Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Shower Mixing Valve Replacement

From reading the various threads on this subject, I'm confident I'm needing to replace the shower mixing valve in my 2015 Dutchstar 4369. Before tearing down, I'd like to know what "quality" part I should purchase. I'm understanding that what I will find factory installed is less than quality. If anyone has done this replacement on like coach, I'd much appreciate hearing what part I should purchase, as well as source. Thanks, Larry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #2

I would think I would just replace the cartridge of what ever Newmar installed. 5 minute fix as compared to who knows how long. My last unit had all moen fixtures and I replaced all of the cartridges over a ten year period. It’s a no brainer to r&r the cartridges.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

You could do like I did and upgrade your shower altogether. I installed a shower tower/body spa in mine.

https://youtu.be/nx3pHWFK60c
MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced the shower valve in my 2015 Ventana with a Moen part number 82604SRN from Lowes.

Replaced the entire valve because the too cold to too hot range on the original valve was about 0.00001" of handle rotation. In other words it was WAY too sensitive.

There is a thread in the Newmar Owner Forum on this subject here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ques...-343646-4.html

The valve replacement discussion with some details starts about post #47.

This was a DYI project and was pretty straight forward. The only challenge was messing with the spacers to get the valve sufficently back in the wall so the handle was not sticking too far out of the wall.

Very happy with the new valve.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

Many thanks for the responses! Appears I'm needing more to look at the Oasis mixing valve adjustment. Capt. Bill sometime ago wrote about his water problem from wintering in Florida, causing a water scale buildup in the mixing valve...once he cleaned that up his problem of not getting consistent and sufficient hot water was eliminated. I was not aware (as I should've been?) of the importance of exercising the mixing valve as preventive maintenance. I'll dig into that and hopefully experience the endless hot water many speak of! Again, thanks for the input. Larry
Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

Status update...I spoke with "Brian" with ITR (Oasis) yesterday and he tentatively diagnosed my problem as a bad summer loop pump. Today followed his instructions and am convinced that I indeed have need for a new summer loop pump. At this moment I'm awaiting a return call from "Brian" to discuss my case...and, if he is the sole source for a replacement summer loop pump will order one from him. QUESTION: Do I understand correctly that ITR (Oasis) is the sole source for parts for the Oasis Hydronic Heating System? Can I expect the best deal available from Oasis? Lastly, what can I expect the price to be? Many thanks! Larry
Old 01-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

After replacing all three pumps on the Oasis circulation module on my 2016 DS, I can tell you that prices from International Thermal Research are much better than buying from Newmar. ITR has recently changed the pump manufacturer they use to try to improve reliabilty. I suggest that you request the new model of pump from ITR like I recently did for my last failure. I doubt that you can get this pump any where else. There is no maufacturer name shown on the new model pump. Old pump model was made by Gorman-Rupp. And you need to use a pump that has the same flow rate versus discharge head (pressure) curve. New model pump is $299 from ITR but you may be able to plead for a discount.
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #8

RetireeKeith...thanks for responding. Interesting, to put it mildly, that you've had to replace all three pumps in the Oasis Distribution Module, in light of the age of your coach. ITR must really have gotten a bad bunch of the pumps, as Newmar did with the overhead led lights in the earlier coaches. I have a summer loop pump from ITR on the way, maybe to arrive today...and I was offered a significant discount. At any time did you replace the hose...if so, what procedure did you follow without a big mess resulting? Thanks, Larry
Old 01-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #9

Larry,

Many Newmar Owners have had to replace multiple pumps (BTW, all three are the same model). It has been a common problem. The easy replacement procedure is well described in the very good DM12 maintenance manual that you can down load from the ITR website (model CH50M burner with DM12 distribution module). You will need a locking pliers with a relatively smooth gripping surface on the jaws (I used a needle nose Vice Grip) to clamp off the hose on the suction side of the pump. There are several other useful manuals on the ITR site too as well as a great video for doing the annual burner maintenance yourself. I will be ordering parts from ITR to do my annual maintenance in a week or two.

The spring clips on the hoses can be a bugger to get off because the clips sort of melt into the surface of the hoses. As other posts on the topic have suggested, it may be wise (but not absolutely necessary) to get some new hose from ITR.

I recently took apart one of the failed pumps that was removed but it was not obvious why it was not working. Nothing seemed broken. It is has a magnetic drive which is unusual for such a small commercial pump. This probably accounts for the rather high pump price. A magnetic drive has no mechanical drive shaft connecting the motor to the centrifugal impeller. Instead the impeller has a magnet around the shaft which is magnetically coupled to the magnetic coil in the motor. This eliminates the need for a shaft seal through the wall of the liquid chamber which is a frequent cause of leaks in pumps. The weak link in the pump design appeared to be the fact that the ceramic impeller shaft rotated in flimsy looking plastic supports on both ends. Plus these types of pumps will quickly fail if they are operated without any liquid in them.

There has been some talk that Newmar might have operated these pumps for a while they were dry during coach construction and that may have caused a lot of these pumps to be short lived.

Good luck.

Keith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

Thanks, Keith, for all the good info and help. I have accessed my Distribution Model and am waiting for the new pump, hopefully tomorrow. Really unfortunate that so many of the pumps were "bad on arrival"! My new one is the "new model", I'm told by ITR. I'm expecting no problems during install...chancing that the hoses will be o.k. My local NAPA has 1/2" heater hose by the foot, if I need new hose. We'll see. Again, many thanks, Keith. Larry

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, shower, valve