Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #1

Shower leak Help!

Out on vacation took a shower this morning and noticed water on the floor in the right corner opposite the door coming out along the floor everything is dry above it.

I have no Idea how I would find this leak short of completely disassembling the shower.

I am trying to get the water valve cover off so I can see if there are any lose lines leading to the valve but not having any luck, I don't want to break anything.

I removed the lever no problem but there seems to be no way to remove the cover.

Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	347342  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #2

OK I figured it out, the 3 inch ring around the valve is held in with an Oring get your fingerails under it and pull it out, the screws are behind it.

All is dry on all the plumbing, stuck my phone camera in there and took 360 degree pictures.

I found the back wall where it meets the pan was not sealed and when I pushed on it water was coming out.

Used compressed air to blow it out, a hair dryer to dry it out, Electric parts cleaner to make sure it was absolutely clean, andd rand a new bead of clear silicone.

I also sealed around the drain the plumbers putty didn't look that great.

I won't know if I got it until the next shower after the sealer dries.

Ted.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Shower leaks are the pits to find sometimes.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I had shower leaks that Newmar chased for years.
First the pan has lip behind the walls, actually no caulk is needed on the solid walls. The primary source of leaks is a failure to properly caulk where the frame of the glass wall meet the sides. This can actually leak to the inside drop down to the tile under the shower. I had such a leak on the corner where glass frame meets the solid wall with the shower valve. I could see the water on the tile just outside the shower but everything above was dry. Taking off the Oasis vent cover in the bedroom allowed me to see the water coming down. Newmar removed the glass wall and re-caulk. Next the other corner had to be re-caulked. A year later I was getting water on the floor in the corner with the door. At first Newmar's techs insisted the were no screws under aluminum frame, but my tech persisted and removed the frame (again) and found there was a screw through the frame (hidden under the door frame) and that the tech that had fixed the first leak had used a non-stainless steel screw that rusted and allowed the leak. Remember the frame is caulked on the outside but it has weep holes which allow water to get in and out from under the frame.
I now had a shower that doesn't leak!!

DS4369.
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk02 View Post
I had shower leaks that Newmar chased for years.
First the pan has lip behind the walls, actually no caulk is needed on the solid walls. The primary source of leaks is a failure to properly caulk where the frame of the glass wall meet the sides. This can actually leak to the inside drop down to the tile under the shower. I had such a leak on the corner where glass frame meets the solid wall with the shower valve. I could see the water on the tile just outside the shower but everything above was dry. Taking off the Oasis vent cover in the bedroom allowed me to see the water coming down. Newmar removed the glass wall and re-caulk. Next the other corner had to be re-caulked. A year later I was getting water on the floor in the corner with the door. At first Newmar's techs insisted the were no screws under aluminum frame, but my tech persisted and removed the frame (again) and found there was a screw through the frame (hidden under the door frame) and that the tech that had fixed the first leak had used a non-stainless steel screw that rusted and allowed the leak. Remember the frame is caulked on the outside but it has weep holes which allow water to get in and out from under the frame.
I now had a shower that doesn't leak!!

DS4369.
This is great info, Thank you.

You have given me clues of where to look along with a better understaning of how the shower is mounted to the wall and base.

Ted.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ted,

From the Oasis vent you can also use a mirror to check the plumbing connections.

If the leak is at one of the corners where the glass frame attaches to the solid wall, the only way to properly fix it is to remove the glass wall frame.

If this is the source of your leak I would contact Newmar CS and ask them to cover the repair since it would have to be a manufacturing defect.

ken
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk02 View Post
Ted,

From the Oasis vent you can also use a mirror to check the plumbing connections.

If the leak is at one of the corners where the glass frame attaches to the solid wall, the only way to properly fix it is to remove the glass wall frame.

If this is the source of your leak I would contact Newmar CS and ask them to cover the repair since it would have to be a manufacturing defect.

ken
Yes sir had that open today all is dry, I can replicate the leak by spraying the glass, the water must be running along the bottom rail inside then leaking down through one of the mounting screws and coming out under the pan on the floor.

I may just clear seal the seams on the inside of the glass.

Ted.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
Yes sir had that open today all is dry, I can replicate the leak by spraying the glass, the water must be running along the bottom rail inside then leaking down through one of the mounting screws and coming out under the pan on the floor.

I may just clear seal the seams on the inside of the glass.

Ted.

I went ahead and clear sealed the glass walls but I have not had a chance to use the shower since it’s winter
here.

Tags
leak, shower