Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hi: Anyone have suggestions about fixing shower door track/hanger on 08 Essex. It's a curved glass enclosure, 2 part w. 1/2 fixed and other 1/2 a sliding door. Door has aluminium channel strip over both the top and bottom of the curved glass door with a white nylon track wheel on either end of each channel. The top channel seems to have popped up in the center of the curved edge of glass door and the clear looking, silicone gasket between the groove in this track piece and the glass is hanging loose. I've loosened and retightened the cam device on the track wheels on each end of this channel, but bulge in center seems to reoccur and I'm not sure if I'm correctly understanding the wheel cam adjustment, and, I'm wondering if that silicone looking gasket is supposed to be adhereing to the glass since otherwise it seems there is nothing affixing the center of that aluminum channel strip to the glass in the central portion of the curve. Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can lift the door off track and remove retainer screws off ends of track pry the metal strip off top of door and apply a sealent adhesive to hold track to glass door on the full curve at top of door. Let dry a day or so using a shower curtain until dry.
I would reset your adjustments to wheel cams to aprox set point before you adjust them.
Your under warranty give Newmar a call maybe they will ship you new door.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
cwg

I had the same problem with the shower door... it was first attempted to be placed back into the track by a tech, but when it failed to hold and popped out again within a short time frame, Newmar replaced the door under warranty. I expect that will be the course you may have to take.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Chickadee:
Hi: Anyone have suggestions about fixing shower door track/hanger on 08 Essex. It's a curved glass enclosure, 2 part w. 1/2 fixed and other 1/2 a sliding door. Door has aluminium channel strip over both the top and bottom of the curved glass door with a white nylon track wheel on either end of each channel. The top channel seems to have popped up in the center of the curved edge of glass door and the clear looking, silicone gasket between the groove in this track piece and the glass is hanging loose. I've loosened and retightened the cam device on the track wheels on each end of this channel, but bulge in center seems to reoccur and I'm not sure if I'm correctly understanding the wheel cam adjustment, and, I'm wondering if that silicone looking gasket is supposed to be adhereing to the glass since otherwise it seems there is nothing affixing the center of that aluminum channel strip to the glass in the central portion of the curve. Steve

I had the same problem and I added some spacers on the bottom track to keep the glass from sliding down and out of the top track. It seems as though the glass is to small for the frame.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #5

Gmorning Chickadee, my door was replaced twice.Top has to be glued to frame and the bottom wheels turn down to help support the weight of the glass door. I was surprised at the weight of the door. Aubie
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by aubie:
Gmorning Chickadee, my door was replaced twice.Top has to be glued to frame and the bottom wheels turn down to help support the weight of the glass door. I was surprised at the weight of the door. Aubie
I have my coach in for service and asked them to replace it under warranty but if the replacements have that problem maybe I should keep the one that I fixed back in April or May. It hasn't failed since.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 01-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, THANKS for comebacks: Gee, and I thought ours was the only one w. a problem. So, Aubie or '007', top DOES have to be glued, huh? What sealant adhesive is best to use considering aluminum (frame) TO glass (door)?? Thanks again for guidance. Steve
Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #8

Steve,
With the rubber gasket on the top I don't know how well it would adhere to the glass. My fix was to remove the bottom rail and add about 1/4 inch of hard rubber shims to keep the glass from being able to drop out of the top rail.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will need a industrial adhesive this LINK
may help you decide.
A glass company may also help rebond frame to glass if you try yourself use rubber blocks when tapping frame back onto glass.
Under warranty Newmar may do it or they will order new door. I would keep the old one for future replacement as someone did.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 AM   #10

Chickadee, Newmar repaired mine. I don't know what glue they used but it's been good to go for a year. Aubie
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Daryl (sjcaldal 11): When you say you removed bottom track and installed shims, ya mean you put shims in the bottom of the groove of the aluminum strip having wheels attached, or in the "track" that the wheels ride in??

007: You mentioned using rubber blocks when tapping aluminum frame (the one w. wheels attached) back on to the glass. Ya mean using the block(s) between mallet and aluminum to prevent denting? You said.."blocks"...(plural) so I'm (as usual) confused.

Re: having Newmar ship a new door....I didn't think Newmar would ship direct to an owner w/o going through some local Newmar approved shop.

aubie: do you (or anyone here) know WHO to call at Newmar to find out the type of adhesive they used? Is there a NAME at Camp Newmar who is BEST to talk to?

Thanks. Steve
Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #12

Steve,
I removed the glass and put the shims in the track under the rubber gasket.The whole door is held together with four screws.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #13

Had the same problem on our MA. Kept putting it back in the track and it kept popping out. At the factory a tech removed the door and put large clamps on it and re-bent it - it was ever so slightly warped. Been fine ever since.

You can waste a lot of time with spacers and bushings, etc. but if it's warped a bit the only permament fix will be to align it correctly. Best advice: get the factory to fix. it.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The blocks were to only use while tapping the frame to glass could use a wood block if you wish.
Why not just make a visit to Newmar on way home from FL.