RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

Shower water is too hot

I seem to be having the opposite problems from most people. The water in all the faucets is fine. The hot water alone is fine, and when moved to the middle the water is warm as it should be. However, in my shower the water is scalding, and when moving the handle to the middle, it is still scalding, and when moving to the right, to bring in more cold water...the water actually shuts off.

I have taken the handle out and looked at the cartridge. I reversed part of it, and the problem reversed itself. I couldn't get any hot water. I ordered a new one just to be sure.

I've read DS Don's posts about the Oasis unit, but I can't find any other posts where anybody has encountered this issue.

Any input?
Thanks!

tommybrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #2

Has it always been this way or did it just start recently?

No doubt, you're not getting any cold water to the shower faucet. Since the other faucets work normally, there could be a block in the cold water line to the shower. If you can get to the back side of the shower valve, take the cold line off and turn on the water pump to see if any water comes out. If not, you'll need to work your way back up the water line to any connections you can open to check for water flow.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #3

It's been like that since we picked up the coach (3 weeks ago).

What you describe makes sense, however when I took the cartridge out and apart, I was able to flip around the piece inside, and then I only got cold water, no hot water.
tommybrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like your cold water supply line to the shower is valved off prior to reaching the fixture.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybrady View Post

What you describe makes sense, however when I took the cartridge out and apart, I was able to flip around the piece inside, and then I only got cold water, no hot water.
Based on that, it would seem that the problem is the cartridge and/or the faucet. If a replacement cartridge doesn't solve the problem, I'd just replace the faucet.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Based on that, it would seem that the problem is the cartridge and/or the faucet. If a replacement cartridge doesn't solve the problem, I'd just replace the faucet.
It seems obvious both your hot & cold supply to the valve are OK as you get both under different conditions.
The problem seems to be in the valve unit. Could one side be blocked or maybe not machined open? So you only get hot or cold but not both /mix?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

I actually had the opposite issue. No hot water, only cold water. Below is the thread that documents my issue.

Sounds like you may have a similar problem.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/sho...ml#post5055107
ftharrisiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybrady View Post

So it's always been this way since you got it. There is a possibility that the original owner had a water leak in the valve and replaced the cartridge with the incorrect part for your shower valve.

Take the cartridge out again and examine it closely to see why water may come out one side of it and not the other side. The clog sounds like it might be inside the cartridge since turning it around gives you the opposite temperature water. You have both hot and cold water to the mixer valve, just not coming through the cartridge.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #9

Shower valve replacement

Check out this thread that discussed the shower mixer valve.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/que...-343646-9.html

My posts start with #119.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
See the screws on each side of the main control. Right side should be the cold supply and the Left is the Hot supply. Just turn the screw either horizontal or vertical, this will open and close the supply.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had this at my old house. It turned out there was a screen that would get plugged up with white chunks it was actually between the water line and the faucet inlet. If you can not find this screen then it is probably internal and the faucet would need to be replaced. I replaced my faucet for like $10 I believe in my motorhome.

Tags
shower, water