Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Should we buy the Canyon Star 3710?

Narrowing down our search and Canyon Star 3710 is at the top of our list. What are your thoughts on this unit and Newmar in general? How is support after the sale? Anyone have recommendations on great dealers to go through for the purchase? Any other advice?
loricofne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us in the forum.

Newmar is a great coach builder and you won't regret buying the Canyon Star. Newmar also has great customer service and it's reflected in their customer loyalty.
Hope to see you sign into the Newmar Forum.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:54 AM   #3

We have the 3610 which the 3710 replaced in 2017. The only difference is about 8" in length and they put a king size bed in place of the queen. But for the most part everything else is the same. We love our Canyon Star, it drives great, has plenty of power, tracks well, doesn't roll or sway, or get pushed around by the wind or big trucks. It's a great MH to travel in as with the slides in everything is easily accessible. When opened up in a CG the layout is very comfortable, the TV/fireplace set up is great, and we love the bath and a half, as we don't like to use the CG facilities unless we have to. We did a lot of research before buying ours and are really glad we did as we ended up with a MH we love and will keep for a long time.

Newmar is a great MH builder, and they build all the levels of the Newmar line with the same high quality. When you compare the build to some other brands you will really see the difference. It is very unlikely that you will have a list of things that need repair after the purchase. Their Customer Service people really take care of you after the sale. We have only had a few minor adjustments needed and the micro wave recall, both which were done at our dealership while we stayed with the MH and took it home the same day. Both times we took it in Newmar Customer Service called us to make sure we were happy with the service and our MH was operating as it should.

As far as dealers go I would highly recommend calling Tom Lindstrom RV, in Moorpark Ca. He has a small dealership, but is one of the top 10 Newmar dealers in the US, and only sells Newmars and any quality RV's he takes in trade. You don't say where you live but he sells to a lot of out of state people, and is very knowledgeable in how to do the sale. The best thing is Tom(the owner) is a great guy, he is a very ethical, honest, and knowledgeable dealer with integrity. You can send him an email contact from his website, and he will call you back and answer any questions you have, but will not try to continually call or contact you. I have referred several people to him who have bought from Tom and are very happy with his dealership both before and after the sale.

Good luck and you won't be disappointed with the Newmar Canyon star.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:10 AM   #4

We looked at the 3610, it is one of our favorite floor plans. Although we have an older Newmar, don't think you will be disappointed.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #5

Not a Canyon, but we have had our BSS since March. We have had several items that needed attention. Some one might expect, some you just have to ask how could this have slipped past inspection. Newmar has been good to deal with to resolve the issues. I am of the opinion that getting items resolved under warranty is more complicated and time consuming that it needs to be.

I am still learning the best way to store stuff, streamlining the setup process, but so far so good on the choice of Newmar. The Ford chassis 20.5k has been flawless.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

Thank you - Tom Lindstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We have the 3610 which the 3710 replaced in 2017. The only difference is about 8" in length and they put a king size bed in place of the queen. But for the most part everything else is the same. We love our Canyon Star, it drives great, has plenty of power, tracks well, doesn't roll or sway, or get pushed around by the wind or big trucks. It's a great MH to travel in as with the slides in everything is easily accessible. When opened up in a CG the layout is very comfortable, the TV/fireplace set up is great, and we love the bath and a half, as we don't like to use the CG facilities unless we have to. We did a lot of research before buying ours and are really glad we did as we ended up with a MH we love and will keep for a long time.

Newmar is a great MH builder, and they build all the levels of the Newmar line with the same high quality. When you compare the build to some other brands you will really see the difference. It is very unlikely that you will have a list of things that need repair after the purchase. Their Customer Service people really take care of you after the sale. We have only had a few minor adjustments needed and the micro wave recall, both which were done at our dealership while we stayed with the MH and took it home the same day. Both times we took it in Newmar Customer Service called us to make sure we were happy with the service and our MH was operating as it should.

As far as dealers go I would highly recommend calling Tom Lindstrom RV, in Moorpark Ca. He has a small dealership, but is one of the top 10 Newmar dealers in the US, and only sells Newmars and any quality RV's he takes in trade. You don't say where you live but he sells to a lot of out of state people, and is very knowledgeable in how to do the sale. The best thing is Tom(the owner) is a great guy, he is a very ethical, honest, and knowledgeable dealer with integrity. You can send him an email contact from his website, and he will call you back and answer any questions you have, but will not try to continually call or contact you. I have referred several people to him who have bought from Tom and are very happy with his dealership both before and after the sale.

Good luck and you won't be disappointed with the Newmar Canyon star.
Thank you for the detailed information I am familiar where Tom Lindstrom RV is, as my daughter just graduated from California Lutheran University (as a side note if it wasn't for that, I might be closer to affording a diesel pusher ha ha).

Looks like a trip to California (we live in Arizona) "to see my daughter"...go to Tom Lindstrom RV is in order.

Thanks again! Lori
loricofne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricofne View Post
Narrowing down our search and Canyon Star 3710 is at the top of our list. What are your thoughts on this unit and Newmar in general? How is support after the sale? Anyone have recommendations on great dealers to go through for the purchase? Any other advice?
After about a year of research, I knew I wanted a Tiffin or a Newmar. Drove both brands, diesel and gasser, and a Newmar gasser won out. (Diesel would be overkill for my needs. Newmar had quality the Tiffin didn't but that might be subjective.)

Lots comes down to floorplan. I liked the CS layout. Wanted 2 slides (coming from a 5ver with 3), less weight, no awning extended over a slide, and especially didn't want the FWS (full wall slide -- I'm superstitious probably without logic on that -- the slide looks big enough to be complicated and trouble).

On buying new: I liked the fact Newmar would work with me to special order things (different dinette, wallpaper, fixtures).

There's a recent thread here that has a list of some top Newmar dealers. I got bids from about 5 of them -- 24-26% off MSRP. That's the best I could do. Tom Lindstrom RV (in Moorpark, CA) was in the middle of the pack -- someone here suggested I consider the big picture and not price alone. After much communication with Tom by email/phone, and then meeting him, I trusted Tom's knowledge and trustability. From a personal POV, I came away really liking Tom.

Since my Newmar will be serviced in California, I wanted a relationship with Tom and his crew to keep my Newmar in top condition. Think he's the Man.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Hey Leland,

Just out of curiosity was the "24-26% off MSRP" with or without a trade?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Leland,

Just out of curiosity was the "24-26% off MSRP" with or without a trade?
All bids received were without a trade. I wanted a number for Newmar purchase only, cash deal. I didn't bring up the possibility of a trade until I got serious about putting a deal together -- and that was with Tom Lindstrom.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #10

Hello again Leland and one more question if I may. Did you buy your Canyon Star from his stock or did you order it?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lori - we ordered our CS 3914 last fall and was delivered in March. I had done a ton of research into the various manufacturers of gas coaches. We went to RV shows, searched the internet, BBB, forums, etc. We visited several factories (Newmar, Thor, and Winnebago) and there was no comparison in build quality. We are very pleased with our Newmar purchase.

I have contacted Newmar twice since our purchase - once via email and they sent the requested information. The other time was for an engineering type question. They did not know the answer so they got me on the phone with both Ford and the 3rd party chassis modifier who was able to quickly give me an answer. I was pretty impressed.

Over the spring we had multiple weekend trips and just got back from our first longer trip. The coach performed very well. We went to Colorado, so experienced some mountain performance. On the winding roads, we had no problem driving at the recommended speeds for the curves and bends. On the long straight interstates, we were definitely in the "slow" lane, but never felt like we were not going to make it. After the long trip, we do have a short list of minor items to take it back to the dealer. I could easily fix all of them myself, but since it is still under warranty, we are taking it in.

The dealer we chose was National Indoor RV Center in Dallas, TX. Not exactly close for you, but if you are searching, they would be worth talking to. We were very pleased with our experience with them, both when we were in the research mode and through the ordering/purchase process.

I can't really comment on the 3710 floor plan as it was not one that appealed to us. I do see some variation on that plan with a lot of the manufacturers, so it is very popular.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hello again Leland and one more question if I may. Did you buy your Canyon Star from his stock or did you order it?
I'm buying a new Newmar from Tom. I checked his inventory, and inventory available throughout the US -- specifically for a Canyon Star. Couldn't find one that fit my needs: king bed, lighter color wood, etc.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #13

We have a 15 3914 and we love it! Newmar's CS is wonderful too. We have a few bugs that we are working out, but the coach is a very, very good quality, loaded with a lot of luxury for a gasser. Go for it!
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We looked at the 3610 and liked the layout, but when we saw the 3953 with laminate wood floors we were sold. Also, Tiffin dealer told us that Tiffins were almost a good a Newmar, yea he really said that. Things we like about the 3953.

1. Extra slide in the bedroom makes it roomier for DW to do her morning readiness.
2. Extra slide in living area provide near home size living area.
3. Wanted a King Bed

We did like the layout of the 3610 especially the L-Shaped couch, which we almost got as an option to the 3953.

We have had our coach for 1 year now and except for minor issues have been loving it ever since.

Good luck with your decision, but from our viewpoint layout should be number one issue and as far as quality is concerned we believe Newmar makes the best Gasser in the industry.

If you happen to be located new Central Pennsylvania, I would say that Ansley RV in Duncansvile has been a wonderful place to purchase and service the MH.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote