RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #1

Should I be concerned re freezing water line to front of coach?

Hello, all. Our new VT 3407 has the optional hot water line to the generator compartment. We often camp in the spring and fall when it's freezing, temperatures in the teens are not uncommon for us. I wouldn't be concerned usually if it went all the way down to zero (f). We don't winterize, we keep the coach heated.

My concern is with this coach, the exposed water line to the front freezing. It's open to the air from the point where it exits the basement and goes over the fuel tank area and generator compartment. Seems to me that could easily freeze in camp. And even more so if we're driving in freezing temperatures with the air movement through that space going down the highway.

So firstly, is this a valid concern? If it is, how best to mitigate it? I'm thinking of putting a three way valve where it sources water in the wet bay (I presume) so I could isolate that line and blow it dry with compressed air.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

There should be a shut off in the basement between the frame rails. Then you just open the drain up front. The shut off is usually drivers side in compartment in front of the water bay or electric bay.

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #3

Thank you! Found the valve in the basement, just as you said, hiding behind some wiring.

It appears the line retains some water between the basement and the front connection (not much came out the front drain) but I'm optimistic the forces of driving and braking will shake most of that water out.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Thank you! Found the valve in the basement, just as you said, hiding behind some wiring.

It appears the line retains some water between the basement and the front connection (not much came out the front drain) but I'm optimistic the forces of driving and braking will shake most of that water out.
Make sure it's the water to front and not the ice maker also located in the area. If the valve is open even if it freezes it should not harm the line.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:

Is this cutoff valve in the wet bay compartment where the furnace or Oasis will heat it?

I guess my bigger question is whether there is anything outside of the wetbay (obviously other than the line to the front spigot being discussed) that is in the other basement compartments that could freeze and cause damage?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #6

The cutoff is in the bay next to the furnace. No other lines to worry about I know of.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If you are thinking of a line that goes from the Oasis to the front, Oasis fluid is not water, it's antifreeze. The Oasis heats the fluid, which in turn heats the water. So, you need to drain your water lines. You do not drain your Oasis fluid lines.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
If you are thinking of a line that goes from the Oasis to the front, Oasis fluid is not water, it's antifreeze. The Oasis heats the fluid, which in turn heats the water. So, you need to drain your water lines. You do not drain your Oasis fluid lines.
No, I was talking about the line that runs from the cutoff to the hot water spigot next to the generator that the OP was asking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
The cutoff is in the bay next to the furnace. No other lines to worry about I know of.
Just for clarity, I assume when you say "in the bay" that refers to the heated wet bay. So, part of the Oasis (only with boiler fluid) is in the non heated, and the hot water heat exchange component is in the wet bay?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:

Finance

Can you elaborate on exactly where the line to the front originates and the routing to the front. My VTDP doesn't have the optional line but I would really like to add one. Is yours hot or cold? - understand they did it both ways but not positive.

I added one to our last WInnie - T'd & valved in HWH / winterization bay so I could leave the line to front w/ pink in it and dewinterize the rest of the MH and use water while traveling in cold Wx. As soon as I got far enough S I could open the valve and flush the pink.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I optioned it on mine, it's a hot water line. I forgot about it for winterizing so we'll see what happens. Too late now but adding to my future W checklist.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Finance

Can you elaborate on exactly where the line to the front originates and the routing to the front. My VTDP doesn't have the optional line but I would really like to add one. Is yours hot or cold? - understand they did it both ways but not positive.

I added one to our last WInnie - T'd & valved in HWH / winterization bay so I could leave the line to front w/ pink in it and dewinterize the rest of the MH and use water while traveling in cold Wx. As soon as I got far enough S I could open the valve and flush the pink.
Ours is the 3407 floor plan, others may differ? In this case the line to the front tees off the hot water line to the kitchen sink. It's in the basement storage compartment, left side. The first door behind the battery and propane. From there it routes along the left frame rail forward to the generator area.

PS- and a poor job IMO by the factory on this one; the line is unsupported for 6 or 8 feet back from the front fitting; just dangling in the air. I will be fixing that myself.

Tags
water