Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Shower valve replacement

The shower valve in our coach broke and we got in the new assembly in from Newmar today. I tried detaching the valve mount from the shower wall and attempting to pull it out to access the rear...no such luck. Only minor movement, certainly not enough to access the rear.

Does this job require access from the rear ?? If so, looks like I'll have to cut a access panel in the bedroom wall. Does anyone have any experience with replacing a shower valve in a coach similar to mine, or cutting an access panel in the wall of your coach??
mineralslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We had to have the shower head connection repaired in our coach. Newmar had to remove the wall behind the shower to access it. So you're going to need to either figure out how to move the whole wall or you'll have to cut a hole.

joe
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Keeping in mind that My RV is a Kountryaire 5er and the shower ajoins the living room wall. Behind the TV in the living room is a cover plate which accesses to the shower faucet and the shower head pipe. Perhaps you may be that fortunate also
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #4

Do you need to replace the shower valve or the valve stem. Moen sent me a new valve stem assembly with a special plastic wrench insert to remove the stem. The Valve frame was not a problem, I just needed to remove the inner mechanism. This was in itself rather stressfull, as I was affraid I would break the plastic hoses, but help from a friend, lots of WD-40, and some carefully placed wooden supports finally did the trick.
Before you drill holes in walls you might want to consult a plumber. Yes it is a motorhome, but the plumbing fixtures are still the same.
Good Luck.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

Got a bit deeper into this issue today. Looks like the cold water valve thread broke off in the socket...therefore the handle and upper part of the valve steam just rotates round and round and leaks.

I may be able to get the broken piece out and just replace the valve itself. But, if I have to replace the whole valve assembly, believe I will have to go into the bedroom, remove a shirt closet, open up the wall with a flush mounted access panel, make the repair, then put the shirt closet back on the wall. The access panel will like be half in the closet and half out...partly out the bottom and partly out the front of the closet. What a pain !!!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Before you drill holes in walls you might want to consult a plumber. Yes it is a motorhome, but the plumbing fixtures are still the same.

Great advice...was about to put in an access panel, but my wife called a plummer at the last minute. $40 and the faucet was changed...all is good. Sad part was DW watched him... but couldn't tell me how he did it. ...
Old 09-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralslee View Post
The shower valve in our coach broke and we got in the new assembly in from Newmar today. I tried detaching the valve mount from the shower wall and attempting to pull it out to access the rear...no such luck. Only minor movement, certainly not enough to access the rear.

Does this job require access from the rear ?? If so, looks like I'll have to cut a access panel in the bedroom wall. Does anyone have any experience with replacing a shower valve in a coach similar to mine, or cutting an access panel in the wall of your coach??
I an having the same problem, Mine is rusted out and needs replaced but there is no way around the fact that there is no access. Do they thing that the faucet will last forever or that no one will keep it that long. Very frustrated.
Cat Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, shower