Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Shower leaking

On this trip I noticed water leaking from under my shower. Definitely worthy of investigation. It also turned out to be a learning experience. First lesson, how on earth do I look under the shower/tub? Looking in the basement yielded nothing except now I know where my black and grey tanks are. I did notice a "vent" on the outside of the shower/bath unit just above the floor, so I took that off and fond it not to be a vent but a handy place to look under my shower.

I was expecting to see leaking something or other but of course I didn't. To determine if it was a pipe or drain leak I ran water in a bucket and watched. Of course it was dry, so I poured the bucket of water down the drain, still no leak. :bang head:

I was a bit confused if it wasn't a water pipe or the drain what else could it be. My trusty wife suggested shower, of course I scoffed at such a ridiculous suggestion, same water lines was my explanation. The water was running at this time as I was looking underneath. The good woman reached over and pulled the water redirector up to activate the shower and voila water started pouring underneath. I don't see where it's coming from but evidently it's the shower redirector that caused it which means I need to replace the faucet that's screwed in to the wall.

Has anyone had to do this before? Is it as simple as taking out the old and replacing with a new one? You can get two things out of this: I'm not a plumber and don't always listen to the wife. I am working on one but need to work on both.

Thanks so much

Mitch

2005 Newmar DutchStar 4010
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mitchone......People often replace the shower diverter for a better quality model. You can remove yours and buy another built for an RV or head to Lowes or Home Depot and see if it matches one they sell. I know on my previous coach, a Monaco, a standard diverter worked, but their was a pipe that was an odd length used to attach it. The pipe had to be made (threaded).

So if you can do the work, a direct replacement will be easiest, but a local hardware store model will probably be cheaper and of better quality.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
That shower vent near floor is also a return for the basement tanks back to the furnace on a LP FURNACE that would be under your fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Had the same problem with our Ventana LE. Turned out that all that was needed was a good bead of silicone around the diverter
tcam001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely try the silicone first.

A question for 007. The shower vent that's used for a return for the LP furnace under my fridge is covered with some kind of foil, I assume the previous owners did this. I'm guessing I should remove the tin foil to allow return air flow.

Thanks so much.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Late answer, yes remove foil you need return for tank areas and you may have a fan switch in your water bay closet to put on for a 12v fan in foil tube that comes from the furnace and fan will cycle with the furnace to draw heat down to tanks.
you have to look up over chassis rails to see the tube and fan in it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks so much 007. I did notice the ductwork the other day going into the area of the tanks. That's one of the things I learned while looking for a source of the leak in the shower.

Concerning the shower leak. I was happy to see that the faucet had everything inside it. When I removed the faucet I took it to a local hardware store. I was surprised that they had one, although it's silver and the old one was gold, as in not real gold, unfortunately. The fix was the easiest thing I've worked on. I was really worried that I'd have to tear into walls, etc. Almost happy ending.

Coincidentally, the same time I fixed the shower, the faucet in the kitchen sink decided it was its turn for my attention. The water flow turned into a trickle. The same trickle happened over the shower portion of the faucet. I did notice how difficult it's going to be to remove the old faucet. Woohoo right?

007, I am very impressed with your knowledge, thanks so much.

Tags
leak, shower