Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Shower Glass Panel Spline

The spline that holds the glass panel of the shower enclosure is loose. In various areas it has worked itself out of the frame and its still loose if I just push it back in. I’m thinking that I may need to replace the spline, but I cannot seem to find one that’s the same size (its about 1/2” wide) and shape. See pictures below. I’ve checked the Newmar parts website but they do not seem to have it listed. Any suggestions on where I may be able to find this. Not sure how much the specific spline design matters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	365286

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	365287
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #2

It may take a phone call, but I found I items I needed at

Frameless Shower Door Products and Hardware by C.R. Laurence
Old 05-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #3

Definetly push it back in. Use a putty knife and get it in there. I would also run a bead of clear silicone up that entire joint. The silicone will prevent any further movement.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the input.

So as it turns out, Newmar parts does have the replacement item. I was unable to find it, but once Newmar provided a part number I was able to.

https://newpar.newmarcorp.com/instan...ic&item=019760

I just double checked the condition of the spline before ordering a replacement and what I noticed was that the spline looks okay. But I did notice that the edge of the glass was about even with the edge of the frame, so there was no glass in the frame for the spline to grab onto.

I proceeded to pull the spline out on the other edge of the glass and probed for the edge of the glass. I was able to probe about 1" and still did not feel the edge of the glass. So apparently the glass has shifted and is no longer centered in the opening created by the frame.

This brings up another one of my issues, which is most likely the reason for the glass to have shifted. The shower door has two magnet that hold the door closed. These magnets are too strong such that you need to pull the door pretty hard to open it. When this happens the frame that has the magnets are attached to it bows. This pulls the frame away from the shower and has had the effect of pushing the glass towards the outside wall when the magnetic pull is broken and the frame straightens back up.

So what I need to do is somehow ease the magnetic attraction (new weaker magnets?) and then recenter the fixed glass panel. Once the panel is recenter, I suspect the spline will stay secured.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So I made a new shower door magnet striker out of an old electrical box cover (perfect thickness - 1.5mm). The new striker is about 1/3 the length of the original striker (see photo) and it significantly reduced the pull required to open the shower door. So now the door opens without the frame bowing. With the frame not bowing, the show door will stay put and not get pushed away from the frame. I can also adjust the position of the new striker up or down to increase or decrease the amount of pull required.

I pulled the glazing spline out of both side of the glass panel and reposition the panel so that its now centered in the frame opening. Now with sufficient overlap with the frame the splines where nice and tight when re-installed.

I can now check two things off my list. The loose glazing spline and the shower door magnets which were too strong.

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	365299
Old 05-07-2023, 02:44 AM   #6
Miles 2 go before I sleep

Newmar Owners Club
Shower door magnets - PT 2

Our 2020 Mountain Aire 4569 has the diagonal shower door. The door magnets do not stay on the main frame, always on the shower door (stuck to the strike) anybody had this issue and found a way to resolve. One of the strikes is missing so I will make a new one, but that still does not resolve the magnets staying with the door.

2nd topic - the top of the shower door hinge is pinned into the top bar over the door space. Unfortunately the top bar is not really attached to anything. Had the shower door come off (top bar lifted up, pin came out) on a trip - fortunately was still half attached and hang up on the extra pillows that were stacked on the floor. (I had to stop cursing all the pillows my wife keeps on the bed after that save)

Put it back together roadside, but have to find a way to make this all really travel ready. Is anyone's top bar (over the shower door) attached to anything (perhaps mending plate or something) or are they all just a pressure fit plastic insert between aluminum extrusions. Great for house. Not great for large moving housecar.
2015 Berkshire QL-400 DP
sgilbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, shower