Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 05:49 AM   #1

Shower remodel

I have replaced all the brass/goldish finished handles, hinges and light fixtures in the coach with brushed nickle finished replacements. It is safe to say back in 2005 the brass/goldish look was the stuff. The only thing left is the shower frame. The fixture and towel bars are simple enough to swap out. My seals and glass are in perfect condition.
My question is, has any one swapped out the metal parts of the shower? If yes, who did you order the shower frame parts from?
I know I could remove everything, take it apart and paint the frame I but prefer to actually replace the frame with a brushed nickle product.

PS: In case you were wondering how many handles and hinges a 2005 4010 has, its about 70 handles and 140+ hinges
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 07:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
If yes, who did you order the shower frame parts from?
We took the MH to a Bluegrass Festival last year. The guy parked next to me worked for a company in Tampa that would custom bend (make) the metal parts. I think he said they would also bend the glass (they have a big oven.).

We are in Napanee this weekend (not with the motorhome) and I don't have the number with me. I'll look when I get home.

-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
We took the MH to a Bluegrass Festival last year. The guy parked next to me worked for a company in Tampa that would custom bend (make) the metal parts. I think he said they would also bend the glass (they have a big oven.).

We are in Napanee this weekend (not with the motorhome) and I don't have the number with me. I'll look when I get home.

-B
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2021, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
I have replaced all the brass/goldish finished handles, hinges and light fixtures in the coach with brushed nickle finished replacements. It is safe to say back in 2005 the brass/goldish look was the stuff. The only thing left is the shower frame. The fixture and towel bars are simple enough to swap out. My seals and glass are in perfect condition.
My question is, has any one swapped out the metal parts of the shower? If yes, who did you order the shower frame parts from?
I know I could remove everything, take it apart and paint the frame I but prefer to actually replace the frame with a brushed nickle product.

PS: In case you were wondering how many handles and hinges a 2005 4010 has, its about 70 handles and 140+ hinges
I did the same thing with my gasser and it improved the looks 100%. Best mod I did to that MH. Mine even had gold striping laid into the wood. I used silver pinstriping to cover that.

Unfortunately, I never figured out how to the do the shower. I thought about taking it apart to paint it, but I was scared it would leak after that.

Gave that MH to me son and he's thrilled to have it.

Wish I had better answer.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

On my house fireplace, had the same anodized gold aluminum surround. I prep-sol cleaned it, sanded with 600 wet/dry sandpaper, cleaned again, masked and painted with bronze paint. Looks perfect.

A shower is going to take a little more abuse but should be fine unless you hit and chip it (like any painted surface). Folks I know have also done same on bathroom fixtures too.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #6

You can try sanding and painting 5e metal parts like mentioned above.

If you want to replace everything head to your nearest glass shop. They can order whatever you need. Chances are they make custom shower enclosures all the time and have enough laying around already.

Someone mentioned heating glass to bend it. You can not alter tempered glass. Once it is manufactured that is it. It can not be modified or cut. Unless done at a glass factory, not a glass shop in your neighborhood. The only glass that can be manipulated is plate glass. Plate glass can be cut and I believe curved to a certain degree.

I build custom houses and do extensive remodels. I deal with one off showers regularly and my glass guy does all the special enclosures. He orders all the metal work and cuts to length etc. All the tempered panels are made to exact specs because like I mentioned earlier, they can’t be changed once made.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
You can try sanding and painting 5e metal parts like mentioned above.

If you want to replace everything head to your nearest glass shop. They can order whatever you need. Chances are they make custom shower enclosures all the time and have enough laying around already.

Someone mentioned heating glass to bend it. You can not alter tempered glass. Once it is manufactured that is it. It can not be modified or cut. Unless done at a glass factory, not a glass shop in your neighborhood. The only glass that can be manipulated is plate glass. Plate glass can be cut and I believe curved to a certain degree.

I build custom houses and do extensive remodels. I deal with one off showers regularly and my glass guy does all the special enclosures. He orders all the metal work and cuts to length etc. All the tempered panels are made to exact specs because like I mentioned earlier, they can’t be changed once made.
I did not think of contacting a large local glass shop. I really don't need the glass as its in great shape. Monday I will give them a call. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Someone mentioned heating glass to bend it. You can not alter tempered glass. Once it is manufactured that is it. It can not be modified or cut. Unless done at a glass factory, not a glass shop in your neighborhood. The only glass that can be manipulated is plate glass. Plate glass can be cut and I believe curved to a certain degree. .
These guys might argue with you.
https://coastalcurvedglass.com/

-B
Old 10-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:

I'm in the exact same boat. Our Phaeton had a similar amount of knobs and hinges. New roller shades and flooring made a big impact. Painting the shower frame doesn't seem like a good option and replacing it is more of a project than I'm willing to bite off. We really like the way the whole remodel has turned out and have decided to live with the gold shower.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
These guys might argue with you.
https://coastalcurvedglass.com/

-B
He is not saying one can't bend glass.
He is saying you can't bend glass that has already been tempered (existing glass in the shower).
And he is exactly correct.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
. The only thing left is the shower frame.

Could you try using steel wool in a small hidden area of the shower frame to remove the old goldish finish? It might give you a similar brushed nickel look.

If you try this the steel wool needs to be moved in the same direction all over the frame to avoid cross scratches. Steel wool comes in various abrasiveness from “0” to “0000” if I remember. Another less abrasive pad is a new 3m scotch brite pad those also come in various abrasiveness levels.

Painting would not last in the wet area of a shower and is high maintenance. IME
(waiting for awning).
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I read somewhere that it could be sandblasted and then powder coated. This is the route I'm hoping to take when I get to the bathroom but I have not done much research on it yet.
Swipular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
He is not saying one can't bend glass.
He is saying you can't bend glass that has already been tempered (existing glass in the shower).
And he is exactly correct.
All I know is that the guy I spoke to said that if my curved shower door glass was broken, his company can build a new one, to include new channels and new glass that they would bend.

This site backs up his claim. Slide down to the shower door section on this page. They bend and temper glass. https://coastalcurvedglass.com/residential/

-B
Old 11-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #14
DJJ

Shower remodel

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	347826[ATTACH]347827[/ATTACH

Home Depot had one in stock that fit. Had to put a little curve to the bottom corners to fit the shower. This is in my 2003 DS. 3803 so might not be the same as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	347827  
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel, shower