and either you aren't plugged in or have the generator running that could have been the problem with the slides. I would get your multimeter and run a test on the post. At least you can then chase it from there. Or plug into a different post and see if you get the same results. I am not asking you to answer me on the questions as much as that would be what I would be asking myself and checking on first. Good luck as I know it can be so frustrating when things don't work as they should.

oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you plug in without the surge protector does everything work?
Are you using a dog bone adapter on your shore power line?
If you run your Gen does everything work slides or other appliances?
Have you checked the TS for loose wiring as the recall posted at end of this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the quick responses. The surge protector is hard wired and located behind the cord reel. I need to figure out how to look at the connections to it in the morning. Yes, i am using dog bones a 20 to 30 and a 30 to 50 in the appropriate places. Both worked at the house and both were replaced within the last month. and finally, yes, everything worked well on the generator.

The coach is stored with the 30 amp service keeping all batteries charged and all batteries were new in January of this year. I did run the cord to another post in the storage yard with the same result. I think this is a reel problem or a surge protector connection problem.

I will be checking the TS per the other thread. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a Newmar search for cord reel problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the links to the reel problems. I am going to look at the cord reel first. Where is the breaker for the cord reel?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPietri View Post
Thanks for the links to the reel problems. I am going to look at the cord reel first. Where is the breaker for the cord reel?
There is no 120v breaker between the reel and the transfer switch/shore power source. This is a direct connection.

If it is the reel, turning it slowly will cause it to power on.

What kind of surge protector do you have? Is there a status screen or light that can tell you when it senses shore power?

What about the end of your 50 amp cord, is there a green light on it to show power is visible?

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It turned out to be the storage yard power and not the coach. I will check all the connections including the cord reel, surge protector (surge guard), and the ATS (surge guard).

Thanks for the help.

Tags
power, shore power