Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
dbike199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 102
Shower remodel

I have replaced all the brass/goldish finished handles, hinges and light fixtures in the coach with brushed nickle finished replacements. It is safe to say back in 2005 the brass/goldish look was the stuff. The only thing left is the shower frame. The fixture and towel bars are simple enough to swap out. My seals and glass are in perfect condition.
My question is, has any one swapped out the metal parts of the shower? If yes, who did you order the shower frame parts from?
I know I could remove everything, take it apart and paint the frame I but prefer to actually replace the frame with a brushed nickle product.

PS: In case you were wondering how many handles and hinges a 2005 4010 has, its about 70 handles and 140+ hinges
__________________
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4010, Spartan
2014 Ford Edge Limited
dbike199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
BrokeDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
If yes, who did you order the shower frame parts from?
We took the MH to a Bluegrass Festival last year. The guy parked next to me worked for a company in Tampa that would custom bend (make) the metal parts. I think he said they would also bend the glass (they have a big oven.).

We are in Napanee this weekend (not with the motorhome) and I don't have the number with me. I'll look when I get home.

-B
__________________
2008 MADP 4523 w/Hydralift MC Lift - 2016 Jeep Rubicon HR Unlimited - 2012 Harley FLTRU
2022 Momentum 351MS-R (ordered) - 2022 F450 Platinum (ordered)
Fulltime RVing since 4/16/16 - FMCA F477382
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
dbike199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
We took the MH to a Bluegrass Festival last year. The guy parked next to me worked for a company in Tampa that would custom bend (make) the metal parts. I think he said they would also bend the glass (they have a big oven.).

We are in Napanee this weekend (not with the motorhome) and I don't have the number with me. I'll look when I get home.

-B
Thanks!
__________________
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4010, Spartan
2014 Ford Edge Limited
dbike199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
I have replaced all the brass/goldish finished handles, hinges and light fixtures in the coach with brushed nickle finished replacements. It is safe to say back in 2005 the brass/goldish look was the stuff. The only thing left is the shower frame. The fixture and towel bars are simple enough to swap out. My seals and glass are in perfect condition.
My question is, has any one swapped out the metal parts of the shower? If yes, who did you order the shower frame parts from?
I know I could remove everything, take it apart and paint the frame I but prefer to actually replace the frame with a brushed nickle product.

PS: In case you were wondering how many handles and hinges a 2005 4010 has, its about 70 handles and 140+ hinges
I did the same thing with my gasser and it improved the looks 100%. Best mod I did to that MH. Mine even had gold striping laid into the wood. I used silver pinstriping to cover that.

Unfortunately, I never figured out how to the do the shower. I thought about taking it apart to paint it, but I was scared it would leak after that.

Gave that MH to me son and he's thrilled to have it.

Wish I had better answer.
__________________
2010 Phaeton 40QTH on a PG Chassis.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Metamora, MI
Posts: 5,041
On my house fireplace, had the same anodized gold aluminum surround. I prep-sol cleaned it, sanded with 600 wet/dry sandpaper, cleaned again, masked and painted with bronze paint. Looks perfect.

A shower is going to take a little more abuse but should be fine unless you hit and chip it (like any painted surface). Folks I know have also done same on bathroom fixtures too.
__________________
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Limited 4370 w/ Spartan K2 and Cummins 500hp
ASE Master Certified (a long.....time ago...)
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Hpozzuoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 204
You can try sanding and painting 5e metal parts like mentioned above.

If you want to replace everything head to your nearest glass shop. They can order whatever you need. Chances are they make custom shower enclosures all the time and have enough laying around already.

Someone mentioned heating glass to bend it. You can not alter tempered glass. Once it is manufactured that is it. It can not be modified or cut. Unless done at a glass factory, not a glass shop in your neighborhood. The only glass that can be manipulated is plate glass. Plate glass can be cut and I believe curved to a certain degree.

I build custom houses and do extensive remodels. I deal with one off showers regularly and my glass guy does all the special enclosures. He orders all the metal work and cuts to length etc. All the tempered panels are made to exact specs because like I mentioned earlier, they can’t be changed once made.
__________________
2012 32’ Tiffin Breeze
2007 29’ Winnebago Aspect (Sold)
1983 35’ Bluebird Wanderlodge (Sold)
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dbike199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
You can try sanding and painting 5e metal parts like mentioned above.

If you want to replace everything head to your nearest glass shop. They can order whatever you need. Chances are they make custom shower enclosures all the time and have enough laying around already.

Someone mentioned heating glass to bend it. You can not alter tempered glass. Once it is manufactured that is it. It can not be modified or cut. Unless done at a glass factory, not a glass shop in your neighborhood. The only glass that can be manipulated is plate glass. Plate glass can be cut and I believe curved to a certain degree.

I build custom houses and do extensive remodels. I deal with one off showers regularly and my glass guy does all the special enclosures. He orders all the metal work and cuts to length etc. All the tempered panels are made to exact specs because like I mentioned earlier, they can’t be changed once made.
I did not think of contacting a large local glass shop. I really don't need the glass as its in great shape. Monday I will give them a call. Thanks for the idea.
__________________
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4010, Spartan
2014 Ford Edge Limited
dbike199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BrokeDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Someone mentioned heating glass to bend it. You can not alter tempered glass. Once it is manufactured that is it. It can not be modified or cut. Unless done at a glass factory, not a glass shop in your neighborhood. The only glass that can be manipulated is plate glass. Plate glass can be cut and I believe curved to a certain degree. .
These guys might argue with you.
https://coastalcurvedglass.com/

-B
__________________
2008 MADP 4523 w/Hydralift MC Lift - 2016 Jeep Rubicon HR Unlimited - 2012 Harley FLTRU
2022 Momentum 351MS-R (ordered) - 2022 F450 Platinum (ordered)
Fulltime RVing since 4/16/16 - FMCA F477382
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
vseasport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Buena Vista, Baja California Sur
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
I have replaced all the brass/goldish finished handles, hinges and light fixtures in the coach with brushed nickle finished replacements. It is safe to say back in 2005 the brass/goldish look was the stuff. The only thing left is the shower frame. The fixture and towel bars are simple enough to swap out. My seals and glass are in perfect condition.
My question is, has any one swapped out the metal parts of the shower? If yes, who did you order the shower frame parts from?
I know I could remove everything, take it apart and paint the frame I but prefer to actually replace the frame with a brushed nickle product.

PS: In case you were wondering how many handles and hinges a 2005 4010 has, its about 70 handles and 140+ hinges
I'm in the exact same boat. Our Phaeton had a similar amount of knobs and hinges. New roller shades and flooring made a big impact. Painting the shower frame doesn't seem like a good option and replacing it is more of a project than I'm willing to bite off. We really like the way the whole remodel has turned out and have decided to live with the gold shower.
__________________
Mark & Jen Rayor, Baja Ca Sur, Mexico
04 Phaeton 38, 3126E Cat 330 AKA "Big Pooper"
"Mini Cooper" S toad
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:00 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Metamora, MI
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
These guys might argue with you.
https://coastalcurvedglass.com/

-B
He is not saying one can't bend glass.
He is saying you can't bend glass that has already been tempered (existing glass in the shower).
And he is exactly correct.
__________________
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Limited 4370 w/ Spartan K2 and Cummins 500hp
ASE Master Certified (a long.....time ago...)
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #11
Member
 
FloridaSon's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: West of the San Roman
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
. The only thing left is the shower frame.

PS: In case you were wondering how many handles and hinges a 2005 4010 has, its about 70 handles and 140+ hinges
Could you try using steel wool in a small hidden area of the shower frame to remove the old goldish finish? It might give you a similar brushed nickel look.

If you try this the steel wool needs to be moved in the same direction all over the frame to avoid cross scratches. Steel wool comes in various abrasiveness from “0” to “0000” if I remember. Another less abrasive pad is a new 3m scotch brite pad those also come in various abrasiveness levels.

Painting would not last in the wet area of a shower and is high maintenance. IME
__________________
2022 Kountry Star 3412
9/20/2021 Ordered
1/10/2022 99% Completed
(waiting for awning).
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Lacombe, La
Posts: 13
I read somewhere that it could be sandblasted and then powder coated. This is the route I'm hoping to take when I get to the bathroom but I have not done much research on it yet.
Swipular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:01 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
BrokeDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
He is not saying one can't bend glass.
He is saying you can't bend glass that has already been tempered (existing glass in the shower).
And he is exactly correct.
All I know is that the guy I spoke to said that if my curved shower door glass was broken, his company can build a new one, to include new channels and new glass that they would bend.

This site backs up his claim. Slide down to the shower door section on this page. They bend and temper glass. https://coastalcurvedglass.com/residential/

-B
__________________
2008 MADP 4523 w/Hydralift MC Lift - 2016 Jeep Rubicon HR Unlimited - 2012 Harley FLTRU
2022 Momentum 351MS-R (ordered) - 2022 F450 Platinum (ordered)
Fulltime RVing since 4/16/16 - FMCA F477382
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #14
DJJ
Senior Member
 
DJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 361
Shower remodel

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	347826[ATTACH]347827[/ATTACH

Home Depot had one in stock that fit. Had to put a little curve to the bottom corners to fit the shower. This is in my 2003 DS. 3803 so might not be the same as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	347827  
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
remodel, shower



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wet Bay and Shower remodel Gdawgs Monaco Owner's Forum 8 06-17-2018 05:28 PM
Remodel my bathroom bathtub to shower US RV As-is iRV2.com General Discussion 1 03-31-2018 05:23 PM
Class A shower remodel vmelroe Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 05-25-2017 05:43 PM
New Shower Remodel Wryly Blithe Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 07-24-2016 02:55 PM
Shower remodel USMCRET Newmar Owner's Forum 2 08-22-2011 05:39 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.